It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board

• doctor is refusing to treat me for pain

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-04-2008, 03:57 PM   #1
    arcticsmartie
    (female)

arcticsmartie HB User
    doctor is refusing to treat me for pain

doctor is refusing to treat me for pain

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-04-2008, 07:03 PM   #2
    sweetjerseygirl
    (female)

sweetjerseygirl HB User
    Re: doctor is refusing to treat me for pain

Hello, I'm sorry your Doctor will not treat your pain. What type of pain do you experience ? Do you think you might have Fibromyalgia ? Some Doctors do not recognize this condition, there for you may want to ask for a referral if you need one, to go see a Rheumatologist but i would call and ask any Doctors office before scheduling an appointment to find out if they treat Fibro first if that what you think it is. For now you can try aleve or advil for some relief. Good luck and i hope your painfree soon

Old 09-04-2008, 07:36 PM   #3
    jessbcuz10
    (female)

jessbcuz10 HB User

Yeah I would try another dr if you can.

Jess

Old 09-05-2008, 06:45 AM   #4
    Paddy55
    Veteran
    (female)

Paddy55 HB UserPaddy55 HB UserPaddy55 HB UserPaddy55 HB UserPaddy55 HB User

Hi Artic - I'm sorry about your predicament. Many of us experience this nastiness. You definitely need a new doctor, especially if this doc will not refer you to either a rheumatologist or a pain management clinic. If you don't have these in your town you may have to go to a larger city.
    One thing - if a patient is in pain, goes to doc and says they want pain pills, then the doc will likely not help. They want to be able to diagnose something. They also want to know that you want treatments that will help you, not just pills to "cover it up". Many fibro patients use meds for pain, but as part of a larger treatment program including physical therapy, massage, mild exercise, diet modifications, and some lifestyle changes.
    I hope this helps. Ask more questions if you think we can help.
    Wishing you peace and comfort,
    Paddy

Old 09-05-2008, 10:09 AM   #5
    saxlady
    (female)

saxlady HB User

You have a right to have something for Your pain. If you get bad enough, go to ER if nothing else. They can tell. Your blood pressure will go up if the pain is bad enough. Keep searching. You'll catch someones attention eventually. Remember the squeeky wheel gets the greese.

Old 09-05-2008, 10:21 AM   #6
    arcticsmartie
    (female)

arcticsmartie HB User

Sorry I was not very clear when I first posted - I was not aware that it was even going to post... I thought I was just doing a search. Thanks for the responses. Here are more specifics:

I have suffered chronic pain for over 16 years and it has gotten progressively worse - much more so in the last 2 years; to the point I am spending about 80 percent of my time in bed. I have been diagnosed with fibromyalgia for years by many doctors and I also have migraine disease. I thought migraines were just headaches, but I went to the E.R. about 6 months ago thinking I was having a stroke (vision was blurred and horrible, body numb on one side, slurred speech, etc.). I went to a neurologist and thus the migraine disease.

Add complications: I have bipolar disorder. I am stable on my meds and have been for years. I have a good relationship with my psychiatrist and I have had plenty of therapy for my messed up childhood. I have a stable (dare I say - HAPPY -) marriage and two freakishly good teenage boys (and no, I'm not delusional).

My primary care physician referred me to a pain clinic and they turned me down - said "They didn't feel their services would benefit the patient."

I was referred to a rheumatologist to see if something more was going on and he said that there was something in addition to the fibromyalgia, however, when it got back to my primary care physician, he said that I have "widespread somatic pain disorder and chemical sensitivity" and recommended chronic narcotic treatment if my psychiatrist approved the treatment.

[B]I[B]Did the legwork and found another pain management clinic that would take my insurance and got an appointment. I called my PCP and got a referral sent with the diagnosis of "fibromyalgia and chronic pain" - it was a day before they got the report from the rheumatologist, so his diagnosis was not included. I thought the rheumatologist was highly intelligent and had very high hopes for good care, but that was quickly dashed. When he gave his diagnosis, I looked it up but couldn't find much, so I called to ask him about it. He called back and was very nasty and condescending... he told me that he "was kind enough to see me at the request of my doctor and that after examining me, that's what he came up with..." I asked why so many doctors had diagnosed me with fibromyalgia over the years and he said, "Look, if you want to stick with what you've been told before, go ahead, but I took my time (as if he didn't get paid) and this is what I've determined - but you can go with whatever you want!" I explained calmly that I was not questioning his diagnosis, but that I just had never heard of it and did not understand what it was and what it meant.

After some more haughty pompousness, he told me he sent his report to my primary care physician and curtly dismissed me. My primary care doctor is a young woman (probably my age;37) - she is tall, thin and healthy. She is ultra conservative where it comes to pain treatment and always starts out with the lowest possible dose of any medicine, even though it's well documented that I am highly med tolerant. I have never had problems with addiction, never been to the emergency room for pain until last night. I was hit by a car when I was 12, broke my right leg in one of the growth plates when I was 13 and was in a major car accident 5 years ago. I have had chiropractic treatment, massage, TENS therapy, I have 4 different orthopaedic pillows that I switch out through the course of the night, trying to be comfortable... I have tried heat therapy, cold therapy, have been rubbed down with every cream/balm imaginable... I have been on every anti-inflammatory, and with a history of ulcers/GERD; I shouldn't have been put on some of them.

My doctor tried me on Tramadol/Ultram. The lowest dose possible... I had to call and tell them it was doing nothing. I also had to stop taking my Cymbalta and my triptans for migraine in order to give it a try. She told me to increase to 100mg. 2x daily. Still nothing but terrible pain. After a week, I was in so much pain, between that and the lack of Cymbalta, I had a major meltdown. I had a severe anxiety attack and thought maybe I was having a heart attack. I made an appt. with the new after hours clinic that opened in my doctor's office. I expected my doctor, but it was another doctor. She said that I needed something stronger for pain. I agreed and explained that while I adore my doctor, she is very conservative that way. She knows my doctor on a personal level and said every doctor is different. She said she personally treats her patients for chronic pain - she just has them sign a contract. I asked her if she would treat me. She asked about my insurance (Medicaid/a certain form in my state) and said she wasn't taking new patients. I asked if there was a way I could get transferred to her. She said she didn't know how they would handle that, but I could see what I could do.

First thing that Monday, I called the affiliated hospital and my insurance company. My insurance company said, "Sure, she's on the list. We'll make the change immediately. You can see her anytime." Yippee, right? Well, I called to make an appt. and they said they weren't taking new patients and that my insurance made a mistake. I had to call and be assigned back to my old doctor. I was SOOOO discouraged. By now I was really feeling desperate for help, so I called the practice my doctor used to be with (her and her husband recently left and opened their own and I was sent along with them) and was very frank with them and told them exactly the situation I was in and what the rheumatologist said and that my psychiatrist had cleared me for treatment with narcotics and that I really needed treatment until I could get into the pain clinic - and there was no guarantee I would be accepted by them. I did make the mistake of telling them my name and my doctor's name. They said they'd have to call me back. They did and said that no doctor there would treat with narcotics.

I think someone may have called my doctor and told them I was looking around for narcotics. That's all I can figure... so I am going to end this post and tell the rest of the story before it becomes a book...

Old 09-05-2008, 10:24 AM   #7
    arcticsmartie
    (female)

arcticsmartie HB User

I got in early to the pain clinic for a preliminary intake. I have to go back on the 10th for an interview with their psychologist - so they can determine if I am someone they "should" treat... then I have an appointment with the doctor on the 29th to determine if I'm someone they "want" to treat me. NOW... in the meantime, they sent a letter that told me that my primary care doctor should be advised that she should continue to treat me until/if they take over my care - there is no guarantee they will (there is real doubt because of my bipolar disorder; nobody wants to be the one to say, "Yes, she should be treated with narcotic meds, because if something ever went wrong, they would supposedly point the finger back at them and everyone is afraid of getting sued - thanks to the "sue-happy" society we live in). Well, I advised my doctor of this, but today, when I made an appointment to get trigger point injections, the nurse called me and told me that my doctor's office would no longer treat me for any pain or anything pain related conditions... they would treat me for medical issues otherwise, but if I asked for narcotics, they would dismiss me as a patient. Um, I never ASKED my doctor for narcotics. She always ended every visit by saying she wouldn't prescribe them, but I never asked for them and I always complied with her treatment. I pointed this out to the nurse and she said that she was just saying what she was told to. I spent the afternoon crying. I called my insurance (which is Medicaid) and asked what I'm supposed to do - I have a doctor that's not willing to treat me and obviously doesn't trust me. I don't want to see a doctor that distrusts me - I'm obviously not going to trust her to be looking out for me - and I'm only allowed to switch doctors once every 6 months. That's very risky when you don't know about the doctor you might be going to. And now that my doctor has done this, it's more likely to make me look like a risk in the eyes of a pain clinic. I am just praying that things work out and I have called around looking for a new doctor today. So THAT'S how that's going. I have been in so much pain, with nothing to take - so bad that Ethan (my almost 18 yr. old) paid for me to have a 20 minute massage yesterday with money from an odd job he did, and he doesn't get work often. It was very sweet. I really needed help from my doctor today. I'll let you all know when I find out something.

Old 09-05-2008, 03:13 PM   #8
    sweetjerseygirl
    (female)

sweetjerseygirl HB User

That is a very sad story and i feel bad for you, maybe the psychologist can recommend some one or perhaps inquire with you Doctor the reason for this bad behavior.....I have been treated badly by Doctors, one told me i ought to be glad i didnt have cancer ! You know i left that office crying and told my husband i will never see him again ! I feel you have a right to know whats going on with all this red flagging ! I really wished i could help you because its no fun to be in chronic pain and makes you feel even more depressed besides the normal everyday things that make you feel this way.

Its really a good thing if you can manage a little bit of walking, the season is perfect for it and after all you are in Gods country. My best friend lives their and when i visit, i fall in love with the state all over again. I call it walking away whatever i need to walk away, even a small walk, smell the air, take in the view, find the beauty.........I know i would have been crying too and that was so very sweet of your son. He will get his reward for doing such a wonderful thing for his mom who he see's suffering. Hey ? Now stop that crying, i didnt mean to make you cry again

Hang in their sweetie, people here really do care whats going on with you. I will say an extra prayer for you because you need it. I dont know what else to suggest but i surely wished i did, dont give up and dump this on the psychologist, its probably your best bet right now. Here's a friend to sit with you for now Hope you get through this hardship soon

Old 09-05-2008, 07:19 PM   #9
    arcticsmartie
    (female)

arcticsmartie HB User

Thanks for the response - I did go to the emergency room and my blood pressure WAS sky high. It was something like 152/94. It has never been that high when taken before. It's usually 120/70 or thereabouts. My son drove me and my husband met us there. The doctor was kind, but she did not grasp the level of pain either. I explained to her my situation completely and she said, "It sounds like you just need some medicine to get you through until your appointment." I was encouraged - until I saw the prescription: 5 mg oxycodone/500 mg acetominophen every 4 to 6 hrs. / 15 total. My appointment is on the 29th. She said to follow up with my doctor in a few days. I reminded her that I'm not allowed to talk to my doctor about pain. What is a person supposed to do?! I just found out that a friend of ours who has been diagnosed with non Hodgkins lymphoma is trying to get referred to the Mayo pain clinic in Jacksonville, Florida because he can't get help around here. That is not very encouraging to me. Why would they not treat a cancer patient? I do not understand this medical system.

Closed Thread