It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board

• Does anyone wonder when you get a flare...

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-13-2008, 06:27 AM   #1
    likesacookie
    (female)

likesacookie HB User
    Does anyone wonder when you get a flare...

Every time I get a flair I panic. Of course, I try to do it as calmly as possible, so as not to aggravate the flare. I am always afraid that THAT flare will be the one that takes me down. I fairly regularly get small flares that last only a few days before I go back to being okay. But every time one starts I am terrified that it's going to be THE ONE. Does anyone else experience this, or is that just part of my anxiety?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-13-2008, 11:43 AM   #2
    kathryn+2
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

kathryn+2 HB Userkathryn+2 HB User
    Re: Does anyone wonder when you get a flare...

Yes ,I'm feeling like that right now. I really overdid it at Christmas and I'm still paying for it. I've been in a flare ever since, and sometimes I'm afraid it's not just a flare ,but a progression of the disease ( I also have lupus) and it's not going to go away. But I still have high hopes that it will go away,so I'm trying to go with the "this too shall pass" mentality. I'm still trying to deal with the fact that I really DO have fibro and lupus as I was just diagnosed in May. So I'm not that familiar with flares yet. For me it's day by day ,and I try not to project how I'll feel tomorrow.
    good luck and hang in there, Kat

Old 01-14-2008, 12:02 AM   #3
    CloudySkies
    (female)

CloudySkies HB User

Hi there,

I was just diagnosed with Fibro this past June and in the same place as both of you are right now as well. I was in another car accident this past Sept. and am still trying to get back to where I was prior to that...it's been a battle, and I'm still fighting to get back. My fear is exactly that...could this flare be THE ONE that I don't come back from? I try not to think that way, but it's been 4 mths now and the flared symptoms have not settled, as a matter of fact, things have gotten worse the last 6-8 weeks (and I know part of the cause is our weather - I'm from Manitoba, one of the Canadian prairie provinces which is known for its bitter cold winters).

Anyway, I have found that this forum has been helping me already in such a short time and I can't thank you all enough. I'll keep my head held high and my heart hopeful, that "this too shall pass". Healthier and happier days ahead!

Many blessings ~

Last edited by CloudySkies; 01-14-2008 at 12:03 AM.

Old 01-14-2008, 06:17 AM   #4
    bluelakelady
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

bluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB User

take a deep breath ladies,
    no such thing as "the one". every flare is different in how it expresses itself. some are short, some long. again there is no reason to fear, flares end. i was in a wheelchair in 96 and thought that was the end. i was wrong. i like being wrong.
    the fear is unfounded. just tell yourself that. there is no reason for the fear. honestly, i think until you get a handle on it fear is part of fibro. it used to be a big part of it for me. now it is an echo. fear feeds fibro its favorite food. it increases pain during a flare.
    deep breaths, calm thoughts.
    peace,
    bluelakelady

Old 01-14-2008, 12:16 PM   #5
    peaches125
    (female)

peaches125 HB User

Hi everyone, I'm new here and find this board to be a wealth of support as well as information. I too am in a bad flare and have been since September. Haven't been able to drive a car or do my regular housekeeping duties. Thank God my husband is as understanding and helpful as he is. You have my understanding and I am so sorry you are in this condition. I think stress is the biggest cause of fibro. flares. (anyway for me it has been). My Dr. has put me on 60mg of cymbalta and I take ambien cr for sleep. I have been on this for over a month and find it is helping me sleep but not much help with the pain as yet. All I can say is the same as Bluelake lady (hope that is right), think pleasant and positive thoughts.

Old 01-16-2008, 10:44 AM   #6
    Grapedy
    (female)

Grapedy HB User

Ambien is known to cause event amnesia. It happened to my mom. The story is really funny, so we're constantly teasing her about it. And her car will never let her forget what happened. She ran over a stop sign and put a hole in her plastic bumper.

I've never had amnesia with Ambien, but I do have auditory hallucinations.

Is Sonata or Rozeram approved in Canada? Those work differently than Ambien. There's also generic Resteril, temazepam. It's an ancient drug but still works quite well for a lot of people. It's the only one my sister can take, everything else sends her on an acid trip.

Closed Thread