It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board

• What if it's prescription medications making your Fibromyalgia worse or even causing

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-29-2009, 05:33 AM   #1
    neveragain444
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

neveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB User
    What if it's prescription medications making your Fibromyalgia worse or even causing

I know that may sound dumb but what if...

Last night I vomitted my insides out from a pill I had taken in attempt to relieve my pain.

I had gotten sick before I ever started seeing doctors on a continous basis, with fatigue. But the difference in the way I felt then and the way I feel now is pretty extreme. I'd give anything to go back.

I was reading on a website the other day how Cipro & Levaquin are being connected to long term side effects & a cause of Fibromyalgia type symptoms.

These are just two of about 300 different medications I have used in the past 8 years. The list of side effects I have had from medications could go on and on and on, some being pretty severe.

If it made you ill enough, is it a possibility it could linger on forever?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-29-2009, 07:36 AM   #2
    bluelakelady
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

bluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB User
    Re: What if it's prescription medications making your Fibromyalgia worse or even caus

have you thought of weaning yourself off your meds to see how you feel? i did this every year for several years so as to realize which meds helped and which were causing any unwanted side affects. i am on minimal meds and none specifically for fibro. i don't like the "magic" pills they have come out with for fibro. i tried them and i felt like garbage, so why take it?
    i exercise quite a bit, drink gobs of water and breath. no side affects there except perhaps these muscles i am growing. giggle.
    if it makes you puke it is not worth it.
    peace,
    bluelakelady
    ps. what are you feeling that causes you to wonder if it is meds you took a long time ago?

Last edited by bluelakelady; 03-29-2009 at 07:38 AM.

Old 03-29-2009, 08:43 AM   #3
    applecollector
    (female)

applecollector HB User
    What if it's prescription medications making your Fibromyalgia worse or even ca us

I have been on AD meds for years----no one knows the long term affects any of the drugs we take can cause.

I know when I took zomig so much for my migraines after 2 years I developed a reaction to it

And I seem now to get the bad reactions to any new AD med

I have taken myself off several meds over the years---right now don't know what I would take myself off of

Old 03-30-2009, 01:31 PM   #4
    neveragain444
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

neveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB User
    Re: What if it's prescription medications making your Fibromyalgia worse or even caus

I had a bad reaction to some medications I was taking once, and I had it tested through this lab, that confirmed that one med was making the other a higher level in me. It was a problem actually with 3 different one's I was taking. I would have to dig it all out. But it has something to do with where if I take meds that go down one particular pathway in my body, it doesn't do it correctly.

I spent hundreds of dollars to have this done because my doctors couldn't explain what was wrong, and I was determined to find out one way or the other, one doctor was guessing a bipolar issue, and I'm sorry, but that was outrageous bull blankety blank blank blank.....

I went several weeks with about 4 hours total of sleep. My body went into a severe all over spasm, into my airways, which started causing problems breathing. I got a UTI and my kidneys never really have stopped hurting since that incident. One med caused me to have a fixed specific gravity & I got very sick earlier this year.

Duragesic patches caused my acid reflux disease.

I can't help but wonder if this stuff just makes us even more prone to being sick.

And no, I haven't thought of weening myself off. After that many years of taking them, I can't stop. I'm addicted to taking something to stop whatever it is I am feeling sick from.

Old 03-30-2009, 05:25 PM   #5
    Glojer
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Glojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB User

When a pill starts making you sick, it is time to stop taking it. Many years ago, I took a drug called Midren for my migraines. I took it so long and became so sensitive to it that just opening the bottle and getting the smell of the med made me start to get nauseous. I had to stop taking it and I never did get another med to replace it. Just struggled along with OTC meds.

Now I am very aware of how a med settles with me. Your body knows what it can't take, throwing up is your body saying....this is not good....!

Glojer

Old 04-03-2009, 08:07 AM   #6
    neveragain444
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

I really like Darvocet & Flexeril for my FMS pain but it causes fatigue so bad, and I already have it bad enough, that I don't need anything making it worse.

I didn't think I could EVER live my life without taking Ambien. I am starting to find out I was wrong. My sleep is not as restful but I still feel less tired without it.

The only medication I can't give up is my acid reflux pills, and if I do, I could really pay the price for that.

Lately it seems like I'm allergic to everything, and it's not just the medications. If I drink one glass of beer, I suffer in horrible pain for days. Not that I need that anyways, but I can't even drink one once in awhile, it makes me mad.

Can't forgot the green urine I had for about a week. If it wasn't due to a problem with my liver, the only thing I can pinpoint it to is the Inderal I took, and Inderal is not supposed to cause such a thing, so if it did, maybe I am better off without that stuff. But I really don't know how I will do it. I can try but it'll drive me crazy not taking pain medication for my fibromyalgia.

But I think I'll manage to try long enough to at least see if it helps.

Old 04-03-2009, 06:24 PM   #7
    fibrostuff
    Veteran
    (female)

fibrostuff HB User

Your question sounds like you're asking if you took something in the past, could it still make you sick even after you've stopped taking it. Is that right?

Old 04-03-2009, 06:47 PM   #8
    fibromommy
    (female)

fibromommy HB User

I have always theorized that the event that triggered my fibromyalgia was withdrawing from Oxycontin. This was about 5 years ago. I have since then been on a wave of meds, lots of narcotics, and twice this year I have quit them...the first time was temporary, the second time was a month ago. I had spent very literally every day and night in bed, sleeping, since Christmas. The occasional trip to the store, or picking the kids up, a quick bite out (rare). I showered, changed clothes every few days. But during this period of hibernation and extreme depression, my fibro pain left me. Thats why I have stopped all my meds. And I am now pain free for a month. And also terrified it will return. I do agree there is a connection with the physical trauma these heavy meds cause our bodies. They can't be doing us any good, ultimately. Although I am all for them when in a world of pain, thats for sure. It is a hard line to straddle, the meds cause the pain and they help the pain. It confuses me endlessly.

Old 04-04-2009, 09:34 AM   #9
    Jenetti
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Jenetti HB User

im on all sorts of meds for fibro, kidney problems, and other problems not associated with fibro. the one thing that makes me throw up is iron and that ferrous sulfate (needed script for that one), which was expensive to begin with. taking it for anemia, have tried taking it so many different ways, before, after eating. waiting for a few hours after eating or take it few hours before eating, with food, without food. after a day or two of taking it, i start throwing up and continue till i stop. so i take it one day, stop the next, take it the next. but , i dont know if its actually even helping. My kidney doc gave that to me for being anemic. My internist says my anemia is because of my kidneys and not because of iron defiency. im also on fentanyl patches, oxycodone, soma, and other meds which never made me throw up. those i take for the fibro.

Old 04-04-2009, 04:19 PM   #10
    elle45
    Veteran
    (female)

elle45 HB Userelle45 HB Userelle45 HB User

I recently stopped all meds and replaced with vitamins and after only five days I'm a new person. See Post "It's A Miracle"

Old 04-06-2009, 03:45 AM   #11
    neveragain444
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by fibrostuff View Post
    Your question sounds like you're asking if you took something in the past, could it still make you sick even after you've stopped taking it. Is that right?
    Yes exactly. But I think it's just using medications that I have side effects to, which is most, and I need to stop.

My doctor is going to have to take my Ambien from me or/either teach me a coping skill for dealing with severe pain. I have went some nights where I've been able to sleep w/o it or just take 1/4 of the pill but last night, I took 5 of them (50mg) + my pain medications. It took that many to put me to sleep. As bad as I was hurting, I'd of took more if needed.

My medications aren't causing my fatigue & pain but some undoubtedly make it worse. I really don't want medications anymore, no matter how much some of them have helped me through rough spots, can't say I've ever had a good day just because a pill stopped a problem I was having. It may stop the pain but it can't stop the fatigue.

Old 04-06-2009, 04:02 AM   #12
    neveragain444
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by fibromommy View Post
    I have always theorized that the event that triggered my fibromyalgia was withdrawing from Oxycontin. This was about 5 years ago. I have since then been on a wave of meds, lots of narcotics, and twice this year I have quit them...the first time was temporary, the second time was a month ago. I had spent very literally every day and night in bed, sleeping, since Christmas. The occasional trip to the store, or picking the kids up, a quick bite out (rare). I showered, changed clothes every few days. But during this period of hibernation and extreme depression, my fibro pain left me. Thats why I have stopped all my meds. And I am now pain free for a month. And also terrified it will return. I do agree there is a connection with the physical trauma these heavy meds cause our bodies. They can't be doing us any good, ultimately. Although I am all for them when in a world of pain, thats for sure. It is a hard line to straddle, the meds cause the pain and they help the pain. It confuses me endlessly.
    I am so very sorry. But that is great that your feeling better. I really hope you continue to do so. I figure the type of meds your taking could of made you sleep so much. They told me back when I used to use Duragesic patches, that I was very similar to a zombie.

It breaks my heart reading that, I guess because I know how it feels, and I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy.

I used to go a week at a time without a shower, not that I do anymore (lol) and I stopped taking care of my teeth, caused some serious dental problems. Before getting on this forum recently and talking to all of you, I was sleeping constantly, having fits of crying because I couldn't take feeling this way anymore. But life is starting to get better, well except for last night.

Old 04-06-2009, 04:27 AM   #13
    neveragain444
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jenetti View Post
    im on all sorts of meds for fibro, kidney problems, and other problems not associated with fibro. the one thing that makes me throw up is iron and that ferrous sulfate (needed script for that one), which was expensive to begin with. taking it for anemia, have tried taking it so many different ways, before, after eating. waiting for a few hours after eating or take it few hours before eating, with food, without food. after a day or two of taking it, i start throwing up and continue till i stop. so i take it one day, stop the next, take it the next. but , i dont know if its actually even helping. My kidney doc gave that to me for being anemic. My internist says my anemia is because of my kidneys and not because of iron defiency. im also on fentanyl patches, oxycodone, soma, and other meds which never made me throw up. those i take for the fibro.
    If the anemia is from a kidney problem, have they been able to tell you why? Are your kidneys causing excessive blood loss? You'd think if it was from some sort of blood loss, something "surgically" could be done to help.

Maybe you could try a vitamin that contains Iron but Iron not being the only suppliment in it. It is not at all healthy for you to be throwing up like that all of the time. Have they tried you on anything to at least try to suppress the vomitting?

Maybe it's an allergic reaction, and if it is, the vomitting will not let up until you stop what it is hurting you. I don't see how it could help your anemia
    if your puking everything up out of you. Maybe the iron is reacting as a poison to your body. Have you talked to your doctor about it? I really think they need to be doing something more here to help you.

Old 04-06-2009, 04:43 AM   #14
    neveragain444
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by elle45 View Post
    I recently stopped all meds and replaced with vitamins and after only five days I'm a new person. See Post "It's A Miracle"
    Was you checked for Vit B deficiency before taking these? I also take a suppliment that is loaded in vitamins & stuff to help your adrenal glands. I could see somewhat of a difference but it wasn't enough to make too much of a difference. It seems the more I exercise, the more I gain back my strength. I believe that is helping me more than anything.

Closed Thread