It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board

• Anyone use neurontin (gabapentin)

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-10-2008, 01:45 PM   #1
    seconhand
    (female)

seconhand HB User
    Anyone use neurontin (gabapentin)

Hiddy Ho Group :>)
    I was wondering if anyone is taking this anticonvulsant for fibro relief and what you have experienced using it. It is a new script for me and would like to receive any and all REAL info I can. FYI I am using Lortab and robaxin to try to manage all of this, lortab being dicey in the mix.
    Thank you,
    Sharon

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-10-2008, 02:53 PM   #2
    rlynnbaker
    (female)

rlynnbaker HB User
    Re: Anyone use neurontin (gabapentin)

I am on 900 mg of neurontin a day. I had a horrible time with it for a while (feeling almost a drunk feeling) and still sometimes feel dizzy / drunk, but I am thinking it is starting to level out. I've been on this dosage for about a month now-- was on 300 mg / day before for nerve pain. It helps with nerve pain-- not so much with the twitches I also have. It also seems to level out anxiety with me. My neurologist prescribed it for the nerve pain, and then the rheumatologist that diagnosed me with FMS suggested I continue. It absolutely helps me go to sleep at night, although I am still struggling with feeling tired (but this could partly be due to thyroid issues in my case).

Anyway, the biggest side effect for me has been the dizziness / drunken feeling. The biggest help as been with nerve pain. The biggest thing it is not helping is the twitching. Hope that is of some help.

Best wishes to you.

Lynn

Old 07-10-2008, 02:57 PM   #3
    pinkpixies
    Veteran
    (female)

pinkpixies HB User

I take Neurontin as a mood stabilizer...only 100 mg, three times a day...and it hasn't helped my pain at all...but it does stabilize my mood pretty well. I also take 30 mg Cymbalta...also hasn't helped my pain. Doctors aren't sure what is causing the pain yet...but it may be fibro. But the Neurontin makes me VERY dizzy...and I pass out on a regular basis getting out of bed too fast.

Old 07-10-2008, 04:40 PM   #4
    builder
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

builder HB Userbuilder HB User

I stopped taking it. I had the same symptoms. Tired, spaced out and drunk like. i could not think clearly on this med.

Old 07-10-2008, 06:53 PM   #5
    rosebuddy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

rosebuddy HB Userrosebuddy HB Userrosebuddy HB Userrosebuddy HB User

I take neurontin when my skin burns. After being on it for a few days i can drive, but I feel weird for a first few days.

Old 07-25-2008, 03:11 PM   #6
    shelovescliche
    (female)

shelovescliche HB User

Neurontin made me gain a lot of weight, I was dizzy, tired (even though it did absolutely NOTHING for my insomnia) and I was still in a lot of pain. Eventually I stopped it; it just didn't do anything for me, and I came out of it almost 40 lbs heavier.

Old 07-25-2008, 05:11 PM   #7
    carolinagal65
    (female)

carolinagal65 HB User

hello everyone It wasn't until after I stopped taking it did I know how tired had been and felt like I was dragging a elephant around. that and the weight gain.
    I am now on 100 mg Lyrica at night for sleep and pain.
    Carolinagal

Old 07-25-2008, 07:54 PM   #8
    Rits9
    (female)

Rits9 HB User

Has anyone taken Serzone for burning pain? Does the Fentayl Patch help with the burning pain?

Old 08-02-2008, 05:31 AM   #9
    brugirl29
    (female)

brugirl29 HB User

Hi,
    I also take Neurontin and I use the patches...Gained 20 pounds so far..I wear braces for MS. so my legs don't need the extra weight..Going back to Tylenol and keep patches though..My worst pain is in my ribs on either side and under of my bra and legs..I patch there everyday.I also have Lupus A. am on 4 aspirin a day for that and Copaxone for the MS..To much going on in 1 body..Hypertention, Chloresteral, Sugar, OA, Not complaining though still can laugh,

Kathy R.I.

Old 08-03-2008, 02:34 AM   #10
    DeBeachSiren
    Veteran
    (female)

DeBeachSiren HB User

Hi,

Neurotonin and Lyrica and the like made me hurt worse than I already did. It made me ache, caused muscle pain, fatigue, like I had a bad flu.

AnneBoleyn

Old 08-04-2008, 08:28 AM   #11
    Jane23
    (female)

Jane23 HB User

I've been on it for about five months now. (300 mg a day, taken at night around 9 pm.) It definitely cured my insomnia which helps get me through the day. If you can get through the first two to three weeks of side effects on this drug, I think it's worth it. You do need to try to get as much sleep as you can. If you don't get enough, you'll get that "spaced out, what the hell was I just doing" vibe. Since I've been on it, my pain has decreased a great deal. That being said, it does nothing for flares. If I over do it, I still get sick for a day or two.

The biggest thing with this drug is to know when to stop at the right dosage. Gradually work your way up to whatever your doctor wants you to be taking. If a higher dosage increases the spacey/drunken feeling, then drop back to the one that didn't bother you so bad and stick with that. Mine wanted me at 900 mg a day, but I just couldn't handle a higher dosage than 300.

Hope it works out for you!

Old 08-04-2008, 08:57 AM   #12
    ctheri
    (female)

ctheri HB User

I tried Neurotin but it just didn't work well for me. I felt drunk - even walked like a drunk. I felt like vomitting and dizzy. I called the doctor and they decreased my dose. I got used to the dizzy/foggy state, or it stopped affecting me as much after about 2 weeks of taking it. However, it didn't help with the pain.

Hope you have better luck with your pain!

Closed Thread