It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board

• Questions Re Lyrica

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-15-2008, 09:50 AM   #1
    kate26444
    Inactive
    (female)

kate26444 HB User
    Questions Re Lyrica

I started taking Lyrica just before Christmas and it has worked wonderful...so far. If you're taking Lyrica what dosage are you taking? Did you start out lower and then increase after a week or so?

The Lyrica website suggests a lower dosage, three times a day and then after a week it should be raised for the treatment of fibro. Kate

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-15-2008, 05:33 PM   #2
    gunner00
    (female)

gunner00 HB User
    Re: Questions Re Lyrica

I also take Lyrica. I am prescriped 50mg 3x a day. I have been taking it since Feb 2007. It has been a god send. Even though I am prescriped 3x a day I only take 2. My daily schedule makes it hard to get all three pills in and my stomach doesn't handle all the pill I have to take very well. My doctor isn't happy with me because I don't take it as prescribed but my pain/symptoms are under controll with the 2x. I don't like taking any more meds then I feel necessary.
    It is a time release pill and by the AM I am missing the third pill but I bounce back pretty fast once I take the
    1st AM pill.
    I started taking my pills slowly. One pill a day for a while then I increased to two since I read that Lyrica may cause seizures. Like I said I never have made it to the third.
    I haven't had to have the dosages increase but everyone is different.
    I have also heard that there maybe a tendency for it to loose its effectiveness. Mine is still working at this dosage for almost a year now. I hope that it doesn't change.
    There are alot of people who don't like this drug but it gave me back the use of my hands - almost pain free. I can't say enough good things about it.

Old 01-16-2008, 06:13 AM   #3
    Backinthesaddle
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Backinthesaddle HB User

ditto on that

Old 01-16-2008, 06:34 AM   #4
    NY 1009
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

NY 1009 HB UserNY 1009 HB UserNY 1009 HB User

I am so glad to see someone say something positive about this drug.
    I was given a script for it a few months ago and I didnt' have it filled because I lost my insurance.
    I now am on medicaid and can get it filled, but I wanted to see how others felt aobut taking it.
    I am so relieved to see it isnt' that bad to take.
    I did have a seizure once in my life back in the year 2000. I didn't tell my rheumy dr this and now I'm concerned seeing you mentioned it has caused seizures in some patients in studies.

so it actually takes all the pain away in your fingers so you can move them without pain? it makes me want to run out and fill the script.
    my pain is only getting worst in all my joints since I stopped taking medicine last month. my last script was Diclofenac 75 mg. once a day and it was great at first. but it eventually stopped working as effectivly when I first started it, so the dr rx'd me the lyrica.

Is it making your hands and feet swell like they mention on the precautions on the commerical? my hands and fingers are so swollen and sausage like in the mornings to begin with that it's hard to bend my fingers and it hurts,.
    I have to stuff my feet in my shoes that I once used to be able to just slip on.
    I don't understand why I'm swelling like this and am wondering if my osteoarthritis is just causing it? or is there some kidney dysfuction going on being I had a stone last year. my kidney became swollen and backed up. just slightly but enough where it caused pain and problems with urination.

I never went for a follow up test called an IVP? I only had new insurance for only a month before I lost my job so wasn't able to get that specific test performed.

my therapist told me to give the lyrica a try and if I do feel any horrible side effects from it, that I can just stop it.

isn't it considered an antipsychotic drug or a psychotrophic? something like that? because I"ve been on types of medicine like that for my mental illness and it really does not agree with my body. it's horrible as a matter of fact.

I'm trying to do as much research as possible before I fill the prescription and that's why your posts caught my eye. I"m greatful to see others posting on it too.

I wish you all the best.

Linda

Old 01-16-2008, 08:24 AM   #5
    monalisa95
    (female)

monalisa95 HB User
    Exclamation Re: Questions Re Lyrica

I have been on Lyrica for a year now. My neuro presribed it and Cymbalta for my pain. While I can say that it has helped some with the pain BEWARE - I have gained over 15 lbs on this drug. At my next visit, I am going to ask about going off of it. I have been unable to lose the weight.

Old 01-16-2008, 08:50 AM   #6
    Backinthesaddle
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Backinthesaddle HB User

Mona did you gain the weight because you are eating more? I know that some people gain weight but I wonder if it is because of increased eating.

As far as swelling, my body sometimes feels swollen and that is usually due to not drinking enough water. My fingers are swollen in the morning time and also hurt and as the day goes on they get better.

Lyrica is not any kind of anti psychotic drug it is a anti seizure medicine and that is different then a anti psychotic drug.

Old 01-16-2008, 10:25 AM   #7
    Grapedy
    (female)

Grapedy HB User

The incidence of seizure with Lyrica is pretty rare. The drug companies are required by law to list all potentially deadly side effects, even if there's only been 1 instance reported. And it may not even be linked directly to Lyrica. When a drug is in trials, the manufacturer has to list every single thing that happens to the patients taking it, whether it's related to the drug or not.

A lot of drugs that we take cause weight gain by increasing appetite. My Remeron made me gain 25 pounds. But in my case that was perfectly ok because I was 30 pounds underweight anyway. I've been cursed/blessed with an unnaturally fast metabolism.

You still have to practice portion control. It's not so much about what you eat as it is how much you eat.

Old 01-17-2008, 06:09 AM   #8
    NY 1009
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Oh my gosh Mona lisa,
    that was my biggest fear but I didn't want to say anything if no one else mentioned it. but you did and I had heard on the commercial that it tends to make people gain weight. YIKES! 15 lbs?
    I am definetly NOT going on this medication.
    thanks for posting this important factor. there has to be other med's out there for pain.
    bye for now,
    Linda

Old 01-17-2008, 06:19 AM   #9
    tiredpoet
    Veteran
    (female)

tiredpoet HB User

I don't know much about how Lyrica works in the body, but I am terrified to try anything that lists weight gain as a possible side effect. I have tried several drugs--I can't remember the name of them all, but amitryptiline was definitely one (and a few others, they were all for different things and worked differently in the body). I gained weight with them and did not have an increase in appetite. With the amitryptiline I gained 8 pounds in the first week, probably some of it water, and after 6 months I didn't fit into any of my clothes. Back then I wasn't as bad as I am now so I was actually still able to exercise 3 or 4 times a week, and I ate very healthy and not a lot.

I would love to hear from anyone who knows exactly how different meds cause weight gain. I'm sure some are from an increase in appetite but others have to have some kind of reaction in the body that causes the extra weight.

It's not a vanity thing for me and I suspect it's not for anyone else. We've been feeling crappy for years, but I genuinely feel that we need to do everything we can to feel good about ourselves.

The biggest thing that scares me about Lyrica though is the side effect of fatigue--has anyone experienced this? I normally don't consider side effects very much. Every med has to list any possible side effect, even the rare ones, and I hardly ever get any of the side effects of meds, but my goal is to get my life and energy back, so when I see fatigue it's a red flag.

Old 01-17-2008, 06:36 AM   #10
    NY 1009
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Yes tired poet,
    my therapist told me this class of drug can make you extremely tired. that's why I was told to take it at bed time. but I see some here have to take 3x's a day? or maybe I'm getting that mixed up with another medication.
    I do know they start the patient off on a very low dosage so you can tolerate the side effects of it.
    I dont' need to feel anymore tired than I already do. I'm constantly exhausted and there are times where my eye lids are heavy and I turn into this drowsy spell as if I'm going to fall asleep right where I'm at. whether it be driving, or just conversing with someone. it's horrible.
    my medication is not doing this to me. my illness is.
    so I too am afraid to take anything that will make me tired.
    side effects of medication is different for everyone though.
    but I do know that the number one side effect of lyrica is tiredness.

oh, and thank you "back in the saddle" for telling me that lyrica is an anti seizure medication and not an anti psychotic, I wasn't sure.

I'm not hearing alot of good things about this drug.

thank you all for sharing your experiences with it.

sincerely,
    Linda

Old 01-17-2008, 07:34 AM   #11
    monalisa95
    (female)

monalisa95 HB User

I've thought about what some have written about weight gain vs. increased appeitte. I guess for me, it's more of an increase in appetite rather than just weight gain. Wow, that's depressing.

Also, I was originally told to take one in the AM and one before bed. The AM pill made me sooo sleepy, I was falling asleep at work. I had to stop taking that dose. Now I just take one before bedtime.

Old 01-17-2008, 10:04 AM   #12
    Clerklady
    (female)

Clerklady HB User

Hi All,

I thought I would give you my imput on Lyrica. I have been on it for about 4 months, my Dr did start me at a low dose, and continued up towards my dosage now, 25mg twice a day.. The only side effect I had was a very very bad headache and it went away after a week or so, I can tell it has helped with my nerve pain. I take one in the morning along with a pain med Ultram 25mg, that does not make me tired, so I think it offsets the tiredness the lyrica brings on. I take one at night along with a 2mg valium for muscle spams. I also have buldging disc in my neck and am waiting to see a rhumy dr because they think I might have fibro or RA, so we will see. I work full time and set at my desk all day which does not help with any of my problems. Most days with the med's I take I feel about 4 hours really good and then my body starts to ache and by quitting time I am wore completly out. I know it seems like low doses of all but I only weight 106# and am 5'1, so I can't tolorate high doseages, i usualy take a valium when I get home from work to loosen up and get supper and the house cleaned up, kids homework done etc....

I have gain about 6 # but I am under weight anyway, the weight came pretty fast. I have not felt it to be an increase in appatite, I do not eat mor than I did before. I do feel swollen in the mornings when I get up and some days can hardly move because of the joint and muscle pain. I am 45 and also have ostoprosis,and have decided not to take the fosamax as prescribed because of the horror of side effects. I have also started taking a B12 in the mornings also, I am not sure if it is the cause yet (only been taking it a week or so)but I have been sleeping much better, much better and I do not feel like it is a drung induced sleep.
    I have noticed that the B12 helps a lot with the numbness and I just feel better. So I am contrubuting it to the B12. I only take one a day and take it in the morning, It gives me energy,so it offset the tiredness of the lyrica also. But if taken to much it will give the triedness effect. I have just gotten the referral to a Rhumy Dr last week, so the lyrica came before the Dr was even thinking I might have Fibro. or RA. I do not have alot of the symptoms that everyone here has. I do know that what I am feeling is not all contrbuted to the disc in my neck which I am not sure if they have gotten bad enough for surgery yet, will deal with that next. I do have a symptom of my knees, when I sleep they like fall asleep and feel really swollen, tingly to touch them, But they look normal, once I get up and move around they do not hurt very bad, just weird feeling, but this is only happens when I nap or sleep at night. My Dr, told me that was the craziest thing she had heard, but I do have the tender points, and my joints especially my elbow bones hurt, I can hardly pick up a pot of coffee in the morning and it contunues throughout the day. I guess I will surely find out, RA runs in my family so I am not ruling that out either.

I will have to say after all this, sorry so long the lyrica had helped me very much from where I was three months ago. I would recommed it to anyone, give it a try, the efftects will take about 2 to 3 weeks but it is worth it in my book to be able to still work and take care of my family. If it does not work and the side eftects are to much you can always discontinue, med's work different for differnt people, I have tried so many things to get some relief the last 2 years, I get so many of the side effects I usually can't take alot of stuff, but I have been able to tolorate the lyrica and it has been a blessing to me. If anyone has not tried it, try some B12, I take 500 mg in the mornings
    give it a couple of days and see if it works, we all know our bodies so well , you will know if it is something you may not want to take.

Just my input and humble opinion, God bless you all, Denise

Last edited by Clerklady; 01-17-2008 at 10:17 AM.

Old 01-18-2008, 06:59 AM   #13
    kate26444
    Inactive
    (female)

kate26444 HB User

Thank you for your input. When I first started lyrica, I felt absolutely drained for about two days and then miraculously one day I felt like my old self for a change. I had so much energy I just couldn't believe it. I got all kinds of Christmas things done.

I feel wonderful taking lyrica. If you're feeling lousey, and it was recommended for you, why would you not try it just because one of the side effects is weight gain? I weigh myself every day and have kept a close eye on my weight. So far, so good. When you're feeling better, you're moving around, getting things done, not lying on the couch feeling horrible.

Extreme exhaustion always precedes one of my flares. The day before I can hardly put one foot in front of the other and then...whamo, I can't get out of bed because every single joint and muscle hurts in my body. I can hardly force myself to walk across the house. This has been happening to me for many, many years. I've finally found something that takes away that exhaustion. I did notice that when my pain seemed particularly bad one day, taking one extra lyrica that day really helped a lot.

I have a Drs. appt. on Thursday and my doctor is sitting on the fence with my fibro. He leans more towards RA than the fibro diagnosis I got from the rheumy. I have absolutely no inflammation or swelling of my joints. I had all the tender points. The last time I went armed with the magazine article, printouts from the Mayo Clinic website, info I got off this website, and insisted he let me try lyrica. Reluctantly he agreed (and he had tons of samples!!). He actually acted offended and said he felt like I was questioning his expertise. Honest to Pete...in this day and age if a doctor thinks they won't be dealing with patients that know something of their disease they must be living in a cave.

Thank you for letting me vent this morning, ha! I'm taking my DH with me for my next appointment. The doctor seems to communicate much better with him...go figure! I just wanted everyone to know the great results I've had with lyrica so far and hope that you'll consider it regardless of the weight gain side effect...I haven't experienced any of them so far. Wouldn't it be worth feeling well for even a week or two? Take care everyone and I hope you all have a wonderful day! Kate

Old 01-19-2008, 03:45 AM   #14
    bevann26
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

bevann26 HB Userbevann26 HB Userbevann26 HB User

i started taking lyrica back in oct.2007....started at 50mg 3xday, now up to 150mg 3xday. my rheumo back in oct. put me on 2 other drugs also...salsalate 750mg 2 2x a day.....flexeral 10mg 3xday.
    i have definitely had an increased appetite from lyrica, i just eat something and w/in 1/2 hr. have to eat again. i've been doing alot of snacking in between meals that i never did before.
    i put on 10lbs, which is alot for me..i am a diabetic, and also have back problems, and degenerative disc and joint disease. it is not good for me to put on weight, it will only make these problems worse.
    i have an appt. with him next tues., when i will tell him about all this. what i hate is the lyrica seems to be helping, i've had no flareups! my body just can't handle the extra weight.
    hope you all have a good w/end......bevann

Old 01-19-2008, 10:03 AM   #15
    1sunny1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

1sunny1 HB User1sunny1 HB User

Hi, I started Lyrica in November. It has helped me immensely. It has not increased my appetite, and I walk 4 to 5 miles a day. I have gained 7 pounds. Now I am just think, do I want to feel better as I do now, or do I want to not gain weight. Of course I want both, so I am trying not to eat, I am on a no eating diet Not really, but I am trying to eat better, like I only have an apple for lunch. Geez, you can't have one without the other.

Sunny

Closed Thread