It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board

• tramadol - anyone else taking it?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-18-2007, 08:28 AM   #1
    gunner00
    (female)

gunner00 HB User
    tramadol - anyone else taking it?

Recently (October) put on Tramadol 50mg 2x day.
    Also, taking Lyrica 50mg 2x day and Clonzepam .5mg at night.
    Tramadol seemed to be working, no side effects that I was aware of.

Recently, had a really weird flare up. Usually I can feel a flare up coming on, I have a couple of bad days, then I start to feel better with in couple days.
    This time - the weather had been causing increased joint pain for about three days. Then on Monday started feeling shakey from the inside - out. On Tuesday complete melt down - shakey from head to toe, couldn't controll my muscles, felt like I could colapse, dizzy, nausea, my train of thought was uncontrollable. Wednesday, woke up felt fine just alittle shakey. Since then have had periods of dizziness and shakiness but nothing major. Sleep hasn't been as good and muscles have increased in tightness.

Have done some research on Tramadol. Found some side effects - dizziness, weakness, difficulty sleeping, muscle tightness, and uncontrollable shaking. Also, found posts re: it being addictive.

Starting to think this flare up maybe connected to meds.
    Anyone else have experiences with this drug?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-18-2007, 08:36 AM   #2
    AnnD
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

AnnD HB UserAnnD HB User
    Re: tramadol - anyone else taking it?

Yes Tramadol is addictive however, you are not on a significant amount to produce such violent reaction although anything is possible. I would be more inclined to think you are reacting to the Lyrica. The side effects from that match your symptoms more closely.

Old 11-18-2007, 08:53 AM   #3
    gunner00
    (female)

gunner00 HB User

Been on Lyrica since February and haven't had any problems with it. No side effects at all. Not even the things/side effects I have seen listed on the drug info sites.

This weird stuff started happening after I started the Tramadol.

Don't know if the combo of the drugs maybe the problem?

Old 11-18-2007, 09:15 AM   #4
    jam338
    Veteran
    (female)

jam338 HB Userjam338 HB Userjam338 HB Userjam338 HB Userjam338 HB Userjam338 HB User

The only way to know for sure is elimination trial period to isolate which one is doing it, if any. Sometimes just weird things happen with FM.

Old 11-18-2007, 12:33 PM   #5
    neurowreck
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

neurowreck HB User

I'm also on clonazepam 4mg at night, and tramadol 3x daily if needed - I don't take it often, but have had no problems with it. Lyrica was like anesthesia for me- knocked me on my butt....I won't ever touch the stuff again.

Also, addiction is quite rare in people with physical pain. You can become physically dependent, which just means your body gets used to it being there- addiction involves cravings, using for emotional 'highs' , etc.... Addiction can happen, but it's not the same as physcial dependence..... think of caffeine, for all the coffee and tea drinkers, and going off of that- the cravings are there. You're more likely to be addicted to caffeine (which does involve physical dependence, but also has the emotional craving). If you're not craving the meds, but seeking pain relief, the rates of addiction to meds is small.

Last edited by neurowreck; 11-18-2007 at 12:35 PM. Reason: addition

Old 11-18-2007, 02:03 PM   #6
    kirstee
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

kirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB User

Hi Gunner:
    I take tramadol from time to time, but I only take 1/2 tablet now and then. I recommend you talk to your doctor about these symptoms as you do not want to assume anything. Give him/her a call tomorrow morning.

Blessings,
    Kirstee

Old 11-18-2007, 05:38 PM   #7
    jam338
    Veteran
    (female)

jam338 HB Userjam338 HB Userjam338 HB Userjam338 HB Userjam338 HB Userjam338 HB User

hi Gunner, I also take Tramadol. Actually I have active RXs for both, Vicodin and Tramadol (not to be used at the same time!) So, I have a choice of what I want to take. For me, the Tramadol helps far more than the Vicodin. However, for some people Tramadol does nothing. Maybe they are not taking it at high enough levels. It is RX'd at 50 and 100 mg levels and the maximum is 4X [email protected] On my bad days it requires 100 mg, but usually only 3X daily. Right now I am able to cope with 100 mg 2X daily. The morning dose I will have to keep at 100mg because mornings are so horrid for me, but I am ready to drop the evening dose down to 50mg. Important though to TAPER when adjusting dose levels. Even though Tramadol is not a controlled narcotic opiate; it IS a synthetic opiate and acts on the same body receptors. So, it WILL require a taper when lowering dose.

I have also found that for me, it helps boost the effectiveness of Tramadol when taken w/Ibuprofen.

Last edited by jam338; 11-19-2007 at 10:02 AM.

Old 11-18-2007, 08:51 PM   #8
    BeHappy2
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

BeHappy2 HB UserBeHappy2 HB UserBeHappy2 HB UserBeHappy2 HB User

Hi Gunner00,
    I also am taking Lyrica and Tramadol daily. I have symptoms that you are describing, but for me i know its not the meds. I had these symptoms before being on these 2 meds.
    Since everyone does not respond the same to meds, you may need to discuss this with your doc, maybe meds need adjusted.
    Just wanted to let you know your not the only one having these symptoms but like i said before, my symptoms came before Lyrica and Tramodol.
    Wish you the best on figuring if its your meds or a Fibro flare.

BeHappy2

Old 11-27-2007, 08:44 PM   #9
    builder
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

builder HB Userbuilder HB User

I've been on Tramadol for three years. I have to take it everyday. I can't remember a day I was not in some kind of pain. Actually it takes those symptoms you mention away for me. I do think it is the combination of the drugs. I have taken Tramadol with Vicodin and Aleve when I get real bad and have had no problems.

Old 11-29-2007, 08:43 AM   #10
    kimschateau
    (female)

kimschateau HB User

Hi there-
    I have been on Tramadol for a couple years now. I did however take myself off of it to see if it was making much difference. I didn't find that it helped me much. I only take Tramadol and Vicodin when I am having a bad flare up. As for my day to day pain, I take Ibuprofen. I tried so many different combinations and I just haven't found the right mix. Right now I am on about 5 different pills, specifically for the Fibro. I have tried Lyrica, it helped for a little while. It may take you a while to get the right mix of meds, it can get frustrating, but having a great understanding doctor is key to making it all come together.
    Good Luck

Old 11-30-2007, 05:28 AM   #11
    hippydave
    (male)

hippydave HB User

think i posted in another tramadol thread not long ago.
    i've been taking it for about 2 years, four times a day. sometimes one capsule (50mg), usually two. it helps a fair bit. for most of that time i've been taking paracetamol (acetaminophen) along with it, and just for the last couple of months i've been taking diclofenac (an antiinflammatory - similar to ibuprofen but stronger) too - between the three of them, i'm pretty comfortable (except on bad days) - tho the pain comes and goes as one dose wears off and i wait for the next to take effect. i want to ask my gp about getting the slow-release form of tramadol for this reason.

it's not addictive like most opiates in the sense of giving you a high which encourages you to take more to regain that high - since my body got used to tramadol it basically has no effect on how i feel except for relieving pain (and before i got used to it it made me sleepy/sedated, but not high or intoxicated). however if you take it regularly it does cause dependence, which means your body gets used to having the tramadol there as part of its normal functioning, so if you suddenly stop taking it you get withdrawal symptoms. i've had this a few times when i've run out and my repeat prescription has got delayed, it's very unpleasant - cold sweats, diarrhoea, irritability and restlessness - but it's not actually dangerous. if for whatever reason you choose to stop taking tramadol after you've been taking it regularly for a while, you should taper off it gradually to minimise the withdrawal - the exception would be if you happened to get particularly bad side-effects from the drug (which is highly unlikely) your doctor might want you to stop taking it immediately.

Closed Thread