It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board

• Do I have fibro?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-16-2009, 01:54 PM   #1
    leahmw
    (female)

leahmw HB User
    Do I have fibro?

I'm 21 years old, I've been feeling horrible since I was 15. It started out when I got really sick for over a year with some cold-like illness, and then one day my thumb went numb for three days straight and developed into hand and wrist pain and numbness. Initially they tried to label me with carpal tunnel and told me I was on the computer too much, but from then to now it's gotten so weird and progressed to:

-extreme fatigue
    -dizzy, walking into things and falling down easily
    -when getting up and try to walk straight, end up walking to the right and cannot stop myself
    -extreme pains behind the left eye that don't *ever* go away
    -difficulty seeing sometimes
    -a sharp, hot kind of pain on random areas of my skull that feels like something is pushing into my skin and creates a ringing in my ears
    -"popping" sensation (that feeling from a nerve conduction study) in wrists/hands/arms/feet
    -horribly upset stomach, diarrhea after most meals even though I've adjusted my diet
    -pain all over my body, at random (burning and sharp pains)
    -muscle spasms
    -difficulty getting the right words to come out
    -incredibly sensitive big toes, can barely touch them
    -random numbness (usually in hands, but also observed in feet, arms and face)
    -I feel like things are crawling all over me
    -have occasionally observed something that I think is Raynaud's, hands turned strange colours
    -my whole body (most notably hands and face because it's easy to see) swells up, and it goes up and down throughout the day

Like some other people on this forum have described, I also have the "dropsies" and if I don't actually concentrate on holding an item I will let go and not even notice until I hear it hit the ground.

The pain comes in "attacks". Sometimes just for 20 seconds, sometimes 5 minutes, sometimes for hours or days.

My doctor thought I had MS, but the MRI of my brain and spinal cord said everything was normal. I experience neuropathy even though my nerve conduction study result (done four times) is almost totally normal, but an MRI of one of my wrists back in the day described "visible abnormalities" and "thickening of the nerves"... that didn't match up with the nerve conduction study, and the doctors had no idea what to think of that. My blood tests always show inflammation (because I'm totally swollen up), but no one can figure out a cause for the inflammation. I don't have diabetes, no autoimmune diseases they could think of, no thyroid problems, no vitamin deficiencies, don't have Crohn's, etc.

When I started taking anti-inflammatories to deal with my whole-body swelling, the pain started getting so much worse, like the inflammation was shielding me from something.

Family history of autoimmune disease (aunt has Sjorengen's among other things), mother was diagnosed with fibro because they don't know what else to do, has Raynaud's, Crohn's. Lots of Raynaud's in the family too.

At this point, I'm just so sick of being given the runaround! It's been over 5 years... the rheumatologist said it was a neurological problem, the neurologist said it had nothing to do with him and sent me back to the rheumatologist. I saw a different rheumatologist recently who just said "fibro" and didn't even try to look into anything else... he saw me for 10 minutes.

Should I just accept the diagnosis? And what on earth do I do? It's affecting my attendance at work and if I miss too much more I'm actually going to get in trouble, even though there's nothing I can do about it. I'm a single 21 year old woman, I don't have someone to support me financially while I try to get through this. I already had to abandon university because I couldn't make it to enough classes.

Looking for some answers,
    leahmw

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-16-2009, 07:46 PM   #2
    BeHappy2
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

BeHappy2 HB UserBeHappy2 HB UserBeHappy2 HB UserBeHappy2 HB User
    Re: Do I have fibro?

Oh my, you seem so young to be having all these symptoms you have listed.

You are asking do you have Fibro and i do believe a Physician needs to be the one to diagnose you.

Whenever you do see your next doctor it would be best to write down all of your symptoms and give the list to your doctor. Also let the doctors know all the medications that are prescribed to you and any supplements you do take.

I wish you the best and hope you begin feeling better soon

Be Well
    BeHappy2

Old 07-17-2009, 06:51 AM   #3
    BelleoftheSouth
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

BelleoftheSouth HB UserBelleoftheSouth HB UserBelleoftheSouth HB UserBelleoftheSouth HB UserBelleoftheSouth HB UserBelleoftheSouth HB UserBelleoftheSouth HB User

oops...dbl post... HI All

~Belle~

Last edited by BelleoftheSouth; 07-17-2009 at 06:56 AM.

Old 07-17-2009, 06:54 AM   #4
    BelleoftheSouth
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

BelleoftheSouth HB UserBelleoftheSouth HB UserBelleoftheSouth HB UserBelleoftheSouth HB UserBelleoftheSouth HB UserBelleoftheSouth HB UserBelleoftheSouth HB User

What BH2 said...you need to see a Doctor we can't tell you what is wrong and if you're not satisfied with him/her then see another one...Patients fire their Doctor's all the time..

Good Luck and (((gentle hugs for you)))

~Belle~

Closed Thread