It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board

• Has Lyrica really helped anyone?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-03-2008, 08:22 AM   #1
    lynn41
    (female)

lynn41 HB User
    Has Lyrica really helped anyone?

I've been reading the side effects of this drug and hearing lots of feedback that it didn't help, caused weight gain, more fatigue, etc. So, I'm wondering if it has really helped anyone with FM? If so, how long did it take for the drug to take affect and what symptoms did it help? Thanks for any replies.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-03-2008, 09:52 AM   #2
    MizSpentyouth2
    (female)

MizSpentyouth2 HB User
    Re: Has Lyrica really helped anyone?

Hello I took this when it was still off lable for fm. I had a bad experience with it
    I gained weight and my ankles and feet swelled. One thing I have found is with fm it is really hit and miss with meds. What works for 1 doesn't work for all. Good luck with it .

Old 05-03-2008, 04:10 PM   #3
    Grapedy
    (female)

Grapedy HB User

My mom thinks it's a miracle drug. She has gained some weight with it and her ankles do swell more than they used to, but to her it was a fair trade to feel like a human being again.

It's worth a try, and then if you do have side effects you have to decide if the benefit outweighs the side effects. Nobody can make that decision for you.

Old 05-03-2008, 04:26 PM   #4
    dw1961
    (female)

dw1961 HB Userdw1961 HB Userdw1961 HB Userdw1961 HB Userdw1961 HB User

It was awesome with FM, but after the 6 or 7 day I became very dizzy. So the dr. took me off my am dosage and kept me only on the pm. So, my pain is not nearly as bad but just very tired again.

Old 05-04-2008, 05:16 AM   #5
    bevann26
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

bevann26 HB Userbevann26 HB Userbevann26 HB User

i have also gained more weight than i wanted to..15-20 lbs. fatique was worse, also. he also has me taking flexeril with it..so, with 150mg of lyrica 3xday. and 10mg flexeril 3 xday...i think i was over medicated. i have been on that regimen since oct.07. a couple wks ago, i cut myself down to 2 xday...has helped with fatique more...but not enough. anyway what i think it helped was less flare ups..less time staying in a flare...less pain from fibro. i would not consider this a miracle drug by no means! i will always have fibro and pain.
    the beginning of june, i am going up to NH for awhile..that will be the real test, as i always suffer more up north.
    before i leave i will be seeing my rheumy again just once, then i am dropping him for several reasons. also, i have an appt. for my yrly ckup, and will discuss things with my pc. he might be able to treat the fibro, w/out needing another rheumy.
    well, look at this, i posted to help with one question and i've written a bk!!!!

take care everyone....bevann

Old 05-04-2008, 06:58 AM   #6
    Jim Fields
    (male)

Jim Fields HB User
    Thumbs up Re: Has Lyrica really helped anyone?

Got to add my two bits on Lyrica. Just started taking it and have not taken any pain meds since. I haven't experience side effects yet. I was first diagnosed with FM in 92 and have been bad with it for the last 6 years. Tried everything and been on narcotic vicoden for last two years. I am very hopeful. Weight has always been a problem from taking several different drugs including; Clonazepam, Citalopram, & Mirapex (for RlS) on top of Vicodin. I am a male 61 and it has really been difficult these last 6 years. Hope the best for all.

Old 05-04-2008, 07:11 AM   #7
    lynn41
    (female)

lynn41 HB User

Thank you all for the replies. I already am battling a serious weight problem that only seems to be getting worse - without Lyrica. Right now I'm struggling through with no medication for pain relief at all (the rheumatologist offered nothing to me and basically said to learn to live with it). I'm going to go back to my PCP and see what suggestions she has. I'm doing my own research though because I've lost faith in doctors recently.

Old 05-04-2008, 05:36 PM   #8
    TexMom85
    Veteran
    (female)

TexMom85 HB User

I've had FM for many years, with the worst symptoms being insomnia and that all too familiar constant, deep, achy-type of pain. My doctor never gave me Lyrica, but we've tried other things with varying degrees of success and failure.

I developed a disk problem in my neck last summer. The MRI shows a shadow, which the doctor says is either a broken off piece of disk or a benign spinal tumor....anyway, I was experiencing deferred pain in the upper arm (tricep) area. It is the kind of pain that brings you to your knees, tears to your eyes, and just plain stops you in your tracks. In addition to oral steroids and cervical injections, the orthopedic surgeon put me on Lyrica. I've been taking 150mg/2x since January. Weight gain: 37 pounds on an already overweight body. Fatigue/Sleepiness: Extreme. Hand/foot swelling: severe.

Now, what's interesting is this: it has helped with the nerve pain tremendously. But, my FM pain is markedly worse. I know that Lyrica is approved specifically to treat FM pain, but since I've been taking it, although it has been effective for my nerve pain, my FM achy-pain is much worse. I am much stiffer and of course, very, very tired all the time.

I have an appointment on Tuesday with the OS to talk about all of this. My sleep doctor gave me a diuretic to help with the swelling (which it did), and I have switched to a low-carb diet to stop the weight gain (it has stopped, but the weight has not come off yet). I also have developed tendonitis due to a repetitive motion injury, and the Lyrica definitely does NOT help with that pain, either.

So, for me, it's a love/hate relationship with Lyrica. I am constantly battling weight issues, and the rapid gain on this drug was astonishing even to me. And while it has made the nerve pain tolerable, my FM pain is so much worse, it's amazing. I have tried both Celebrex and Relafen so far, and neither has helped at all. I am frustrated, because my pain levels are getting unmanageable, and yet I am taking a medication that is supposed to address my specific type of pain.

Obviously, everyone reacts to medications differently, but....I would say, tread carefully with this medication.

Blessings,
    TexMom

Old 05-05-2008, 05:06 AM   #9
    fibrohurts
    (female)

fibrohurts HB User

Not me. It was the worse drug i have ever taken and will never again take it. It caused the worse pain i have ever had, and left me bedridden for days at a time.

Old 05-05-2008, 10:35 AM   #10
    lilpea1970
    (female)

lilpea1970 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MizSpentyouth2 View Post
    Hello I took this when it was still off lable for fm. I had a bad experience with it
    I gained weight and my ankles and feet swelled.
    I had the same issue (30lbs in 2 months) - but I also went loopy on lyrica - I forget things in mid-sentence, couldnt remember what I was cooking etc. My hands and feet already had a swelling issue and lyrica made it much worse...after a few months my Rheum took me off it. I agree though meds are hit and miss - some will work on others while not helping others.

Old 05-05-2008, 11:14 AM   #11
    lynn41
    (female)

lynn41 HB User

Thanks for all the replies. It definitely is giving me something to think about before my next doctor's visit when she wants me to try the Lyrica.

Old 05-05-2008, 08:30 PM   #12
    Ishla
    (female)

Ishla HB User

I am delighted that Lyrica has helped many people, but I had an experience like Fibrohurts... swelled up feet and hands and gave me some of the hardest pain I've ever had. I won't take it ever again. I was on 150mg a day for about 6 weeks and felt no real improvement... more pain than anything, and then the last 4 days I was so miserable I stayed pretty much in bed. It was awful.

Oh, I also have to add that I got the most nasty rash while on it... under my breasts got beet red and burned horribly... another reason to never take it again.

Last edited by Ishla; 05-05-2008 at 08:32 PM. Reason: added details

Old 05-05-2008, 08:59 PM   #13
    linda looney
    (female)

linda looney HB User

The swelling in your feet is a side effect, but the rash I would imagine is more in the nature of an allergy. Before you took it, did you read all the side effects and contraindications? Most of these drugs, when you read the side effects, you think, "I think I'm better off without them!" But when they do the research, even if one person out of 3000 reports something, it has to go into the literature. So getting to know drugs themsevles can make you more savvy about what might really happen to you. But I would have quit taken it right away. Side effects that seem like something you have to put up with could really be causing a serious underlying condition. What did your Doctor say?

Old 05-06-2008, 01:43 AM   #14
    MissGulch
    (female)

MissGulch HB User

I haven't had a good experience with it either........worse muscle pain, etc.. I was given it way before becoming the FM miracle drug. I guess it depends on the person. I just don't like the fact that because it doesn't work for so many of us that after the TV commercials, that we will be regressing back to it's all in your head again. I've already experienced this a few times. The people mean well, but give you that all too familiar look.

I wish there was a way to get all of these drug advertisements off the air, my doctors don't like them either. Maybe with the $ the drug companies wouldn't spend on commercials they could pass the savings on to the public.

There is a drug in the process that is a combo of medicines like lyrica and cymbalta (I did not do well at all on this one either) together. Can't wait to see the commercials for that....can cause muscle pain, swelling, dizziness, weight gain and make you suicidal too.

Old 05-07-2008, 07:45 AM   #15
    rodney88
    (male)

rodney88 HB User
    Exclamation Re: Has Lyrica really helped anyone?

I am the husband of a fibromyalgia patient.

She was recently put on Lyrica in combination with Cymbalta, zanaflex (6/day) ambien, and neurontin, Along with other drugs that are not related to fibromyalgia. Her mental confusion and lethargy became markedly worse the second day she started taking Lyrica. One day she left the house to run a simple errand and showed up 7 hours later, ready to put up the spoils from her shopping spree and run the original errand, with no concept of the amount of time she was gone. Last week she apparently got foggy and went into a loop about taking her meds. She took 49 lyrica tablets in 10 days along with unspecified amounts of her other drugs. She had hallucinations and ended up being transported to the E.D. where she had to be sedated because she was so combative. The amounts and combinations of meds caused her to develop an ecephalopathy that is slowly resolving itself, but has caused her to be involuntarily commited to a psychiatric hospital.

This may be a great drug, but please use caution if you get more confused while taking it. Alert your supporting family/friends/medical team of the increased symptoms so they can be there to help you if you need it.

Closed Thread