It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board

• Anyone pretty much homebound?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-30-2008, 11:34 AM   #1
    BelleoftheSouth
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

BelleoftheSouth HB UserBelleoftheSouth HB UserBelleoftheSouth HB UserBelleoftheSouth HB UserBelleoftheSouth HB UserBelleoftheSouth HB UserBelleoftheSouth HB User
    Anyone pretty much homebound?

I leave my house only if it is absolutely necessary.

I've lost my friends and only family is around me now and I seem to like it like this. No more having to explain to friends how one day I'm okay and the next I'm not able to move. My family understands and they stay by me.

I have gotten to the point of not minding living like a hermit because there isn't anything else left.

Anyone else feel like this?

Belle~

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-31-2008, 02:19 AM   #2
    SD83
    (male)

SD83 HB User
    Re: Anyone pretty much homebound?

This describes me perfectly. If it were not for my grandmother, I would be without anyone. I feel terribly shamed for being in this position, at the same time, completely blessed because she gives me the strength to face each waking day. I am only too frustrated because I want to be able to do something for her for a change.

I stopped contact with many friends, because they did not understand my condition, and actually actively held it against me. I wouldn't return their phone calls when they would ask me for money or to "go out and party", so they thought I was "mad at them". I explained to them many times what it feels like to live in my shoes. They think it is a giant excuse. To be honest, I am better without them.

In this day and age, it is possible to truly connect with people who you can consider real friends. Before, you were only limited to your local surroundings. Now, with the internet, all that share your suffering are there for you to care for you and to care about you.

Friends, they may come and go. Us, we are here forever. We will always be here for you. Take my hand and I promise that a better tomorrow will be waiting for us all. You will never be alone. I am glad that you are here.

Old 10-31-2008, 07:30 AM   #3
    ebrena
    Veteran
    (female)

ebrena HB Userebrena HB User

You are not alone, I have been a recluse for sometime now and I like it too. My world is very small. I go out a couple times a week to pick up stuff and hope I don't run into anyone I know or should say used to know. None of my friends know about how I feel health wise or what is wrong with me and that is the way I like it. If I was in contact with them they would want to hang out and do lunch or something and I just never know how I am going to feel and do not like explaining it or making some excuse up. I have more issues besides fibro I also have COPD (chronic bronchitus and diabetes type 2) so all these wear me down plus I am always sore somewhere. I am not very close to my family anymore they all still drink and party and I can't so I'm boring. I have my 3 bulldogs who love me know matter how I am feeling, my husband is very good about my reclusivness in fact I think he kind of likes it, I'm sure he gets tired of me always not feeling well somewhere but oh well, can't do much about it-and I would prefer he not ask how I am feeling. You would think he could tell by looking at me, my hair up in a goofy ponytail, I'm still running around in shorts and tanks because of hot flashes, and I lie down constantly throughout the day. I wake up and can barely move and I wonder where I will hurt today. I get most of my pain in my neck, back of my head (so big headaches) shoulders and my clavical area so I don't like moving my head to much because I can't and 50 questions just make me more uptight and my headache worse, so I like to be left alone with my dogs and my computer and my little crafty projects I am trying to get into. So far I feel good this morning except I made a crappy pot of coffee I changed brands-don' ever change brands!) I hope we all have a good day in our small little worlds.

Old 10-31-2008, 08:09 AM   #4
    sey
    Inactive

sey HB Usersey HB User

And me!!! my list of friends and invites has dwindled, l dont go out much at all esp when in pain if l dont have to go out l wont. Also l dont like to go out alone either! That has crept up on me slowly over the years theres nothing worse than been out alone and feeling ill. I feel ashamed too someone else mentioned feeling ashamed, l want to be a social butterfly again and enjoy the fresh air get to gethers etc but when there planned 9/10 times l am not up to it...but its easier to stay in the comfort of my home. I keep telling myself when l dont feel to bad and the weather is fine l MUST get out even if its not for long. Nasty disease this fibro to be honest llike my own company, and l just dont like feeling robbed of who l was.. never mind we got each other eh? xx Take care all xxxx

Old 10-31-2008, 12:36 PM   #5
    Snickers60
    (female)

Snickers60 HB User

I too am homebound MOST of the time. I do make it to Wally World every now and then or the dollar store, but hubby now has to do big grocery shopping. I have a lot of good friends on the net from here, and friends from the net I chat with all the time, but friends are long gone, and my family is a pain..........it's all about them. I am sure they thought I was having a pity party all these years, and it caused a lot of damage. In my family, you only call them IF YOU WANT TROUBLE......they are rarely if ever a HELP and always cause UPSETS. They're just a fighting bunch, and I CANNOT DO that stress, so we are very estranged for the most part now. I need loving kind helpful people, not folks who make it worse. I will give up almost ANYTHING and ANYONE not to be stressed it makes me so much sicker.

I use to try and DO FRIENDS......and be in a few clubs but that has changed and I'm unable to Commit to anything at present. I still hate it. I enjoy my company, but enough is enough.

I don't feel like doing crafts etc. anymore, and so the time passes slowly. I hate having become a PUTER/TV addict, but it sure is a lot of company when one is sooooooo lonely....and I am still lonely. I am NOT FINE with this and will never be. I want my life back.

I want to go and do and be..........and LIVE. Most of the time I try to be content, but I must say I've slipped into a deep depression of late (few years). When I was no longer able to go get my groceries, that was HUGE for me. I never was able to get them, and put them up, except for the cold stuff.......hubby would get the rest out of the car when he got home, but just losing that last ONE THING that I so loved to do has been a grief to me.

I'm sick of looking at the same o, same o outside and inside. I am bored to tears.

I hate feeling as though I'm not loved and yet I don't do company very well. It wears me out after just a LITTLE BIT. I love my NET friends, but I'm the kind of person who needs some friends, someone to love me WITH SKIN ON.

I HAVE A FABULOUS HUBBY, and I am sooooo grateful to God for that. He gets me out every weekend I'm able to go anywhere or just for a ride.

Have to count the blessings I have I know..............but I hate this........and I'm never not going to hate it. LIfE STEALING ILLNESS...............YUCK ! Sorry to be long.......guess this hit a cord with me and I needed to vent.

Blessings and HEALTH to all, Snickers

Old 10-31-2008, 02:56 PM   #6
    sey
    Inactive

sey HB Usersey HB User

Snickers l bet all of us here feel as bad as you describe alot of the time I havnt the energy to put up with company for long either honestly when people turn up unannounced and 'stay way to long' l feel like lm going to drop! Sometimes even been on the phone too long all l want to do is get of it for peace!! Its a hard thing to describe unless youve been there that is why fibro is so misunderstood defo here in the Uk!! You take care thinking of you x Ps l dont even bother chatting on msn etc now l just cannot be bothered!

Old 10-31-2008, 05:34 PM   #7
    CarrieBB
    (female)

CarrieBB HB User

Hi, new here. Glad to have found this board. I feel the exact same way. I am totally worn out most of the time. Could sleep forever and still wake up as tired as when I fell asleep. After going to 2 stores yesterday and doing the dishes, it totally wiped me out. I fell asleep at midnight, woke up at 6 to take my son to school, came home and slept until 4pm! I'm still tired. I am on Provigil and slept through that, Doctor refuses to give me Ritalin.

My symptoms were getting better a few months ago. I was on Lyrica, Provigal, Norco and Xanax. I was stable but not perfect. At least I was functioning, albeit slowly with everything. Still could not work but thought I would get there with time. My dumba$$ pain mgt doctor pulled my Lyrica abruptly because the Lyrica blurred my vision. This, even before the brain MRI was done. I went through horrible withdrawals and he would not return my calls. My PCP didn't understand why he did this but put me on Cymbalta. The side effects were horrible. Next visit to pain doc, told him what happened. He puts me on neurontin (Lyrica is a more pure form of Neurontin and causes less side effects). That gave me worse vision problems, didn't help with the fibro pain, and gave me severe shakes. He said he was yanking me off the xanax (been on it for years for severe anxiety/panic attacks). I was incredulous. Said that's not going to happen. He said yes it is and walked away. I went for a second opinion and it turns out the two doctors were best buddies so the second opinion doc was mean and sent a letter to my pain doc. He mentioned pulling me off xanax at my appt so I know where that came from. Went to see my rheumy. They put me back on Lyrica and said they woud write for my meds and to fire my pain mgt doc. But it took me a month to get through the Lyrica side effects before and it's like being back at square one. Add to this I have had a "period" for nine weeks now and last week I started to have rectal bleeding. I also have DDD and severe, rapidly progresssive osteo arthritis.

I am almost to the point of asking someone to just kill me. Who knows what this bleeding is, but it can't be anything good.

I only leave the house if I absolutely have to. I have to get groceries tonight and have to work up the energy to even do that. I am so depressed, I want to scream.

Thanks anyone for listening.

Carrie

Old 10-31-2008, 07:15 PM   #8
    aphrodite62782
    (female)

aphrodite62782 HB User

I am so sorry to hear about all of this, and I to feel the same way. The only problem is, I have to work full time to support my family. As you can imagine this is very difficult for me. Plus I have a 4 month old. Since I went back to work, I have been in horrible amounts of pain. I try to stay positive but it is getting the best of me and I just want to curl up in a ball and sleep.....i guess thinking that will heal me.....blah. See I have a quadruple wammy. I have Fibromyalgia, chronic fatigue (hand and hand), endometriosis, chronic mono, oh and intersticial cystitus. Yes all diagnosed and they allllll SUCK!!!!!!

I hate working a long week and then coming home to guests. It makes me nuts! I am curtious of course but just want everyone to leave me alone. Then there's the whole friends thing, I have to say I actually have a good network of friends, the only issue is that they worry wayyyyyy too much about me and it becomes a "thing". Instead of just letting me try to get through it, they will baby me and make it an issue in public. Well darnit I don't want everyone in the world knowing I am ill. Then there are the ones that act like they care and really don't. I have been blessed with two friends at work that also have fibro and that has been amazing. They get me through the day. Really they do.

I have an amazing husband, but he just doesn't always get what I am going through. He tries to play with me, like I am just a normal person. Which on one hand I love because he doesn't see me differently for my issues. But on the other hand I hate it because I always get "hurt". I hate that my life has been taken away and that I have a very limited amount of things I can do. I am so afraid that I will drop my son one day or that one day i won't be able to hold him. It breaks my heart to think that I won't be a "normal" mom for my son. I won't be able to play football or baseball with him. I won't be able to run and play with him. Okay now I am ticked offff!!!! My family thinks I am crazy and just trying to get attention. Oh yeah! I sooooo want fibromyalgia! Please give it to me so I can wine and cry and hurt sooo bad! What jerks! Anyone who says this is a ploy for pity is out of their minds. No one would want this.

Well all that to say that none of you are alone, we are in this together and I am glad to be back on the boards. Gentle hugs to all!

Last edited by aphrodite62782; 10-31-2008 at 07:19 PM. Reason: to add more

Old 11-01-2008, 02:10 AM   #9
    SD83
    (male)

SD83 HB User

Dear me! For all of you thinking of "The End", no. None of that. No more! Please, if there's anything I can do...

This is highly hypocritical of me to say this, because these last few days have been among my worst. But, I must stress, "The End" is not "The Answer".

This is going to sound nuts, but I want to say to you all who are in despair -- I do believe we were blessed with fibro in order to accelerate global awareness of the self and what the human existence truly consists of. I think time has yet to tell our story. We have to stay strong until that day comes, or else it will pass us by and history will never know our names, our struggles, our stories, or our lives. Not one of us should needlessly suffer. Not one of us should die in vain.

Too many times people write our condition off, saying "hang in there", "stay strong", you've heard them all. But, by golly, if we don't, who will? We will not be forgotten, and we are not forsaken. You are all fighting for a good cause, the cause of the self. Please don't let me down, but more importantly, don't let yourself down. You owe it to yourself.

(Quick Re: aphrodite -- interstitial cystitis, my goodness I sure do dislike that symptom quite a bit! Know of anything that alleviates it? Doctors charged me $2000 to tell me "nothing is wrong". Thanks interstitial cystitis!)

Old 11-01-2008, 06:13 AM   #10
    BelleoftheSouth
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

BelleoftheSouth HB UserBelleoftheSouth HB UserBelleoftheSouth HB UserBelleoftheSouth HB UserBelleoftheSouth HB UserBelleoftheSouth HB UserBelleoftheSouth HB User

Good morning all. I hope we can all have a gentle day and not be put into pain mode that ends up with staying in bed all day.

It's bad that we're homebound. Like some others (my life is strange) I do have someone who loves me dearly and refuses to give up on me and that would be my ex-husband. He has always remained family because my family loves him and he never went far after our divorce and that was years ago 15 years ago.

He finally talked me into moving back to my home and we have separate rooms but he calls 3 or more times a day checking on me buying me what I need making sure I take my meds because I forget.

I never thought that my ex would grow up and become responsible yet he has. I can say he has been a godsend to me and I never thought I'd say that as we had a horrible marriage. It works for us now because he is a workaholic and I see him maybe 12-14 hours a week and he will take me out for a long drive and lunch or dinner once a week but I can't wait to get back home.

Like someone here said, a select few were given this illness so the world will find out about this sickness and we will be able to help others. If it weren't us it would be someone not so strong (At times I wonder how much longer this strength will last?) and we apparently are the strongest of the group.

I never thought this would be the way my life would work out but it did. I stay internally upset because I wanted a different life and it's not to be but I'll stay with what I have and hopefully a cure will be found.

Be well all and (((gentle hugs for you)))

Belle~

Old 11-01-2008, 05:54 PM   #11
    aphrodite62782
    (female)

aphrodite62782 HB User

Hey SD,

Yes Intersticial Cystitus is actually a disease all it's own. It is a bladder problem. The only thing you can do is drink lots of water, stay away from things with potassium and acidic ingredients and you can get some over the counter urinary relief stuff as well. Other then nothing really works. Thanks for the encouragement.

Last edited by mod-anon; 11-24-2008 at 09:55 PM. Reason: removed quote

Old 11-02-2008, 11:29 AM   #12
    Snickers60
    (female)

Snickers60 HB User

Actually I had horrible IC back in the early 90's (bedridden a lot, shut in, horrible spasms, going 40 times a day......real bad. My doc would put me in the hospital, do a chlorpactin treatment under sleep and INSTANTLY I was better as though I did not have it. After doing this treatment about 4 or 5 times over the course of about 16-18 months I was healed of IC and never had it again at all until I had an inguinal nerve block in my pelvic area and it set it off again.

I had another hydrodistention without chlorpactin and I am healed again, only watcthing citrus etc. but no big deal.

IC is very AKIN to and associtaed with Fibro and Chronic Fatigue.

There is HELP. AND EVEN A CURE..........at least for me it was, and I'm so glad, because it might be one of the worst parts of Fibro I've ever suffered.

Blessings and Health, SNICKERS

Old 11-02-2008, 01:30 PM   #13
    Jenn4508
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Jenn4508 HB UserJenn4508 HB User

I haven't posted in quite sometime but this was something that really touched me... I too, stay at home except for the 3-4 doctor's appointments I must go to every month... I am 45 and was a workaholic up until June 06 when everything went to hell... I had fibro way before then but in 06 I suffered TIA strokes, then suffered a mental breakdown, which the stress and panic attacks really kicked the fibro into high gear... I was on medical leave and had one doctor release me because I knew I was going to be fired and at least I could draw unemployment... I finally filed for disability and am awaiting a hearing with the judge because I was denied. Other than the fibro I also have chronic myofascial pain, TMJ, gastritis, divirticulosis, IBS, panic attacks, severe migraines, asthma, severe BiPolar 1 which is still not under control due to the fact that I am in a severe mixed state that the doctor just cannot see. I remarried in 05 and he has become a full fledge alcoholic which does not help the situation. My attorney just had my therapist complete a mental evalution form for disability and she even added comments, if that doesn't help my case then I don't see how anyone will get disability.

It is so scary for me this place I am in right now... I have been in so many altercations with complete strangers due to stress and not feeling well that I am scared to death to go out. Right now my body is hurting so bad and I didn't sleep at all last night...

Yesterday I ran into one of those things that hold your curtains back, its made of steel, it hit my arm right below my shoulder... Well now I have a major flare of fibro in my elbow, shoulder, neck and back just from running into that stupid thing that is supposed to look pretty....

I really do appreciate this thread because sometimes I get so tired of those ones that talk about how much everyone does even with their fibro and how beautiful life can be if you just let it. Hell, I can't even cook dinner for my family anymore due to the fact I can't remember what I was doing and I fear I will burn the house down... You can say well set the timer, I have done that and then I forget what the timer was for...

I can't do the grocery shopping anymore as it is just to much... I use to take a shower every day if not twice a day... Now it is such a chore I am lucky if I take one 2-3 times a week.... I have been Christmas shopping with my son a couple of days for many hours so that I can get it done and I guess that is taking its toll also... But damnit, I am tired of having to pace myself....

I don't like to leave my house but I hate this life in my house also so where does that leave me????????? Thank you so much for starting this post, I guess I really needed to vent and I thank you to all you let me do that.. Jenn.

Old 11-02-2008, 04:28 PM   #14
    seaturtle
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

seaturtle HB User

Hello, all,

So much suffering here. I am so sorry. I have felt this way often, too, mourning, raging, protesting. And we have good cause to feel all that.

It is good to feel it and to express it. I haven't noticed, though, that it helps me. I am going through a period of self-evaluation, mourning what I have lost (I also have multiple physical and psychiatric disorders), sooo wanting it to be different, knowing it cannot be.

My goal is to be at peace with what is with the person I am, not the person I wish to be.
    It's only then that we can move forward.

And moving forward may be a tiny thing we can do. One understanding friend who knows you love her but have not the stamina to even stay on the phone long. One little accomplishment.

We are changed people. It's hard. But within these severe limitations, we have lives that can indeed be full. Just differently than before.

I hope we all can find ways to fill our lives despite the illnesses. It is very lonely, yes. I try my best to connect with others, if only a bit. And the boards are wonderful...but I need real-time people, too.

Enough, I've gone on again. I send everyone good thoughts and understanding and much affection,

Seaturtle

Old 11-04-2008, 06:14 AM   #15
    bevann26
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

bevann26 HB Userbevann26 HB Userbevann26 HB User

hi seaturtle...loved your post and i agree with you 100%!

wishing you some pain free days...your attitude is wonderful...bevann

Closed Thread