It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board

• just had appt with ssdi doc

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-19-2009, 01:32 PM   #16
    byoung6
    (female)

byoung6 HB Userbyoung6 HB Userbyoung6 HB Userbyoung6 HB User
    Re: just had appt with ssdi doc

I went with a disability advocate private company, best thing I could have done since there was no way I could have filled out the paperwork myself, just to much. I got approved 3 months after applying, had many issues not just fibro. Best decision I could have made, well worth the fees, they held my hand every step of the way, which I needed. I was prepared to wait forever and be denied at first, just didn't happen. Their screening of applicants helps assure the ssa that the applicant has case. I would whole-heartedly recommend representation from my experience.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-22-2009, 01:08 PM   #17
    pixiepoodle
    Veteran
    (female)

pixiepoodle HB User

I have already had my appt. w/ Social Security's dr. and shrink and both were the biggest joke. The medical dr. would not let me talk except when he asked me a direct question and then if I tried to get real descriptive, he cut me off. He then gave me what seemed like a DWI test on the side of the road by walking back and forth across the room on my tip toes and holding my arms out in front of me and on the side of me. The only thing I think that impressed him was all the bottles of my meds for my various health issues.

As for the shrink, when I got there, it wasn't a doctors office, but a room with a desk and 2 chairs that was rented in an office bldg. I had an 8:30 am appt., but no one showed up until 8:45 am. It turned out not to be the doctor, but some assistant who had a few pages with questions she asked me and wrote my replies on.

Both exams were definitely not done for my benefit, but that of Soc. Sec. I was denied twice and I'm not waiting to get my hearing date to appear before a judge.

One thing that I did recently to help my case since none of my drs. really understand what my physical limits are, is get a Functional Capacity Evaluation done for a cost of $500 to me. I know its alot of money to pay out of pocket, but it so well worth every penny because as I said my dr. have no idea what it is really like for me to hold down a job, my pain mgmt. just wanted to know what my pain level was on a scale of 1 to 10. My primary care dr. who prescribes my 2 antidepressants for my depression would not fill out a form sent by my atty asking him to give a detailed description of my condition. Once I faxed him a copy of my Functional Capacity test, his office even phoned me to let me know he was going to fill that form out and return it. I went to a shrink back in Feb. to was strictly to get an official diagnosis of OCD (since Soc. Sec. is so darn picky) and to also get diagnosed with ADD. I didn't realize I ADD had until my best friend told me she thought I had it, so when I looked it up on the internet, it was like reading the story of my life or, basically why I had issues getting along with people at work which is one of several reasons why my company let me go. Anyway, long story short, the shrink I chose is a moron who screwed up my mail-in prescriptions by writing them out for 30 days instead of 90 days. When I left him a voice mail explaining what happened, he called me back and chewed me out so bad, I was crying and got very depressed and thought I was a horrible person. Two mos. later, I am now getting duplicate 90 days prescriptions for those 3 meds and the ins. co. said he recently called in the scripts all over again. This nut job has refused to fill out the form about my depression, OCD and ADD and how that affected me at work.

I know that you can get disability benefits for having OCD or ADD, but I don't know if just my remarks will help since the shrink isn't providing any backup for me. Its just another good reason why the Functional Capacity test is so cruical because it backs up how Fibro limits me physically. If anyone is interested in getting the evaluation, physical therapists perform them (but not all, so you need to ask when you call) or ask your primary care dr. for a reference to one (that's what I did). The test is 4 hrs. long and I decided not take any oral meds before the test since I do have a pain pump in my stomach and I knew I would need breakthru pain meds afterward. You have to fill out paperwork about your physical problems and rate your pain level at that particular time before starting the test. Some of the things you will have to do is touch your toes from a standing position; while sitting sitting on the floor, you are asked to reach towards your toes as far as you possibly can (I was only able to reach 3 inches, which is pathethic by the way); hold your arms over your head for 15 mins. and out in front of you for 15 mins.; walk as fast as you can on a treadmill for 15 mins. (I made it for 5 mins. at almost the lowest speed); walk up a flight of stairs to the next floor; and there were many other ways they test your strength to do things. One thing you do not want to do is fake anything because the physical therapist is required to report that and if he does, you just wasted your $500. You really need to be yourself and be consistant. After testing, you fill out a questionnaire and one of the questions asked is how you rate your pain after the test from 1 to 10. It only takes a few days for the results to be typed up, which is about 5 or 6 pgs. and it will have a summary of your limitations written out. One of the things the summary includes is what percentage of the work day are you capable of working. Mine came out that I can only work 1% to 33% depending on my pain level. Also on the results will be mentioned how long you can sit or stand and what kind of pain it causes. I hope by reading this you can see how beneficial this test is for someone with Fibro if you're standing for a judge who doesn't think Fibro is a big deal.

I'm curious if anyone else with Fibro has had this test done for their Soc. Sec. disability case.

Old 08-29-2009, 09:47 AM   #18
    Fibrobugsme
    (female)

Fibrobugsme HB UserFibrobugsme HB User

I am my first SSDI appointment yesterday. I saw a medical doctor and my appoitnment went very well. He could see that I was limited in my abilities to do too many things even though I tried...I couldn't. In the end he told me he was going to recomend me for disability. Both of my doctors had recomended me. My Rheumy told me from the first meeting I couldn't return to work again. The doctor I saw yesterday was in agreement. Next month I have to see a shrink and then I guess I wait to see what happens next. This has been a long process. My lawyer filed my claim 12-22-08 but I think just maybe by the end of the year I might be approved...I hope anyway. So, if you're facing your own SSDI appointments...they don't all go badly. Just be yourself and present your case and hope for the best.
    Take care,
    Sharon

Old 08-31-2009, 05:13 AM   #19
    pixiepoodle
    Veteran
    (female)

pixiepoodle HB User

I noticed a major typo in my last post where I said I'm
    "not" waiting to get a hearing date set before a judge. I meant to say I'm "now" waiting for a hearing date to be set before the judge.

I'm glad that things are going well for you Fibrobugsme and that the Soc. Sec. drs. are on your side.

Since I live in Houston, which is a huge city, I believe there are more people here who are applying for disability and that the employees of Soc. Sec. are so overworked that they stopped caring long ago.

Once after filing online, I wanted to drop off some paperwork to the original case worker handling my case at the local Soc. Sec. office and I was stunned at the length of the line of people that were standing outside because it wrapped around the entire shopping center the office was located in. It looked more like a line of people trying out to be on American Idol. There was no way with Fibro that I could wait in a line that long and I felt sorry for those in line because I'm sure whatever their disabilities were, they would be physically hurting by the time they got to speak to a rep.

Closed Thread