It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board

• question for those who take steroids

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-30-2008, 06:04 AM   #1
    bluelakelady
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

bluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB User
    question for those who take steroids

hi kids,
    this having steroids in my body is a new thing for me. question.
    do you experience moments of feeling okay only to have a sudden rush of weird almost energy with a sharp edge to the sensation. emotional edge. not anger or aggression. like my heart is beating a thousand times a second and all of me vibrates. my mind goes in hyperdrive only uselessly so. i break out in sweats, i was warned about that.
    this is bizarre. i am not worried or scared. just curious.
    peace,
    bluelakelady

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-30-2008, 06:13 AM   #2
    Paddy55
    Veteran
    (female)

Paddy55 HB UserPaddy55 HB UserPaddy55 HB UserPaddy55 HB UserPaddy55 HB User
    Re: question for those who take steroids

Blue - I'm not on them right now, but been on them 3 different times. Sort of sounds like what I called the thrushes - was a kind of flash of heat up my throat, and then like all my nerves jiggled for a second - very short amount of time in total. Maybe 2 minutes? They always finished with an unwelcome "all over sweat", and then back to "normal". BTW, Blue, thanks for referring to me as a kid. I'm old enough to know that the above described were not the same as hot flashes!!
    Peace and comfort,
    Paddy

Old 09-30-2008, 06:20 AM   #3
    bluelakelady
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

bluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB User

hi paddy,
    thanks kiddo. i am old enough to know hot flashes too. these are way different. what you say is what i am feeling. this is trippy. did you have mood swings? so far i am doing good in that arena but i was warned about the possibility and do sense a sharper tone just under my words. my son says i sound more assertive.
    peace,
    blue

Old 09-30-2008, 07:32 AM   #4
    goldyfm
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

goldyfm HB Usergoldyfm HB Usergoldyfm HB User

I had a series of reactions to steroids. They definitely are not for everyone. I would report the symptoms to the prescribing physician. As in my case, I am no longer a candidate for steroid therapy. I had a serious reaction that affected my already ailing heart. Steroids should not be taken lightly. Always better to be safe than sorry. Just a friendly reminder that medications are serious treatments and should be used with the utmost diligence and care. I know that many get much needed relief (as was my case in the beginning) It just seems that so many of us develop sensitivities to many meds and have to be extremely careful once that happens. I do hope that your symptoms wane and you have no further problems with its use.

Old 09-30-2008, 08:43 AM   #5
    Paddy55
    Veteran
    (female)

Blue - mood swings were not an issue during any of the times I was on prednisone. I was just "up". period. So I guess I could say whatever your state of mind at the time, maybe steroids accentuate whatever that is?
    However, now I am not on any, and I am experiencing rough mood swings. Within a day, up, down, all over the place. Been going on for over a year. Do you think there could be a long-term after-affect of steroids?
    I never have had this kind of issue with injected cortisone.
    Goldy, I hear what you're saying. Not to be taken unless necessary and needs to be closely monitored. On the other hand, I know several people who are on steady low-dose prednisone and doing very well - again - closely monitored.
    Peace and comfort,
    Paddy

Old 09-30-2008, 06:24 PM   #6
    MizSpentyouth2
    (female)

MizSpentyouth2 HB User

Hello Blue
    I have been off and on steroids over the years when the flares get so intense and the pain won't let go. My mood swings got so bad from them I actually had a friend make a door magnet to warn others heh
    I am usually passive and not easily riled. My new Hubby of 2 years (a saint of a man) who has held my hand through many of these doc appointments has always listened quietly to the docs and let me do the talking but on the last occasion when I was having a bad flare and my doc said " I think prednisone is in order" He asked her "Please can we try something else?" heh

My daughters also refer to it as the exorcist drug That my head spins and I spew So yes I would say there is an energy to it. But if I can just stay away from people it does help me when nothing else works. I can not stay on them for maintenance only tapers for breakthrough
    I hope this helps you and I wish you feel the joyful energy I am sending you way I haven't been to joyful this week but what I do have I will share with you
    pain free hugs
    Miz

Old 09-30-2008, 07:07 PM   #7
    seaturtle
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

seaturtle HB User

Hi,

I had euphoria on steroids, rapid weight gain, and yes, mood swings.

I hope you are not having to be on for a long time.

To check it out, why not query your pharmacist?

Best to you,

Seaturtle

Old 09-30-2008, 07:31 PM   #8
    Glojer
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Glojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB User

Hi blue, you knew I would wade in here sooner or later. Prednisone, my favorite drug. I really do very well on it, you know me, more energy and actually weight loss. Of course it does help with the pain. I did well from the very start, but I do have those hot sweats and the fast beating heart sometimes. I always thought they were from the thyroid meds, but they may be from the prednisone. I don't really get a rush or anything, but of course I haven't taken high doses like you may be getting in your injections. I of course don't have the mood swings either, but I do think I am a little more forceful or a little sharper when aggravated or pushed to my limit. I just thought that was age! I take a maintenence dose but at the docs suggestion when I flare I go up on my dosage for two weeks. I hope you can get through this and get some relief from your pain. I know prednisone is a serious drug and can be very dangerous, but I am just the poster child for it when in low doses. Really don't want to have to try high doses.

Hang in there girlfriend......how are you doing with the fanny? When did you start your injections, I lost total track of things? Hope to be hanging around here a little more. You notice I said hope.....but I sure am going to try.

Glojer

Old 09-30-2008, 09:54 PM   #9
    mim
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mim HB Usermim HB Usermim HB Usermim HB Usermim HB Usermim HB Usermim HB User

Hi to all! It has been a while since I have been on here. Lurking has been a necessity. I have had a shot of steroids in hip for knee and hip flares and tolerated that somewhat well. Only gained 2 pounds and lost it quickly. I did have the hot wind as I called it. It was a weird sensation of intense heat inside and out, and then I would sweat and lay up under the ceiling fan over bed, turn on the small floor fan and dare the dogs to come near me....lol.
    I have unfortunately been in a rather nasty flare since last July. My neurologist saw me for our quarterly meeting/conference and he saw how I was struggling to walk. I have full body osteoarthritis at 39, and it makes me feel 99 when it flares up. He decided I needed quick relief as he felt my hands, wrists, and elbows for new nodules and put me on decadron 12 mg a day for 5 days and then come off. I always thought we were supposed to titrate up and titrate down when using higher dosing for a short time. Anyway, I really felt much better within that first day. While fortunate to feel relief from the pain of walking, sitting, or resting I began to feel really off the wall weird. I became over sensitive to any sound the second day and started to become disoriented. I felt it was because we had a death in the family and it was off the wall trying to contact other family and arrange for plane tickets to and from, housing, and well ya'll know the drill. I finally tried on the third day to rest and could not sleep. I was pushing myself sick. On day four I realized I had driven my son and myself to the viewing, and driven back the hour drive. I have little memory of that day which is really scarey. My brother came in that night and was staying with us. He is a doctor and immediately realized that I was experiencing manic episodes that were getting worse quickly. He told me to not take another pill and to start intensely hydrating my body with water and/ or tea.
    He was a great help letting me hang on him at the funeral, because I was now so clumsy I felt like I had lead for arms instead of puny muscles with some fluff to protect them...
    Needless to say I was thrilled he stayed for a couple more days and he and my son had a great time at the beach and we watched several new movies at home as a family. He kept an eye on me and would suggest I get a rag and go around wiping the counters to give my overhyped body a way of working out that compulsion to not stop doing "something". Sorry if this is long, but I just wanted to show that one steroid works slower but has fewer side effects at a smaller dosage and another at high short term dosage can cause a, or several manic episodes. It took about 2 weeks to deal with the wackiness of my body. My neuro said there was no way I was feeling out of it for that long a period, but he does not have fibro, and the unbearably growing list of other problems. It seems that folks with fibro experience a higher rate of manic episodes on high doses of decadron from what I have confirmed from my other fibromites/friends.
    Hang in there everyone!
    Mim Gregg

Old 09-30-2008, 11:19 PM   #10
    DeBeachSiren
    Veteran
    (female)

DeBeachSiren HB User

Blue,

Is this happening because of the fanny injections? How is that going?

I don't know that mine really did anything for me so far, it still isn't very comfortable sitting.

As for steroids.......I don't notice anything except that it leaves a metal taste in my mouth.

Got my 1st Supartz injection out of 5 in my knee monday. Boy did that hurt! Worse than cortizone. It's given in the kneecap, not on the sides. I've heard after the 3rd shot you really can tell a difference. I just wish that doctors would understand that putting that freeze spray on an injection site isn't worth it, after the needle goes through the skin it hurts.....it isn't numb there.

Hope you're doing alright everyone.
    AnneBoleyn

Old 10-01-2008, 05:22 AM   #11
    Paddy55
    Veteran
    (female)

Mim - hi. I always thought steroids had to be slowly titrated up and down too. But on a trip to emerg with what I thought was a barfy migraine, the doc found an extremely high SED rate, and decided he had to treat me for temporal arteritis, which can destroy sight in the affected eye. Immediately he gave me 60 mg prednisone, and then the next day I had to start titrating down. That was a looooog time getting off it that time. And there was no slow progression up on the dose - 60 mg right off the bat. It was a difficult few months I can tell you!
    The other times I've been on it, the highest dose was 20 mg titrated down slowly.
    Have a pleasant day everyone!
    Peace and comfort,
    Paddy

Old 10-01-2008, 06:23 AM   #12
    bluelakelady
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

wow. thanks everyone. i am honored by all of you taking time to write. the affects are supposed to only mess with me for about 16 days. the injection site is feeling a bit better. still some pain from the invasion of the needle. to be expected. i have noticed i wake in no pain. yea, no pain. very cool. it lasts an hour at most but i sure do love that time. giggle. soon as i sit for any bit of time it does say hi.
    yesterday was rough. had a bad headache. due to the corticosteroid. i was told it could happen.
    anne, i had those injections in both my knees 2 years ago. they did help. won't do it again. caused inflamation at the injection site that i still deal with. yea, those do hurt. i had 3 shots in my left knee and 5 in my right. once a month.
    again thank you all so very much. yes glojer i knew you would pop in. thanks sis.
    time to get up for a bit.
    peace and gratitude,
    blue

Old 10-01-2008, 07:21 AM   #13
    goldenwings
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

goldenwings HB User
    Smile Re: question for those who take steroids

Hiya blue,

Not sure if you mean steroid injections into specific areas or oral steroids - not been able to read all of the posts, my eyesight is playing up again - but I will answer the best way I can.

As you know, I have been taking steroids - prednisolone/prednisone - for well over 30 years, every day. I started on massive doses, then over the years have cut down. Now I increase them as and when I need to as I know when I need the extra boost for my lupus problems. I try to be on a maintenance dose.

I have never had mood swings or anything like that. I have not had anything like that in all of the time I have been taking them. The only thing that happened to me when I was very young - when I started on them - was the weight gain and moon face. This was really distressing because of my age - ok vain hee hee - but after a while I lost the weight and moon face.

Only my experience, but hope this helps in some way.

goldenwings

Old 10-01-2008, 08:24 AM   #14
    bluelakelady
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

hiya goldie,
    just hearing from you is help. i had an injection. so far no increase in weight. the affects should only last 16 days.
    sorry your eyes are being brats. i appreciate you taking time to reply. giggle, i think i knew you would. you and glojer are the "old hat's" at steroids.
    thanks old girl.
    peace,
    blue

Old 10-01-2008, 06:41 PM   #15
    bevann26
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

bevann26 HB Userbevann26 HB Userbevann26 HB User

hi blue...i just got off a steroid run of about 5wks..twice orally...3 injections. i find they really mess with my stomach..i have gastreoitis/stomach polyps. they also increase my energy and i feel hungry all the time. had to call doc today..percs i evidently can't take with steroids..they add to the stomach problem. he has me on lortab for now.
    i'm so glad your injections are over with..please to god they help you!
    hope you are finding peace in your lake and mountains....take care, bevann

Closed Thread