It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board

• Lyrica worsened symptoms- anyone else?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-16-2009, 05:55 AM   #1
    NWRae
    (female)

NWRae HB User
    Question Lyrica worsened symptoms- anyone else?

I am new to board so not sure if this has already been asked or not. I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia over 10 years ago. Tried different things for pain and flairs and was actually finding a balance with lifestyle changes, eating better, limiting exercise to no more than 15 minutes at a time to let muscles rest before doing something else, finding healthy ways to de-stress, etc.
    Then a little over 2 years ago we got re-ended at a red light. Anyway, between new pain, stress, etc my Fibro flares started getting worse. The doctor tried putting me on Lyrica and it felt like my skin was on fire, and seemed to amplify the pain. He wanted to try a lower dose but that didn't help either. Flares lasted longer and were actually worse the two months I was trying Lyrica and for a few weeks after I stopped taking it. Any one else had similar experience with it?? Did they find anything else that helped if Lyrica did not help.
    For those who have had Fibro for any length of time, you definitely can tell the difference between new injury pain and a flare. Pain sucks in general but you usually can get some kind of relief through traditional medicine and they don't completely kick your behind. So I know the Lyrica actually was causing my Fibro to flare worse and harder.
    Rae

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-16-2009, 10:03 AM   #2
    Ishla
    (female)

Ishla HB User
    Re: Lyrica worsened symptoms- anyone else?

Hi NWRae,

I had a similar experience with Lyrica. I tried it with high hopes for about a month and a half. I knew at the time the adjustment period would take at least that to see if it would lessen the pain, but mine kept ramping up higher and higher. I finally realized that it was the Lyrica that was causing me to be almost screaming in pain like I had not ever felt before. I litterally had to force myself not to strip naked and run off down the street because of the feelings of tension that were building up. I also developed a new treat in my list of lovely pain goodies too... my tendons, especially the two main ones leading from the back of my skull down either side of my neck, became brittle and gritty feeling. To this day I now deal with constant irritation of those. It was several weeks after I was off of Lyrica before every movement wasn't accompanied by several cracks and pops of every joint in my body from the stiffened tendons. They still feel somewhat brittle even today so I know that it was Lyrica that damaged them. I am sooo happy for the people that it helps, and I've hear on here many stories of people getting back to a nearly normal state with it, so I am still very much in favor of Lyrica... just not for me

Old 03-17-2009, 01:26 AM   #3
    NWRae
    (female)

NWRae HB User
    Lightbulb Thank You for your reply- It really helped me

Ishla
    Thank you for your reply. Every time I see the commercials I get annoyed. Seems like everything that works for 99% of world, works backwards on me. Sorry to hear about the tendon problem but I understand that as well. My doctor finally started taking me serious after I had gone in and developed a huge knot(bruised most of the top of my foot and was like a walnut shell cut in half) on the top of my foot that was caused by my muscles in my calves cramping and working their way down to the bottom of my foot. My foot cramped sooo hard it popped the tendons out of place on top of my foot. He now realizes that I never over estimate my pain levels or problems, I actually underestimate how bad things get. That and over the past year seems like everything he tries has done the opposite so now he reconsiders how my body reacts to meds before prescribing anything. After the Lyrica experience I have to admit that I have also had problems that worsened and haven't improved since as well. Flares last longer and hit harder. I use to at least know they were coming and could adjust activities, etc. Since the Lyrica trials over 9 months ago, they hit hard and with out any warning.
    Again thank you, thank you, thank you, for letting me know someone out there understands. I was feeling like it was in my head. I am glad I joined this board. I just wish I would of done it long ago.
    Rae

Old 08-15-2011, 03:52 PM   #4
    Denise506
    (female)

Denise506 HB User
    Re: Lyrica worsened symptoms- anyone else?

I see this is an older post, but thought I would reply anyways. I was on Lyrica for 3 weeks. I HURT from head to toe! It was horrible. I swear they either gave me a placebo or the drug company is lying about the results. My Dr. took me off of it & put me back on Gabapentin/Nuerontin. Still hurt & it makes me tired, but it's better than Lyrica.

Closed Thread