It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board

• anyone see the new commerical for Lyrica?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-18-2009, 07:14 PM   #1
    SnowBunny89
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SnowBunny89 HB UserSnowBunny89 HB UserSnowBunny89 HB UserSnowBunny89 HB UserSnowBunny89 HB User
    anyone see the new commerical for Lyrica?

I hope this is ok to post. But has anyone seen the new commercial for Lyrica? the woman working at a bakery? the reason we have muscle pain is because we have over active nerves what is that?

I love how she all works at the bakery like everything is all perfect.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-18-2009, 09:59 PM   #2
    applecollector
    (female)

applecollector HB User
    Re: anyone see the new commerical for Lyrica?

they are finding firbro is related to central nervous system

I just love those and the one's on depression---take this pill and all is right with the world

Old 07-19-2009, 05:32 AM   #3
    RestyGirl
    (female)

RestyGirl HB User

Ive seen it and I think it's a dumb down for those of us who suffer from Fibro. Wouldnt it be fantatublous if ALL it took was a little white pill to make us feel better....to make all the fibro doo-dahs just float away!?!?!?!

I tried lyrica. I soooooo wanted it to work I tried it two different times just to be sure I was giving it due justice and ya know what? I couldnt do it. I do think it helped with some pain....but the side effects were what I couldnt deal with. In two weeks I gained almost 20 pounds....I felt bloated and sore.....I slept nary a wink.....I had such blurry vision I couldnt see to work...I was excessively tired but couldnt sleep. I wanted to doze.....even at work.

The commercial should be pulled

Old 07-19-2009, 05:34 AM   #4
    BelleoftheSouth
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

BelleoftheSouth HB UserBelleoftheSouth HB UserBelleoftheSouth HB UserBelleoftheSouth HB UserBelleoftheSouth HB UserBelleoftheSouth HB UserBelleoftheSouth HB User

I cringe when I see that commercial...we are not the same...what works for the bakery woman(actor) doesn't work for me...I can't take Lyrica so it's not all sunshine and rainbows which this ad seems to be saying...

Old 07-19-2009, 06:12 AM   #5
    dolejaly
    Veteran
    (female)

dolejaly HB User

I to have chuckled at the commercial...I am a baker and do or I shall say use to do a lot of baking decorating and such and I haven't found a magic little pill yet that allows me to finish some of my jobs....Lyrica as another poster mentioned has such side effects that the actual fibro feels better than the side effects, (lol),,not really, but the pill didn't work for me either, but I have heard some that says it really works....Another issue besides the central nervous system that fibro plays part in, is if you already have medical issues that the fibro makes your symptoms worse.

Old 07-19-2009, 07:48 AM   #6
    Glojer
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Glojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB User

Oh the commercials. At least they are getting better, that first one with the lady and her art work was terrible and the one where she is meeting her husband for lunch and she looks so thin and put together. At least the farm lady and the baker look more like women and not models or actors. The content of the commercial is getting better as well. Although the idea is if you take the magic little pill you will feel wonderful. I haven't tried the medicine, but just hearing about the side effects would stop me from doing that.

When science and medicine finally decide what fibro is, what catagory it belongs in, then maybe we will have the right kind of medicine to really help. First they said psychiatric illness, then it was connective tissue disease which would be auto immune and now central nervous system. I am thankful they are at least trying to find an answer.

Peace and pain free days everyone
    Glojer

Old 07-20-2009, 07:21 AM   #7
    bluelakelady
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

bluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB User

well said glojer. in all honesty i mute commercials and look out at my friend redwood tree. needless to say i have missed them all. tried the "magic" pill. horrid side affects.
    i figure it is what it is, till someone finds out what the heck it is!
    peace,
    blue

Old 07-20-2009, 12:37 PM   #8
    Glojer
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Glojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB User

Amen blue, I also either mute the commercials or channel surf or read while they are on. Anytime I catch a new fibro commercial though I have to see it. I hope it brings more awareness.

Glojer

Old 07-20-2009, 12:41 PM   #9
    Fibrobugsme
    (female)

Fibrobugsme HB UserFibrobugsme HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Glojer View Post
    Oh the commercials. At least they are getting better, that first one with the lady and her art work was terrible and the one where she is meeting her husband for lunch and she looks so thin and put together. At least the farm lady and the baker look more like women and not models or actors. The content of the commercial is getting better as well. Although the idea is if you take the magic little pill you will feel wonderful. I haven't tried the medicine, but just hearing about the side effects would stop me from doing that.

When science and medicine finally decide what fibro is, what catagory it belongs in, then maybe we will have the right kind of medicine to really help. First they said psychiatric illness, then it was connective tissue disease which would be auto immune and now central nervous system. I am thankful they are at least trying to find an answer.

Peace and pain free days everyone
    Glojer
    I have tried it. I was on it for 8 months and the worst side effect? I fell 4 times!!! They were bad falls too and I can't take much more of that. Lyrica did help with somethings to some degree. I was usually able to sleep so that wasn't an issue. But the swelling I had in my hands and feet just added to the swelling I had in those areas to start with and made it hurt even worse. I know Fibro doesn't bring about swelling so my Rheumy doesn't think I have swelling. Just the same she's sending me for a bone scan in a few weeks. I think she wants to prove to me once and for all there is nothing wrong other than fibro. Weight gain? Actually I did manage to lose some. You have to really try to lose and not think "well I'm going to gain weight so I'll just eat what I want." I was on 3 different things and it scared the doctor because they were all supposed to make me gain and I was trying hard to lose. I'm fat enough to start with. IF Lyrica helped enough I would have put up with the side effects but it wasn't worth it no way! You've got a good point though. Find out what it is before you attempt to treat it. No one seems to really know.
    Take care,
    Sharon

Old 07-23-2009, 05:28 PM   #10
    Ishla
    (female)

Ishla HB User

I haven't spoken up in a while, but I thought this one deserved an input. I had a horrible experience with Lyrica, but I would still recomend it for fibro because it seems to be helping some people quit a bit, though some of us can't handle it. The ads always make their "stop taking and see the doctor" disclaimers that tell a little, but never enough about adverse side effects in someone who doesn't need to be taking it. What bothers me so much about those is that the bottom line is profit, and if it weren't required by law for them to make that disclaimer statement, it wouldn't be there at all. I would rather see an ad that talks openly and honestly about how the drug can, and does, cause major side effects. Not an ad that makes a tiny little blurb about it and then touts again how wonderful their product is to disuade you noticing those adverse reaction facts. The woman in the "baking" ad doesn't seem like she suffers any kind of pain at all, and I dont' think that is realistic either. If she was a true sufferer and not an actor... you could tell it. That woman looks healthy, well rested, and comfortable. I haven't seen any evidence yet that Lyrica fixes the entire problem like that at all... it just does what any other drug for fibro does... ease symptoms.. not cure them or completely eliminate them. I just think they should be more open and honest about that fact. I think the ads where the woman is looking in her mirror and it shows horrible brusing around her shoulders is much more realistic about fibro suffering...
    but... I've blustered enough... and yes.. I'm flaring, and irritable, and tired, and so on... and I can't take Lyrica to feel better...

Old 07-24-2009, 02:44 AM   #11
    Beccaboo1970
    (female)

Beccaboo1970 HB User

I totally agree. She should be in bed, exhausted looking, trying to avoid her children, and avoid doing any baking at all. HA! She should also be about 15 pounds heavier than that actress. NIce try, Ad people. You make us REAL fibro patients feel very lazy indeed.

Old 08-04-2009, 09:48 AM   #12
    pixiepoodle
    Veteran
    (female)

pixiepoodle HB User

After watching some of the commercials, I don't think any of them help get across to those uneducated about Fibro, just how debilitating and painful it is, especially how intense the pain from a flareup is compared to our normal pain. Plus its so much more than just pain ruining your life, such as Fibro fog, fatigue, short term memory issues, etc. The commericals should be made using people who actually have Fibro, not actors. They definately make it look like Fibro is not a big deal.

I have not personally tried Lyrica because I spend enough on meds for all of my health issues and I know from experience like many of you that what works for one person, may not work for everyone else.

As for what causes Fibro, I have read many research articles and one of the things that researchers discovered during a clinical trial where samples of spinal fluid were taken from the same no. of people with Fibro, as those without Fibro, and it was discovered that people with Fibro have 5 times more Substance P in their spinal fluid. Substance P is a chemical everyone has in their spinal fluid which transmits the message to the brain that you are experiencing pain. Since people with Fibro have so much more Substance P than a normal person, it helps explain why we hurt so much (like my back being in a constant muscle spasm for no reason).

Now the question that needs an answer is what causes us to produce more and how to stop it. Plus there are probably more reasons we get Fibro than that, but I hope the researchers continue to study Substance P.

Best wishes for a pain free day to everyone.

Last edited by pixiepoodle; 08-04-2009 at 09:54 AM. Reason: Needed better wording

Old 08-05-2009, 11:00 AM   #13
    Jenetti
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Jenetti HB User

i think the best commercial for me so far, was the one where the lady looked fine until she took her clothes off and sat in front of her mirror. It looked like her arms, neck, chest and back were bruised up and her face showed like she was suffering. every other commercial, to me is missing the point totally. that commercial has stayed with me for a long time.

Old 08-05-2009, 03:35 PM   #14
    pixiepoodle
    Veteran
    (female)

pixiepoodle HB User

Jenetti,

I agree 100% with you re: that commercial since it clearly shows much of the woman's body is in pain. However, I have only seen that one twice, whereas I see the "happy" Fibro commericals frequently and cringe because I'm sure when my co-workers see it, they think I was faking how much pain I was in and used it as my excuse as to why I seldom felt like talking and wanted to keep to myself.

People who do not suffer from chronic pain or have a loved one who has chronic pain, have no idea what life is like living in pain on a daily basis. So I've told them it would be like if they had a terrible headache every day that never went away even though you take medicine for it, because the medicine barely scrapes the "tip of the iceberg". I can see the immediate reconigition and understanding on their face to what I just told them, but just as fast, the look is gone. If the next time they ask you how you're doing and you tell them just how bad your pain level is, you can see they're sorry they asked. You learn pretty quickly to say you're doing fine because, other than your closest best friend(s) and loved ones, no one want to really hear how much pain you're in - and even then, you have to keep it to a minimum.

Old 08-08-2009, 07:03 AM   #15
    Glojer
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Now you all have me curious, I have never seen the commercial where the lady looks in the mirror and has the bruises on her neck and back and talks about fibro. Oh my the drugs companies couldn't let that commercial happen, they need you to see healthy well beautiful people who are like that because they took their drug.

Hey, any drug companies out there monitoring our comments......how about a commercial that shows the before and after. Show someone who realistically has fibro and how their life is and then show them after they take the drugs and how much better it is. Like the depression commercials (only make them a little better) that show the before and after.

Glojer

Closed Thread