It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board

• I'm new to the board and I need some support

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-19-2008, 12:16 PM   #1
    Glenda51
    (female)

Glenda51 HB User
    I'm new to the board and I need some support

Hello,
    I have all the symptoms of fibro. I'm really getting frustrated with my doctor. I am in pain every day of my life. Mostly my neck, shoulders, legs, hips.....wherever it decides to be that day. But I always have pain in my neck and shoulders. It radiates up the back of my neck into my head. I feel like I'm coming down with the flu. My husband tells me to "suck it up", but I'm getting really depressed. I have trouble sleeping at night. Using a pillow to sleep is almost impossible. I hurt just laying in bed. I've tried lots of medications. The last one was Elavil, but it made me gain weight and it stopped working. I take Aleve every day or Excedrin or ibuprofen. Please tell me what you guys are doing for the pain......I have had these symptoms for almost 10 years and it is getting progressively worse. I'm a young 57 year old, white female. Has anyone tried acupuncture?? Thanks so much. It's nice finding someone who understands.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-19-2008, 01:39 PM   #2
    baserockermom
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

baserockermom HB User
    Re: I'm new to the board and I need some support

God bless you, Glenda, you're in the right place now. Stay awhile, there are folks here who completely understand you, and not only that, who 100% believe you because we have the same stuff and only people who have the same stuff can believe you and understand why all the sucking it up in the world won't help what you have. After you talk to enough of us, you may not even need to talk to your husband much about this stuff because you will have found an entire support group here.

That said, my neck/shoulders lock up every night, too, and at the slightest perception of tension. Like you, what will it be today? One year a hip that is diagnosed with bursitis. Wrists diagnosed with tendonitis. Arthritis in the neck. Feet problems. Every type of headache diagnosed. TMJ. Acid reflux. Chronic fatigue. Seasonal rhinitis. Scoliosis. Muscle strain. Whiplash. Myofascial pain, fibromyalgia, carpal tunnel.

Lyrica and flexeril and darvocet help. Other stuff too. A thread was just started a day or two ago called "what helps your fibromyalgia." Check out that thread and many more that I'm sure you'll relate to, and welcome!

Last edited by baserockermom; 03-19-2008 at 01:40 PM.

Old 03-19-2008, 01:40 PM   #3
    Marywoo
    Veteran
    (female)

Marywoo HB User

Glenda Iam so sorry for all your suffering,it took well over 10 years for me to get the help that I needed also,right now Iam taking lexapro for depression,xanx,for anxiety,Lyrica for nerve damage, and Hydrocodone,for back pain percription vit D for osteoporosis I also get epidural shots for neck back and leg pain.wow thats depressing writing that but thats what helps me.I could never make it on aleve,that use to help in earley thirtys I suggest you talk to your dr. Once my drs. sen my Mri.s he took action fast, so try and get your dr to order those,he really should have already but who knows what really motivates health care besides money and insurrance,make sure your inssurance covers mris because they are like $1000 dollers out of pocket,and if your anything like myself are just to expensive.I hope you get the hope you need,Best of luck and please take care of yourself. Marywoo

Old 03-19-2008, 03:22 PM   #4
    bluesman340
    (male)

bluesman340 HB User

Glenda you do have fibro, but you will learn to deal with it,i've had it 19 yrs 3months now.I use too think i would rather not live another day,wrong you will learn that its not going to kill you so when that sets in you learn to cope with it.
    The best over the counter pain releif i have found is excedrine migraine,it works good without side effects,elavil or amytriptilyn sucks,it doped me up too much,zanax is much better.Now if you want real long term releif i accidentally found that fish oil -omega3 caps. work great,it takes a while but i can say it has made a 70% improvement for me,except sleep,i was up all night last night.This dang insomnia part i haven't figured out yet as anything i find that helps my body gets use to it and it quits working.Anyway you have found the place to be,,good luck,bm340

Last edited by bluesman340; 03-19-2008 at 05:48 PM.

Old 03-19-2008, 05:24 PM   #5
    sweetjerseygirl
    (female)

sweetjerseygirl HB User

Hello and welcome,
    I agree you are now in the right place and reading some of the post help with a lot of things. Venting is the best here because a lot of us really understand and all have our share of complaining from husbands, kids, family members doctors etc. I also was one that it took around ten years to figure out what was really going on with me. After i went through an expensive hell.......

I always say though we fibro folk are the same, we are also different with our symptoms and medications. You can learn a lot here on the boards and you may also learn how to maintain some of the things you need to figure out. The best thing i have learned is im not alone, people really do listen, really do care and really do understand.

I didnt care for the Elavil either, i guess the bad thing is you have to keep trying different meds til you find the one's that work for you. I think the four major ones are an anti-depressant (and it doesnt have to mean you totally are) a muscle relaxer, a pain reliever and something to help you sleep. You also need a doctor with experience with this condition, then the doctor should not have a problem with you switching around your meds til you find the one that helps you as an individual. Sometimes after time i have to switch to something else for a time because my body gets to used to it and it doesnt work as well as it did the first time i started taking it.

If you look to the right side of this board you will see top 10 drugs discussed on this board. They really are for people with fibro. But there are more than those that are available. You can do a little homework on your own if you have the time and know what to look for......I wish you luck, hope you find what you need soon and have some relief from finding this board also your pain starts minimizing a little soon. Good Luck to you

Old 03-19-2008, 05:56 PM   #6
    gorgee
    Inactive
    (female)

gorgee HB User

Glenda51, congratulations on coming here, it is a blessing for me.

I believe the other posts, especially the last one. You need an antidepressant (like lexparo or cymbalta), an anxiety medication (like valium or xanax), a muscle relaxant (I like flexeril), and also a pain medication (I have been on vicoprofen, and now Long acting Oxycodone). The pain medications have been a blessing for me, and allowing me to take care of my 2 and 4 year old little boys. While I am on these medications, I am trying to find and learn other ways to cope, I do not want to be on pain medication my whole life, only when it is horrible. I am not sure this is going to be possible, but I can keep trying and hope. Even today, I was in pain, and the only thing I could do for myself was rest. I took a nap with my boys and I was able to do more after my rest. Today it is my lower arms, elbows and down, even my tendonitis was flared up, and this morning I had a hard time writing and typing.

Are you stiff and very sore in the morning? This has been one of the largest battles I have had since October. I am only 31, and I can barely walk in the morning. The stairs are a nightmare for me, and I dread them everyday.

Some of the other wonderful people on the board -baserockermom, marywoo, and a couple others- have started an exercise challenge. We are going to try and do some exercise everyday to see if it helps our pain and the other symptoms. It can be just simple exercises or more, it is up to you and what your body is will to do. Are you interested?

I have chronic migraines, tmj, myofascial pain syndrome, and fibromyaligia. I think you need to start interviewing doctors and find one that specializing in fibro. Good luck, and this is a great place to be. It has helped me so much with my health issues. I look forward to writing you in the future.

Kass

Old 03-19-2008, 08:30 PM   #7
    Grapedy
    (female)

Grapedy HB User

Not Lexapro. Take that one off the anti-depressant list. Cymbalta, Effexor and Remeron are the best ones to start out with. Something in their chemical makeup really helps improve FM symptoms. Remeron is taken at night and helps you sleep. It's the one that has the best FM track record, plus it's the only one available in a generic if price is a concern.

Old 03-20-2008, 01:56 AM   #8
    Marywoo
    Veteran
    (female)

Marywoo HB User

Grapedy, I was surprised to read that lexapro is not a good anti-depressant choice,is it because the others were designed for pain also? I have been thinking about trying a different one but Iam really scared,the last time I made a change It was from Paxilto lexapro and trust it was not pretty,but I have to say I completely withdrew from paxil first and than went on the lexapro,that could be where I went wrong.just thinking about it,would love to hear your advice because my pain is still not under control. thanx Maryww

Old 03-20-2008, 06:26 AM   #9
    sherryrenee0423
    (female)

sherryrenee0423 HB User

Lexapro is the only antidepressant that I can tolerate thus far. I've tried many others and they have all given me bad side effects. I think it just depends on how your body handles the drug.

Old 03-20-2008, 07:19 AM   #10
    Jenn4508
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Jenn4508 HB UserJenn4508 HB User

Glenda51 - As everyone has said you have come to the right place.... You will get more support here than from anywhere else you could go... We all understand the different symptoms and the pain that goes along with our little friend fibro... It is tough when he rears his ugly little head... You have to remember that stress does and will play a vital role in helping him to rear his head also. I know alot of us have problems with the weather also such as with the rain or when it is cold... You will find what triggers your symptoms... I take Topamax for my migraines and it does help...

You will find that everyone takes different meds and everyone reacts differently to all the different meds that are out there... Topamax is not the only med that I take but I don't dare go into all the meds I take unless you really want to know as I also have been diagnosed with BiPolar 1... I have also been diagnosed with some scoliosis, fibro, hypermobility, chronic myofascial pain, gastritis, IBS, divirticulosus...

The main thing is to find a doctor who does believe that fibro is real.... Believe me you will find that "Sucking it up" is not an option... Chronic pain is real and the reason most people don't understand fibro is because you look fine...

You can always come here to vent, rant or ask questions and and for all the support and caring in the world... The people on these boards are wonderful... Post away and see how many caring people will come to help you... Jenn

Old 03-20-2008, 08:20 AM   #11
    Glenda51
    (female)

Glenda51 HB User
    Smile Re: I'm new to the board and I need some support

OMG! I'm getting teary eyed reading your responses. Thank you so much!! I'm so glad I found this board. I'm a registered nurse. My doctor is very stingy with pain medication. I'm afraid she will think I'm drug seeking. Well she never implied it but knowing some patients I have dealt with, the medical professionals become somewhat supspicious when anyone wants narcotics. And since there is no definitive diagnosis for Fibro......well, you know what I mean. I have an appointment with her Monday. I'm going to tell her how bad it really is. If I don't get through to her, I'm going to seek a second opinion. This is really starting to affect the quality of my life.

I'm currently on Prozac, prilosec, premarin, adderall (I have ADD, plus it helps me focus through the pain), lotrel for hypertension. My body is sore allllllllllll over. I mean sore to touch. Yes, mornings are horrible. I wake up so stiff I can barely walk. It takes my feet awhile to function. The pain in my shoulders and neck cause me to have almost a constant headache. Going up and down stairs is misery. I find that my footing is real unsteady....I have become clumsy. Sometimes writing becomes difficult. I never feel rested and wake up multiple times during the night. Some days I don't want to get out of bed and find myself crying. I will try the fish oil. I've been on cymbalta but had terrible side affects ie. involuntary jerking movements and night sweats. Along with hot flashes that was not fun. Stretching exercises seem to help since my muscles feel as though they are drawing up or getting really tight. This makes my legs ache. This disease is such a rollercoaster nightmare. Thank you so much for your caring attitude.....you will see alot of me.
    Glenda

Old 03-20-2008, 12:29 PM   #12
    bluesman340
    (male)

bluesman340 HB User

Lexapro is the only one that has helped me and i've through probally 10-15 in the last 20 yrs.Now for night time xanax has been the best for sleep but i'm getting my tolerance built up to wwhere its not working near as good as it did.
    Until you get on a good meds program try excedrine migraine and the fish oil,its worth tring..wayne

p.s-the first time i found a fibro board i was using a laptop in the bed because i could not sit a desk for more than 10-15 mins,anyway i literally cried as all the crap i had been through was instantly validated in my mind because i saw other people going through the same nightmare that i was,so yes these boards are a God send.

Last edited by bluesman340; 03-20-2008 at 12:34 PM.

Old 03-20-2008, 03:40 PM   #13
    Glenda51
    (female)

Glenda51 HB User

Is Lexapro working for you.......my MD's appt is Monday...I was thinking about asking about Remeron.

Old 03-20-2008, 05:16 PM   #14
    linda44
    (female)

linda44 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Glenda51 View Post
    OMG! I'm getting teary eyed reading your responses. Thank you so much!! I'm so glad I found this board. I'm a registered nurse. My doctor is very stingy with pain medication. I'm afraid she will think I'm drug seeking. Well she never implied it but knowing some patients I have dealt with, the medical professionals become somewhat supspicious when anyone wants narcotics. And since there is no definitive diagnosis for Fibro......well, you know what I mean. I have an appointment with her Monday. I'm going to tell her how bad it really is. If I don't get through to her, I'm going to seek a second opinion. This is really starting to affect the quality of my life.

I'm currently on Prozac, prilosec, premarin, adderall (I have ADD, plus it helps me focus through the pain), lotrel for hypertension. My body is sore allllllllllll over. I mean sore to touch. Yes, mornings are horrible. I wake up so stiff I can barely walk. It takes my feet awhile to function. The pain in my shoulders and neck cause me to have almost a constant headache. Going up and down stairs is misery. I find that my footing is real unsteady....I have become clumsy. Sometimes writing becomes difficult. I never feel rested and wake up multiple times during the night. Some days I don't want to get out of bed and find myself crying. I will try the fish oil. I've been on cymbalta but had terrible side affects ie. involuntary jerking movements and night sweats. Along with hot flashes that was not fun. Stretching exercises seem to help since my muscles feel as though they are drawing up or getting really tight. This makes my legs ache. This disease is such a rollercoaster nightmare. Thank you so much for your caring attitude.....you will see alot of me.
    Glenda

Old 03-20-2008, 06:07 PM   #15
    linda44
    (female)

linda44 HB User

hi, i,m new to this as you can tell. i,m not very computer literate either so please bare with me.glenda, i was reding your board and thought,this is me! i was dx with fibro in september after suffering for quite some time. i had been worked up for ms and lupus. when all tests came back negative the dx was fibro. i too am a health care worker and comletely understand what you mean about talking to your dr about pain,drug seeking is usually the first thing they think when you say pain and nothing else works.all to often doctors don't take the time to really listen. there were days while working that my body hurt so bad, i could hardly lift my legs enough to walk, i would go to a room by myself and just cry, even my skin hurt!i became very depressed,in january i had a white stroke, i still have memory and balance problems on top of the fibro fog, but i just take 1 day at a time.i know it seems that there will be no end to the pain but hang in there, there is light at the end of the tunnel!the best thing that happened to me after my stroke is that i now take charge of my healthcare instead of letting doctors take charge of me! this is what i have found helps me and i hope it will help you and others as well.1) i write down everything i want to accomplish at my doctor visit, sometimes it's a long list! 2) if my doctor cannot help me,i expect him to refer me to someone who can 3) get a referal to a good rhuematologist that believes fibro is real 3)i have found that a good physical therapist can bring a great deal of pain relief, they are wonderful at relaxing the knots that form in your muscles causing the pain and restoring mobility to joints! you leave feeling like a new person, unfortunately it's not permanent but is worth it, i hope this helps.linda

Closed Thread