It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board

• Pain - Vitamin D Deficiency

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-30-2008, 07:28 PM   #1
    Mag311
    (female)

Mag311 HB User
    Pain - Vitamin D Deficiency

Hello Everyone! I know that most of us on this board are suffering in some way or shape and that we are grin and bearing it through the pain. Most doctors I go to tell me...ahh...it is chronic pain just live with it. However, I don't like that answer to much. Anyway...I have developed pain all over my body in joints that were never hurting before and I have no reason why the pain is there. Finally I get to the point and my doc ran some tests. I have a Vitamin D Deficiency.

I encourage all of you with all over pain to have your doc test for that if you haven't already. There is research out there that Vitamin D Deficiency can cause all over muscle pain without any reason to any of it. It occurs mostly in women as well. I am now starting to take 2000 IU of Vitamin D a day to see if their reserach is correct and too see if this will help with all the muscle pain that I have been going thru.

I just wanted to post so that everyone is aware of this and get tested....b/c I reserached all over the internet (Vitamin D Deficiency+Pain) and there is a lot of studies and articles how this can cause pain if you have it. It is such a simple fix.

Goodluck to you all!

Maggie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-30-2008, 10:21 PM   #2
    fibrostuff
    Veteran
    (female)

fibrostuff HB User
    Re: Pain - Vitamin D Deficiency

Yes, some people that think they have fibro might just have Vitamin D deficiency. Some people could have low Vit. D and fibro. Or just fibro. But a test is the best way to rule it out.

I too am taking 2,000/day.

Do you know how low you were?

Old 01-31-2008, 04:59 AM   #3
    sayamyb
    (female)

sayamyb HB User

This is really interesting, since my vitamin d level is a 4, maybe this what is causing my muscle and joint pain.

I just got dx with fibro 2 weeks ago, but have had many symptoms for years and now I am trying to find out as much about it as I can.

Old 01-31-2008, 07:58 AM   #4
    Ishla
    (female)

Ishla HB User

I just got dx'd with vitamin D deficiency myself. I've been taking massive doses of D that you can only get with a script... but after 2 weeks, I can't tell that it's lessening my pain. I'll have to wait a couple of months... but my rhumy said that it is a common problem with fibro.

Old 01-31-2008, 09:31 AM   #5
    Backinthesaddle
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Backinthesaddle HB User

I was in shock when I also showed really low in vitamin D. I have my blood tests done semi yearly and never had a issue. I am pretty low and also on the prescription D plus Citracel 600. I am also really high in B6. What the heck??? I have been wondering if that is a issue. I have lots of tingles and twitches and such I am also wondering if the D will help. Rheumy said it was common with FMS. I almost always eat at least 2 dairy's a day plus a good multi vitamin. How does one become deficiant?

Old 01-31-2008, 11:01 AM   #6
    Mag311
    (female)

Mag311 HB User

Wow...my vitamin D is not near as low as some of yours and my pain is horrible so I cannot imagine what you are all going through. I am so sorry for you! My level was 15. I guess the normal level is 20....but my doc said even 20 is considered low but not really low enough to cause too much concern. So...I am the 2,000 IU a day. It has only been a day so I haven't really seen any of the benefits but I have noticed taking that much vitamin D in one day makes me feel kind of sick. I am hoping that goes away.

As for what foods you can find vitamin D in....really nothing. Vitamin D isn't really a deficiency you get with your diet. It is in Milk that specifies it has Vitamin D in it...but that still isn't enough for your daily intake. More women are supposed to take in 800IU a day...but for some women with deficiency's the reason why we have it is b/c our kidneys and liver cannot process it (from what I understand) and it also makes it difficult for us to process calcium so it is really important we take extra calcium as well. The only vitamin d I have found in foods is really in fish....tuna, salmon, cod, and then the fortified milk.

I had my husband do I lot of research on it since he is a doc and there is so much info out there. It is really important for women that are planning on getting pregnant to take their vtiamin d if they are deficient b/c you are at higher risk for prenancies complications. Major ones.....like Pre-Clampsia (spelling) and then also we aer more risk for cancer, ostoporosis. But right now what is bothering me is the joint and bone pain...and they said that the reason this is, is becuase we lack the vitamin d which helps us retain calcium we are deficient in both...which makes are bones like rubber. So everyday strains and stresses are much harder on us b/c our bones are not solid.

So everyone be careful!! I had to stop riding horses for fear I might fall off while jumping fences and fracture a bone. I will start again after 8 weeks and my test show the vitamin d is up (hopefully).

Old 01-31-2008, 12:19 PM   #7
    Backinthesaddle
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Backinthesaddle HB User

That is what is wierd I had a baby in August on 2005. I never had a problem with it before. I eat right take vitamins and go outside as much as possible. I only got this now. My level was 22.

Old 01-31-2008, 12:57 PM   #8
    Mag311
    (female)

Mag311 HB User

Well the vitamin D deficiency doesn't mean you WILL 100% have problems with pregnancy..you just have a greater chance then the normal gal with no problems. I am glad you had no problems! That is awesome! Also, if your level is 22 I understand from docs that they don't diagnosis you as deficient until you are under 20. But....i am not sure.

Old 01-31-2008, 06:40 PM   #9
    fibrostuff
    Veteran
    (female)

fibrostuff HB User

I think the range is 30-100.
    Since not everyone is the same, you, as an individual might need to be at a different number than someone else. Don't settle for the lowest possible number just because that is "within the range". Work with your doctor. Get a naturopath if you think your doctor isn't very informed about vitamin deficiency.

My number was so low the lab couldn't give the exact number. I had horrible pain that I felt wasn't fibro. My regular doctor never tested for deficiency. And I live in a sunless place!

I am taking 2,000/day and I do feel slightly better- and its been almost 3 months since I started the supplements.

You will have to have patience.

Old 02-01-2008, 05:17 PM   #10
    lildebsks
    (female)

lildebsks HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mag311;3***102
    Wow...my vitamin D is not near as low as some of yours and my pain is horrible so I cannot imagine what you are all going through. I am so sorry for you! My level was 15. I guess the normal level is 20....but my doc said even 20 is considered low but not really low enough to cause too much concern. So...I am the 2,000 IU a day. It has only been a day so I haven't really seen any of the benefits but I have noticed taking that much vitamin D in one day makes me feel kind of sick. I am hoping that goes away.

As for what foods you can find vitamin D in....really nothing. Vitamin D isn't really a deficiency you get with your diet. It is in Milk that specifies it has Vitamin D in it...but that still isn't enough for your daily intake. More women are supposed to take in 800IU a day...but for some women with deficiency's the reason why we have it is b/c our kidneys and liver cannot process it (from what I understand) and it also makes it difficult for us to process calcium so it is really important we take extra calcium as well. The only vitamin d I have found in foods is really in fish....tuna, salmon, cod, and then the fortified milk.

I had my husband do I lot of research on it since he is a doc and there is so much info out there. It is really important for women that are planning on getting pregnant to take their vtiamin d if they are deficient b/c you are at higher risk for prenancies complications. Major ones.....like Pre-Clampsia (spelling) and then also we aer more risk for cancer, ostoporosis. But right now what is bothering me is the joint and bone pain...and they said that the reason this is, is becuase we lack the vitamin d which helps us retain calcium we are deficient in both...which makes are bones like rubber. So everyday strains and stresses are much harder on us b/c our bones are not solid.

So everyone be careful!! I had to stop riding horses for fear I might fall off while jumping fences and fracture a bone. I will start again after 8 weeks and my test show the vitamin d is up (hopefully).

Old 02-01-2008, 05:27 PM   #11
    lildebsks
    (female)

lildebsks HB User
    Talking Re: Pain - Vitamin D Deficiency and some of my own questions

Hi I am fairly new to this board come when I can. I have some replys & some questions for myself

I have been suffering with bad pain,not sure how I am managing working a physical job..I have been diagnosed with low vit d ,and wanting to pipe in on one thing I havefound with research

It can take awhile to get numbers up & make sure your body is getting the right dose. The thing is eating foods & especially getting out in the sun we can have problems absorbing & transferring it into vit d into our bodies... and when we work & are adults we just dont get enough sunshine & then cant absorb it

No wonder!

I have been on 5,000 d3 a day for 5 months & see no change! Now my eyes hurt & are twitchig

I think we need to take blood ....& see if I need more.... some poeple go on prescription higher amounts! Does anyone do vit d shots..the rx vit d whats the diffrnce from a vitamn d3 I get at my dr?

Im hoping this is vit d related not fibromalagia

It got worse in winter but I could not manage outside in summer either! I just endure the pain..but its getting to me affecting my work & home life...

hope we can all get the help we need Im going to check other levels like iron & b's

hope this helps!

lildebs

Old 02-01-2008, 07:09 PM   #12
    fibrostuff
    Veteran
    (female)

fibrostuff HB User

Are you having bloodwork to monitor the Vitamin D level?
    You should ask your doctor what your original level was, and then go in and get rechecked (my naturopath is rechecking me around 3 months).

Are you taking calcium and magnesium as well?

I don't know the difference between D and D3.

Old 02-03-2008, 06:02 PM   #13
    Mag311
    (female)

Mag311 HB User

I am supposed to go in the doc in 7 weeks now to get rechecked for my vitamin d levels to make sure they are going up. Hopefully! These pills at first is making me a little nauseous even with food. Just not used to it yet.

Old 02-04-2008, 06:52 AM   #14
    Backinthesaddle
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Backinthesaddle HB User

I checked what the doctors levels were this morning. On my bloodwork the lab has it 32-50 so mine being 22 is low. I still am amazed at that since I never was low before and have my blood work done regularily. The Rhuemy did say it was common with FMS so I wonder why our bodies have a hard time with vitamin D. I am also out in the sun as much as possible.

I go back 6 weeks post taking the prescription medicines. If I am still low I guess I continue on with the script.

Old 02-04-2008, 03:07 PM   #15
    Mag311
    (female)

Mag311 HB User

Goodluck with it! I hope the vitamins work. I am praying they work. It would be so wonderful to actually have a diagnosis with a cure that actually works and takes all the pain away.

Closed Thread