It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board

• Muscle twitches all over the body?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-09-2008, 10:34 PM   #1
    k2626
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

k2626 HB User
    Muscle twitches all over the body?

Hi guys, I get my parathyroid and should have my lyme test back this Friday. After these tests and a nerve test is ruled out I think my dr will dx me with fibro.

My question (aside from all the others!) is how many of you have muscle twitches all over your body? This symptom onset about 3 wks ago, started with my thumb....now I get them all over my body, mainly at night. Literally I will sit there and my calf, foot, shoulder, butt, thigh will all start going...just rapid little twitches that move around-just like my pain and joint cracking.

Is this unusual? At first I was paranoid about ALS but I hear that starts usually in one area for a bit.

Your feedback is appreciated!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-09-2008, 10:51 PM   #2
    shrtcak81
    (female)

shrtcak81 HB User
    Re: Muscle twitches all over the body?

Hi there! Yes, I get muscle twitches all over my body as well. They come and go and like you said, I get them mainly at night in all different places. I'm not sure about getting a whole lot of them at once, but I get one here and there off and on. I also get a lot of burning pain that has been happening lately. It literally feels like parts of my body are on fire....very strange. There are a lot of weird, crazy symptoms with this condition that's for sure! Hope this helps you

Crystal

Old 09-10-2008, 05:56 AM   #3
    Paddy55
    Veteran
    (female)

Paddy55 HB UserPaddy55 HB UserPaddy55 HB UserPaddy55 HB UserPaddy55 HB User

Hi K. Yes, I get twitches, like when your eyelid flutters on its own - you can feel a tiny muscle twitching. I also get twitches in larger muscles, especially my legs, and they feel more like a very quick clench.
    Wishing you peace and comfort,
    Paddy

Old 09-10-2008, 01:35 PM   #4
    Kris0120
    (female)

Kris0120 HB User

Hi, yes I get muscle twitches all the time. I have hypothyroidism and fibro. so I'm not sure which one would be causing these. It's really annoying to get these and I've started taking more vitamins hoping it will help. I read somewhere it could be caused by a lack of magnesium. I hope you get answers and some relief. Take care, Kris

Old 09-10-2008, 01:37 PM   #5
    k2626
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

k2626 HB User

Thanks Kris, I am getting my PTH tested actually. Can you tell me what your thyroid symtpoms were? Thanks a bunch

Old 09-10-2008, 08:38 PM   #6
    seaturtle1
    (female)

seaturtle1 HB User

hi,,Yes, I can go into "twitch mode". I have found taking Magnesium Maleate in a somewhat high dosage every day has helped this a lot.

Do you have muscle relaxants? Ask your doc - maybe this will help.

Muscle twitches can be caused by nutritional deficiences, so you'd do well to have yourself checked out for that.

Old 09-10-2008, 09:01 PM   #7
    k2626
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

k2626 HB User

Mine are all over my body mostly at night. Like one area will twitch for a second then a second later another area. Is that what happens with you?

I guess my main concern is my bone pain

Old 09-13-2008, 06:30 PM   #8
    Kris0120
    (female)

Kris0120 HB User

Hi again, my thyroid symptoms were, a lot of weight gain, exhausted all the time. Puffy, swollen eyelids and face. Dry brittle nails and hair, felt like I was walking around in a daze, and could cry at every little thing ( which normally isn't like me) Insomnia was a problem, but I don't know for sure which of these were thyroid related or if some overlapped with fibro. I get the muscle twitches and am very stiff and sore in the morning. Some mornings I would have to crawl out of bed and had back spasms. I still get the back spasms but am trying to get healthy and diet and walk. It's really difficult to lose weight with the combination of the thyroid and fibro. problems. Either I am stiff and sore or am too tired to even think about the walking. I am really hoping to be able to get going and get the weight off though. The extra weight just aggravates everything. I was told if I didn't lose weight I might get diabetes on top of everything else. It's a vicious cycle with these diseases, but I remain hopeful to pull myself together. Good luck to you. Kris

Old 09-14-2008, 02:31 AM   #9
    DeBeachSiren
    Veteran
    (female)

DeBeachSiren HB User

Wow,

I have knots all over, I get spasms especially between my shoulders, but I've never had the twitches. Yikes.........I'm glad I was spared this one.

My thoughts will be with you.

AnneBoleyn

Old 09-14-2008, 04:50 PM   #10
    lallerb
    (female)

lallerb HB User

I get muscle twitches all over. I usually don't really notice it until I'm trying to sleep. For awhile I thought my partner was all twitchy and restless, but I watched her sleeping peaceful as could be a few times before I figured out it was ME! I was getting so frustrated with her, too. What a dufus I can be.

I've been on the trial pack of Nortriptyline for about four weeks now. I'm falling asleep easier, and my partner says she notices I'm not as jerky and restless through the night. I still wake up all the time, though.

Old 09-14-2008, 06:18 PM   #11
    k2626
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

k2626 HB User

Laugh--that is pretty funny!

Do you notice your muscle twitching while you sit vs being jerky?

Old 09-14-2008, 07:20 PM   #12
    shrtcak81
    (female)

shrtcak81 HB User

Lately I've had a lot of muscle twitches, which I usually don't get very often. It's really weird when you can actually see the muscle twitching and it won't stop.

Crystal

Old 09-14-2008, 08:37 PM   #13
    TEdds83
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

TEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB User

I have had muscle twitches on and off for the past year. I was so worried I went and had tests run at the neurologist. We have come to conclude it was the consistant doses of Sudefed I was on for my allergies. You may want to consider that if you take certain allergy meds.

Old 09-15-2008, 05:51 AM   #14
    Paddy55
    Veteran
    (female)

Paddy55 HB UserPaddy55 HB UserPaddy55 HB UserPaddy55 HB UserPaddy55 HB User

I guess I get 2 kinds of "muscle twitches" - the simple spasm of a muscle, like a twitching. The 2nd kind, like TEdwards, I jerk when I'm sleeping - major big jerks. My h says I am like an alligator in a trap. Nightmares too. But that can happen and I don't remember a thing, unless he has to wake me right up from a nightmare. I'm actually trying to reduce caffeine, down to 1 cup of coffee a day now, hoping that might help. Sugar too.
    Wishing you peace and comfort,
    Paddy

Old 09-16-2008, 02:17 PM   #15
    rosebuddy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

rosebuddy HB Userrosebuddy HB Userrosebuddy HB Userrosebuddy HB User

I used to have muscle twitches where my limbs, neck, or even the whole side of my body jerked and it was during the day. It was when i was really flaring or right before a flare. At that time, rushing, mult-tasking, or anything like that was just too much for my nervous system and i would flare. burning skin in patches and all over my body was part of my flares too. I am doing so much better now at least this time of year. the main trigger for a flare for me is when a cold front is moving in.

Closed Thread