It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board

• Anyone drink to relieve pain ?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-16-2009, 12:13 PM   #1
    jisduit
    (female)

jisduit HB User
    Anyone drink to relieve pain ?

The doctor has me on morphine and I hate taking pills. I tend to have a few gin and tonics and it helps more with the pain. My Rhummy doesnt seem to have problems with it but my psy sure does.

Just wondering if any of you have found that having a few drinks helps.
    Meds: Morphine, Ambien, Klonopin, Elavil, Omeprazole, Vit D

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-17-2009, 01:18 AM   #2
    fibrostuff
    Veteran
    (female)

fibrostuff HB User
    Re: Anyone drink to relieve pain ?

Sure. But sometimes it can make me feel worse, depending on what and how much. Are you drinking and taking meds?

Old 06-17-2009, 03:00 AM   #3
    sey
    Inactive

sey HB Usersey HB User

Wish l could tolerate alcohol these days!!! x

Old 06-17-2009, 06:22 AM   #4
    bluelakelady
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

bluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB User

alcohol causes pain in my body. two sips and i feel fibro rear her head and say, oh goodie, she's feeding me. so i guess it is a personal choice or a body choice depending on who has the loudest voice. for me, my body says no and i listen.
    i am a lightweight. even when i was healthy one glass of wine would give me the giggles for about 20 minutes and then i would fall to sleep no matter where i was and wake with a headache and muscle pain. now 2 sips does that.
    alcohol does increase the symptoms of depression. both alcohol and morphine need the liver to leave the body.
    in the end tho it is up to you to decide what is best for your body, your life.
    peace,
    bluelakelady

Old 06-17-2009, 06:32 AM   #5
    whitetigress53
    (female)

whitetigress53 HB User

I am able to still drink a couple of beers now and then, but if I try to drink ANY mixed drinks, I don't move the next day. It causes me severe pain, and just isn't worth it.

I didn't drink much before, but I liked to have a drink now and then. Not any more.

It also messes up my sleep really really bad, which makes the fibro worse on top of it.

Old 06-17-2009, 08:01 AM   #6
    New To CP
    (female)

New To CP HB User

Jsiduit - Hi there. I read your post and am a little concerned with what you have said. Many FMS patients have a drink here and there in a social setting, but what you've described is self-medicating and can lead to true mental addiction (rather than phsyical dependency). I can see why your psy has problems with you drinking 'for the pain' especially when you are taking at least 3 meds that are specifically contraindicated with alcohol (morhpine and Klonopin both are respiratory depressants). The morphine alone could have serious and fatal side effects when combined with alcohol, let alone really stressing out your liver by combining the two.

I don't mean to come across as being hard, but it's just a scary thing. I am very sorry that you are not being relieved with your current med regime for pain. Maybe you can talk to your doctor about finding some other type of meds that would help with the pain as well that is safe to be combined with your other meds and maybe you would no longer drink with your meds. I wish you the best of luck in finding a solution and hope you keep us posted.

New to CP

-An eye for and eye leaves the whole world blind.

Old 06-17-2009, 11:40 AM   #7
    BeHappy2
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

BeHappy2 HB UserBeHappy2 HB UserBeHappy2 HB UserBeHappy2 HB User

Alcohol, absolutely NOT for me.

I take glucosamine and vitamins to lubricate my joints, the VERY Never thing would be to drink alcohol to dry them up more.

I would find a swim in a pool to help relieve my pain definately not alcohol.

Most meds state on the prescription bottles do Not drink Alcohol when taking such medication. A person may be looking for more complications if doing so

BeHappy2

Old 06-21-2009, 02:43 AM   #8
    fpain
    (female)

fpain HB User

hi have you tried Tramacet ? from your gp. i find they really help me with my pain,it never goes away completely but it means i can function,doing a pretty physical job !!
    It's worth a go !
    Good luck

Old 06-23-2009, 09:38 PM   #9
    ebrena
    Veteran
    (female)

ebrena HB Userebrena HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jisduit View Post
    The doctor has me on morphine and I hate taking pills. I tend to have a few gin and tonics and it helps more with the pain. My Rhummy doesnt seem to have problems with it but my psy sure does.

Just wondering if any of you have found that having a few drinks helps.
    Hi jisduit I haven't been able to drink in years because I would hurt more for it and then when my blood sugar issue came up on top of the body aches it wasn't a tough decision to not drink. Also I too have acid reflux and it didn't like drinks either.

Old 06-25-2009, 01:28 PM   #10
    Pammyann
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Pammyann HB UserPammyann HB UserPammyann HB UserPammyann HB UserPammyann HB UserPammyann HB UserPammyann HB UserPammyann HB User

I have a glass of red wine and it helps. Red wine also is a great antioxidant which is healthy too. I just make sure I keep it to a glass or two, no more.

Closed Thread