It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board

• Success with Lyrica?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-14-2008, 08:20 AM   #1
    robbielee129
    (female)

robbielee129 HB User
    Success with Lyrica?

Has anyone had success with the new FDA approved drug for Fibromyalgia, Lyrica? What can you tell me about it? Also, I have been continually turned down for medical insurance because of my Fibro. Do you know the cost of Lyrica?
    Robbielee129

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-14-2008, 03:50 PM   #2
    robin3209
    (female)

robin3209 HB User
    Thumbs up Re: Success with Lyrica?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by robbielee129 View Post
    Has anyone had success with the new FDA approved drug for Fibromyalgia, Lyrica? What can you tell me about it? Also, I have been continually turned down for medical insurance because of my Fibro. Do you know the cost of Lyrica?
    Robbielee129
    Lyrica Success.
    I have now been taking this medication for approx. 3 months. I had to push alittle with my insurance co. to okay it, which they did. I seem to be having good success with this, I am now taking 300 mg aday, this is the highest amount to be taken. The fibro fog has lifted (thank goodness) which is a great blessing, also it has lessened my attacks and my pain does not seem to over whelm me on a daily basis. I still have muscle pain when someone or etc. hits my trigger points especially shoulders neck and arms mornings are still tough, but all in all I think this is a good drug for this disease. NA on cost as I have a min. pay amount from insurance. Good luck and fight those insurance people.
    Robin3209

Old 02-14-2008, 05:36 PM   #3
    shellyj
    (female)

shellyj HB User
    Re: Success with Lyrica?

Ditto on Robin's reply. I too am at 300mg/day. When I first start out I had some minor side effects. But, I'm so glad I continued it. I can function again. I still have some symptoms but they aren't terrible like before. And like Robin said the "fibro fog" is gone for the most part. I really think it has helped me more mentally. I have more energy also. The cost is expensive to say the least. With insurance I pay $60. I think it runs around $130. And if my hubby & I figured right this is going to be a month dose. Also, don't forget pharamacies can give you a weekly dose to help with out of pocket. Same price, but in payments I guess. Good luck to you & don't give up.

Shelly

Old 02-15-2008, 09:03 AM   #4
    robbielee129
    (female)

robbielee129 HB User

Thanks Shelly & Robin for your input. Do you have any suggestions on how I can get medical or perscription drug insurance? Even the state's medical plan has turned me down! Mostly I think because they see I've taken Vicodin for the past 5 years.

Old 02-15-2008, 12:12 PM   #5
    sherryrenee0423
    (female)

sherryrenee0423 HB User

I started Lyrica on the 31st of January. I'm still adjusting to the medicine because my doctor increased my dose yesterday. I am up to 150mg a day. It is still giving me that 'high' feeling. It worked great for the first week, but I've really had some pain this last week. Sleepiness, dizziness, and headaches are my main side effects, but my doctor said all of that will go away soon. I still have Fibro fog, but like I said, I'm only on 150 mg. Good luck.

Old 02-15-2008, 05:39 PM   #6
    Sherlyn37
    (female)

Sherlyn37 HB User

My doctor "upped" my Lyrica to 100 mg and I'm feeling a little better, started exercising more & eating right. I feel as though I am still in "fibro fog" and I get no understanding from my fiance. My doctor took me off my celexa also and I feel mad at the world. Having fibro and mad doesn't go together very well.
    I'm trying.

Old 02-16-2008, 01:09 PM   #7
    Grapedy
    (female)

Grapedy HB User

Lyrica is made by Pfizer, and Pfizer has a prescription assistance program. Check with your doctor to see if you qualify.

Old 02-16-2008, 04:59 PM   #8
    albertasaurus
    (male)

albertasaurus HB User

I have been on Lyrica approx. 1 month @300 mg/day. It has been very helpful for the pain and sleep. Pfizer recommends a min. of 300 mg./day for FMS.

Good luck!

Old 02-17-2008, 06:01 AM   #9
    Backinthesaddle
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Backinthesaddle HB User

Lyrica is what helps me everyday feel good. I have been on it at different dosages for about 2 yrs now. I now take 150mg in the morning and night and another 75mg in the daytime if I need it. I take 100mg of tramadol with it in the morning and usually Ultram ER 200mg at night. Here is an example of how it works for me. This morning like most I get to work at 0630 I have been up since at least 0430. I am very sore and hurt deeply into the body like bone pain and have a burning in the gut to the head. Once at work I take my meds. It is now almost 8am and I feel much better. By 10am I will be doing great and ready to hit the treadmill.

I have not seen any weight gain from that. I did from Elavil so stopped it. I am carrying about 5 extra pounds that I am working on getting rid of. I do have to cut calories a lot and work out very hard just to stay at the weight I am. If I feel crapy and cannot work out I adjust my food intake and make it very clean.

Old 02-22-2008, 09:58 PM   #10
    mim
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mim HB Usermim HB Usermim HB Usermim HB Usermim HB Usermim HB Usermim HB User

Hi there, I was first prescribed lyrica several years ago by my neurologist for nerve pain. I up it slowly when I have a bad flare, and when I get out of one (yes it is possible :-) ) I decrease slowly back to my level that controls the nerve damage pain I have due to ddd. It might be possible to get it for nerve pain than for fibro through your insurance company. Since we have the nerve pain symptoms it would not be false to have it prescribed for that. Just a thought!
    MimGregg

Old 02-23-2008, 09:10 AM   #11
    sherryrenee0423
    (female)

sherryrenee0423 HB User

I stopped taking Lyrica because my feet started swelling really badly, my headaches were getting severe, and it really wasn't helping with the pain that much. I just couldn't handle the side effects. I also slurred my speech a lot and I only took 150mg a day...it just wasn't for me.

Old 02-23-2008, 09:33 AM   #12
    Nuthatch
    (female)

Nuthatch HB User

I had this prescribed to me a few days ago and I'm scared to death to try it. I've had some bad experiences with medications. From what I read, there are so many side effects. If something can take away the brain fog, short term memory problems and fatigue, I'd be soo happy. THEN maybe I can get these muscles exercising!

I'm also concerned about the addiction. It's a scheduled 5 drug. I'm already on Klonopin and have been clinically addicted for 12 years.

Old 02-23-2008, 05:44 PM   #13
    Grapedy
    (female)

Grapedy HB User

Schedule 5 (C-V) drugs are over the counter drugs like Tylenol, Advil and multi-vitamins. Lyrica is a Schedule 4 (C-IV), which is what Ambien, Lipitor, Zoloft, Allegra, Neurontin and Nasonex are, along with most muscle relaxers, ALL blood pressure medications and diabetes meds and thousands of other meds. C-III are the light or synthetic narcotics such as Vicodin, Lortab, Tylenol with codeine, tramadol and Percocet. C-III drugs are usually synthetic opioids, but not always and they can be called in over the phone provided the patient has at least one paper prescription for the drug on file at the pharmacy. C-II drugs are Oxycontin, morphine, methadone and others that are plant opioid based. C-II drugs must ALWAYS be filled with an actual written prescription. These drugs cannot have refills on them and they cannot be prescribed over the phone, but you can do it with a fax machine as long as you get the original to the pharmacy within 72 hours. C-I drugs are the illegals like heroin, cocaine, LSD and meth.

A lot of people confuse the definitions of addicted and clinically dependent. If you're using a drug according to the directions, you are not addicted. You may be clinically dependent, but you're not addicted. Addiction is a mental thing, not a physical one, where your brain says your body MUST have it, especially if you know you don't need. Clinical, or physical, dependency is what most people actually deal with. It's VERY different from addiction. You can have withdrawal symptoms with clinical dependency, but they won't kill you like addiction withdrawal symptoms can.

Go ahead and try it. If you're going to have bad side effects from it that are too much for you to handle, you'll probably know within a matter of days. While the list of side effects can be scary, that doesn't mean they're going to happen to you and that doesn't mean they're all related to actually taking Lyrica. The company is required to list every single thing that happens to the people taking it during the trial, even if that reaction only happens once. That's why so many drugs (include blood pressure and cholesterol meds) list cough, sneezing and runny nose as side effects. People in the trials come down with colds, and the company has to list it. If somebody in the study had a heart attack or stroke while taking it, even though it's probably not related to the drug, the company has to list it as a side effect. That's the law.

My mom has been taking Lyrica for several months now. The only side effect she's had is her feet swelling.

Closed Thread