It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board

• lymph node pain?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-04-2009, 01:36 AM   #1
    neveragain444
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

neveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB User
    lymph node pain?

i have this place in my shoulder (left side) close to my neck maybe 1/2 an inch from it, that feels like a knot & it hurts, lymph node maybe? Do you have lymph nodes in your shoulders?

I rubbed on it but it's not helpful, and it's making my facial tension on that side worsen.

Last edited by neveragain444; 06-04-2009 at 01:40 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-04-2009, 10:19 AM   #2
    beth67
    (female)

beth67 HB User
    Re: lymph node pain?

I can't believe I came across your post. I'm having the exact same problem. It's been going on for a week now. Pain in my left shoulder blade neck area and it seems to radiate to the left side of my face. The only thing I can think I did to cause this is doing strengthening with my physical therapy bands. I hold them over my head and pull them apart to strengthen my back. Last week was the first time I had done it in a long time. Maybe I pulled something. I don't think you have lymph nodes back there. My shoulder is very sensitive to the touch. Achy all over put there is one spot that is extremely painful. I'm been trying to do trigger point therapy on it but it's a hard spot to reach. Interesting how the pain radiates up to the face. I know this isn't much help but weird we both have the same problem.

Beth

Old 06-04-2009, 12:25 PM   #3
    rosebuddy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

rosebuddy HB Userrosebuddy HB Userrosebuddy HB Userrosebuddy HB User

i used to get pain around my collar bone area and under my neck. they were tender points. sometimes a seat belt would aggrivate them.

Old 06-04-2009, 02:08 PM   #4
    neveragain444
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

neveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB User

Well this is more than just pain, I can feel a pretty good size knot there and it's not on the other side of my shoulder like that.

beth67

my facial pain, I have both TMJ and bruxism but I am also having muscle tension causing SEVERE episodes of pain and I thought it was the TMJ but I don't think so now. Especially after reading your post.

My pain is down in my back by the bottom left side of that big bone there and into my spine. When I exercised today, it first started hurting in the left side of my chest (sharp & tightening pain), but then the back pain got bad, it went into my left shoulder, left of my neck, and left arm, my face (both sides), and then brought on a mild headache. It's all in my left side. No doubt whatsover being stirred up by that sore spot in my back. I don't know what I did to cause this, I just wake up and it's horrible, and then I have to get up cause it's so bad, and then later it gets better. But the exercise makes it hurt constantly, today it just made it hurt extremely bad.

My doctor didn't do anything. I mean if I had thought for a moment that back pain was causing part of that pain in my face, I'd of demanded it, but I am just starting to see that maybe that's why. He did say a problem in your neck could cause facial pain but didn't mention if your back could. Hopefully, your doc won't be so mean! Whether you pulled/strained/or injured your muscle, it's probably not going to get any better unless you see your doctor.

Old 06-05-2009, 01:07 PM   #5
    rosebuddy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

do you have trigger points/chronic myofascial pain? Your symptoms sound a lot like what i had.

Contrary to popular belief, fibromyalgia is a central nervous system disorder. Pain signals that shouldn't be firing. so a lot of the pain we have is just unexplainable. trigger points are knots in muscles about the size of a pea or bigger. Do you think that could be the lymph node?

Old 06-05-2009, 06:10 PM   #6
    neveragain444
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

I have been diagnosed with fibromyalgia & then myofascial pain by a neurologist. I don't know if I have trigger points. When a rhematologist tested it, he said it wasn't Fibromyalgia (I failed the trigger point test), he said I was in the early stages of Lupus. Well I don't think any of them have a clue what they are talking about. I have also been diagnosed with CFS (the begin with). And I am not sure if you are supposed to have both CFS & Fibromyalgia both. I think it's either one or the other.

I was told there's no way there's a lymph node there in my shoulder where it's hurting. But it feels hard like one, just extremely bigger. And someone told me they think it just feels like a muscle knotting up, but they definetly felt the knot. I really didn't know muscles would knot up like that.

I guess it could be a lymph node depending upon the location of where the knots are. I've heard about people who have to get these things removed, because they become so painful.

I have symptoms of a nerve disorder so I could believe fibromyalgia is a central nervous system disease. Wouldn't shock me none.

Old 06-06-2009, 02:12 PM   #7
    rosebuddy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

tender points are not the same is trigger points. There are 18 or so possible tender points that are painful when a rheumy does a tender point exam. I only had 11.

a trigger point is a knot in the muscle that is usually about the size of a pea. the muscle that it is in is contracted and won't release with out a trp release by physical therapy--rubbing it out or by injection into the trp until the muscle spasms and then releases. I had chains of trps from my neck to my feet. I still have latent ones. they can entrap nerves which is very painful or cause weird numbness, tingling, etc.

you can have fibro w/o having cmp, and you can have cmp and not have fibro.

Old 06-07-2009, 08:11 AM   #8
    PAinMA
    (female)

PAinMA HB User

It sounds like a muscle, honestly. Lymph nodes rarely get big and painful in just one location unless you have a wound of some sort in an area drained by that node. I'd think if one of your supraclavicular nodes is swollen then you'd have other symptoms.

Also, lymph nodes, when inflammed, don't cause tightening. It's just tenderness over the actual area.

So, when you touch the knot, does it feel really tender, as in "Ouch, I can't stand to touch that" or does it feel sort of good-painful, like when you have a sore back and someone massages it?

Old 06-11-2009, 08:29 AM   #9
    neveragain444
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

I think it's just a muscle too and the pain would be described as ouch, there's nothing good feeling about it. It's okay now though, it has stopped hurting.

My fibromyalgia is diagnosed based upon the symptoms I have, not an exam of trigger or tender points. The reason he diagnosed that is because he didn't know what else could be wrong. Which I am okay with that now, it doesn't matter to me what they want to call it. I have alot of tender points, and the only trigger point I know of is on my shoulder. And the tender points are in specific locations, which makes me wonder if it is myofacial pain instead, because Fibromyalgia just hits anywhere, and I hurt in specific places.

Closed Thread