It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board

• How helpful is narcotic pain medication on your FM symptoms

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-16-2010, 09:37 AM   #61
    biogirl71
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

biogirl71 HB Userbiogirl71 HB Userbiogirl71 HB Userbiogirl71 HB Userbiogirl71 HB Userbiogirl71 HB Userbiogirl71 HB Userbiogirl71 HB Userbiogirl71 HB Userbiogirl71 HB Userbiogirl71 HB User
    Re: How helpful is narcotic pain medication on your FM symptoms

I agree with cherdox57, your Dr. stinks. Hyperalgesia is definately a problem with opiates, but not everyone develops it. Good article on Medscape, just search for opiates and hyperalgesia. After experiencing this type of pain first hand, I am definately all for whatever helps!! I is a shame that you are getting the run around like this. As if chronic pain is not enough to deal with is not enough.....good luck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-17-2010, 05:46 AM   #62
    cherdox57
    (female)

cherdox57 HB Usercherdox57 HB Usercherdox57 HB User

OK so I got an Epidural yesterday which I have gotten so many times in the past. The pain was excruciating that after the shot I was lying flat down on the table. Never had this reaction before and I think due to the trauma of the withdrawals the past 7 weeks may be the cause of this. The doctor said get up and I could not move my right leg for the hip down to my leg hurt like H-ll. The had to literally lift me off the table and put me in a wheelchair. My father drove me to the doc to so they wheeled me down to the car still in such bad pain. I live alone with my wonderful 3 dachshund.

The whole night I had more pain than I could imagine. I am so tired of this. I took my meds to go to sleep. The Lyrica, a xanax, muscle relaxer, L-Tryptophan. and a Benadryl. That knocks me out so I can sleep thru the night. When I awoke at 7am I took my dose of 1mg of Suboxone which is approximately equivalent to 40mg of morphine and the half life at 72hrs I have maybe 70mg of morphine. The pain from the shot has subsided but I am still very sore. I can also feel the Fibro even thru this amount of Subs. It is not the best of opiates and by evening the pain intensifies.

I also am still getting headaches from the Lyrica so I now have to call this doc today and he has to do something to control my pain. I know I had to go thru this Treatment for the Hyperalgesia for when I started the Suboxone the pain I was feeling (nerve pain in my left side, not feeling my feet, hands blowing up and throbbing, pain in my mouth) all disappeared. But now I am left with my true pain which is what the doctor wanted to find out once at the lowest levels of Subonxone. I would rather stay on Suboxone if they cannot control my pain for I can function without being Numb and have clarity of mind. I don't think the doctor will want this but to me I have to have QUALITY OF LIFE.

And for the first time I felt even going thru the withdrawals to get to this point I was not bedridden, Had so much energy and wanted to LIVE AGAIN. What is wrong with that. No one in my family understands what I have been thru or going thru. I did this for my Grandson Trevor who will be arriving in November. Now I am not sure what is going to happen. I have the Baby Shower on Sunday and I want to be well to go there. WHY CANT THESE DOCTORS UNDERSTAND. I hope this one does. I think he cares. I see a therapist in his office had to 2 times to go thru the treatment , I feel I now need to see her again.

Sorry this was so long and thank you for reading. But once weaned off what do they do about your TRUE PAIN ISSUES. I want to look into all MY OPTIONS and DO NOT want to go on opiates again. I saw what they did to me and what I lost in my life DUE TO THEM.

Cherdox

Last edited by moderator2; 09-17-2010 at 09:35 AM. Reason: please do not post websites except as described in the Posting Policy

Old 09-18-2010, 09:12 PM   #63
    Zoey1977
    (female)

Zoey1977 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by cherdox57 View Post
    I know exactly how you feel. I have had fibro for 10 years. I have been on pain meds for same 10 years but have changed what I use during those years. Now on Oxycotin together with morphine sulfate. Of course your body gets use to the meds and you have to increase. I decided to decrease my pain meds in half over a 3 month period because I think they were making the pain even worse. So I did this during a period when I was not in a flair. Went thru a little withdrawal but now I think the pain meds are working better. I do not know what I would do without the pain meds. They definitely help especially the morning. I was on Cymbalta but that did nothing for the pain. I used it for depression. Be careful when you decide to ever go off of it. I had the worst withdrawals. I cant beleive the withdraw symptoms. I was going out of my mind. It took 3 month finally not do have any symptoms. I got this zapping in my head that was excrutiating.
    Lyrica never worked for me. I would look for a PM doctor who is willing to work with you. I found mine 8 years ago and he is wonderful. He believes in my pain and helps me anyway he can. I also have spinal stenosis and he gives me injections in my back that are extemely helpful.He actually is a Physiatrist. Physical and Pain Management doctor.
    My husband left me 4 1/2 years ago because of this illness. I own a business with him and at least I dont have to work full time or I work in the house.I could not work a full time or part time job. I was not on the books before and started when he left me so if I needed to go on disability I would be able to if they would accept this as a disability. He left because I could not satisfy him sexually. I am starting to date again and really afraid if I find someone what will happen. Well good luck and glad you have support of your wife
    Cheryl
    Cheryl, I so understand, my husband and I divorced because of my pain and his main complaint was sexual, as well as my inability to enjoy the active lifestyle we had before my injury/fibro. Dating is difficult for me and I find that I push men away because I am afraid they will hurt me in the way my ex did (I still love him and it has been 4 years) I pray that you allow yourself to be loved. We may have problems, but we are still women who deserve to love and be loved...Regardless of sex. There will be a man out there for you (and for me as well). Hugs (you are not alone)
    Zoey.

Old 09-19-2010, 05:42 AM   #64
    biogirl71
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

biogirl71 HB Userbiogirl71 HB Userbiogirl71 HB Userbiogirl71 HB Userbiogirl71 HB Userbiogirl71 HB Userbiogirl71 HB Userbiogirl71 HB Userbiogirl71 HB Userbiogirl71 HB Userbiogirl71 HB User

Girls, I am having the same problem with my marriage. I love my husband with all of my heart. We are best friends and lovers. That has always been a wonderful part of our marriage. However, I hurt all over and am in no mood for sex any more. Has nothing to do with him, but everything to do with the pain and fatigue. I usually go ahead because I love him. And I enjoy the bonding part. And, occasionally, if I am on the right pain level, I can enjoy it too. But, usually it HURTS. And he is trying to be understanding, but the hormones just take over.....sigh..... MEN! I have we all go through this, but I am glad for a common ground with someone. Good therapy for us all.

cherdox57, I truely hope you find the right thing for your pain. It is so hard to find the right combo of meds and have your quality of life. I am hopig to eventually get off of the Lortab. That is why I am not on a longer acting stronger med. ~~hugs~~

Zoey1977, I am sorry you had to go through that, too. xoxo

Old 09-19-2010, 05:26 PM   #65
    Zoey1977
    (female)

Zoey1977 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by biogirl71 View Post
    Girls, I am having the same problem with my marriage. I love my husband with all of my heart. We are best friends and lovers. That has always been a wonderful part of our marriage. However, I hurt all over and am in no mood for sex any more. Has nothing to do with him, but everything to do with the pain and fatigue. I usually go ahead because I love him. And I enjoy the bonding part. And, occasionally, if I am on the right pain level, I can enjoy it too. But, usually it HURTS. And he is trying to be understanding, but the hormones just take over.....sigh..... MEN! I have we all go through this, but I am glad for a common ground with someone. Good therapy for us all.

cherdox57, I truely hope you find the right thing for your pain. It is so hard to find the right combo of meds and have your quality of life. I am hopig to eventually get off of the Lortab. That is why I am not on a longer acting stronger med. ~~hugs~~

Zoey1977, I am sorry you had to go through that, too. xoxo
    Thank you Biogirl, it is good to know that I am not alone in this struggle. I wish you the best! I know how much sex can hurt, and the "mood" being completely gone. It is very scary and I really do not know how to combat the issue, perhaps your doctor can perscribe you something, but even with that, I know the pain just gets in the way of enjoyment. I hope you two can find a common ground. It is wonderful that he tries to be understanding and supportive as no one with chronic pain can understand what it is like unless, they are dealing with it themselves. My heart is with you for the physical and emotional toll this takes on all of us who have to experience this.
    Hugs,
    Zoey.

Old 09-19-2010, 05:35 PM   #66
    Zoey1977
    (female)

Zoey1977 HB User

"I would be able to if they would accept this as a disability." as Cheryl says, it is horrible that Fibro is not recognized as a disability, and when it is...it is considered psychological...I am going to guess it all comes down to the almighty dollar. I feel like a lab rat sometimes with all the different meds they try to put me on. I could rant about this for an hour, but even here in Canada and having a free medical system, very few doctors/companies/people in general recognize this condition.

Hugs to all (gentle hugs)
    Zoey.

Old 09-19-2010, 11:11 PM   #67
    F150STX
    (male)

F150STX HB UserF150STX HB UserF150STX HB UserF150STX HB UserF150STX HB UserF150STX HB User

To Quote: "And he is trying to be understanding, but the hormones just take over.....sigh..... MEN!"

Ok, as a male with Fibro I can understand both sides (sexual needs / desires). I am 28 and have been married to my wife as of 9/13 for seven years. Since this disease has come upon me (over the past 2 years, 2010 being the worse) our sex life has slowed. I will admit that pain does not allow you to enjoy what is meant to be special and enjoyable by two people who love eachother. Most times I have to concentrate not to let my pain show so she does not feel bad and can enjoy it. I know it sounds bad, but when I know she drops "those hints" I choose to hurt worse throughout the day so I can save some breakthrough medication so I can have a little extra so I can bare the bedroom olympics.

What sucks is because of my pain level if I am not able to .. um .. "go" .. that I've had to deal with my wife worring that it's her and then I have to stress to her that it's my pain .. blah blah blah .. BUT what we have done is: When I hurt too much to "do the deed" we do "other" things to make sure the each party is satisfied. We both have the firm belief that if the other party is not satisfied then by human nature they will seek that type of satisfaction outside the confines of marriage. Is it right .. No, but I feel it is my husbandry duty to make every effort to make sure my wife does not need to look else where. Do I pay for it? Yes, I'll have an increased pain level for at least 2-3 days, but it's worth it. ***Please note this is me and I know others have fibro worse and are unable to more than what they can. I am not judging or trying to condemn anyone and I hope my post does not offend anyone, because it was not my intent.***

(REGARDING OLDER POSTS): I know what you mean about docs not keeping you meds at a level where you can enjoy life. I presently am looking for another pm doc for that same reason. I kept telling him the amount was not strong enough but he never listened. Then w/o notice he reduced my meds. Luckily my pcp has taken care of my pain meds until I can find the right pm doc. I just want to find a doc that listens and understands without judgement like my pcp has. All I have to say is IF my pain was minimal then the issues I deal with (depression, self-doubt, ect) would be minimal.

I hope and pray that one day we can wake up and not feel an over-whelming aching / burning pain that causes us to wake up 30 - 60 min early so we can take our meds just so we can TRY to get out of bed and start the day. This year I have had more bad days than good and pray for all of us that we all can feel better like we once did.

Good night and God bless!

Old 09-20-2010, 02:33 AM   #68
    biogirl71
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

F150STX, I apologize for that sexist remark. I was just explaining to my husband how different men and women are. He replied that he has know some really "hormonal" women in the past too LOL. (I deserved that one) I am sure this pain is hard on a you, as well. We are all in this together, male or female. You know, what stinks is the stupid pain meds can interfere with certain things as well. Sex is a very important part of marriage and I miss the pleasurable part but still enjoy the bonding. AND, as you pointed out earlier, I don't want my husband to think that it is him...... Anyway, please forgive the stupid remark on my part...(sigh....WOMEN!!) Take care and hang in there. Many prayers for you finding the right doctor.

Last edited by biogirl71; 09-20-2010 at 02:35 AM.

Old 09-20-2010, 05:01 AM   #69
    cherdox57
    (female)

cherdox57 HB Usercherdox57 HB Usercherdox57 HB User

Yes FX150 as a male there is no difference whether male or female on how Fibro hits us. This illness is nondiscriminatory.The medical community must realize this as a fact. I feel your pain for what your going thru and I pray your wife continues with her abundant support for you, because of your love for her. Women tend to have more acceptance on this matter than men. My husband went elsewhere and my 33 year marriage broke up because of this.Not only was it the pain but it was the pain meds which caused my personality to change. I can see that now being on the Suboxone. I am not pleased the way I react to the Suboxone. It is a very powerful opiate blocker and I now experiencing not only my Fibro pain and/or the Hyperagesia but can not stabilize at the 1mg dose. I feel withdrawals every afternoon till I go to sleep. Then I have to take a cocktail of sorts(muscle relaxer, xanax, benadryl, Lyrica, Herbal tea for sleep) so I can go to sleep. The Suboxone makes you so wired. As I said from the pain meds I took in the past I developed Hyperalgesia. When I take my morning dose of this drug I feel it is producing pain on my right side(which for the last 8 weeks going thru the withdrawal process my right side was the one always affected). I had a stroke 4 years ago on the left side of my brain which controls your right side of the body. I feel my receptors on the left side are weak which could be the cause of this phenomenon. Maybe even the Suboxone is producing the Hyperalgesia. I AM A MESS. I feel like I am in limbo and no where to go. I hope the doctor has answers for me. I lose either way whether I stay on this stuff or I go off of it. So far the Lyrica has not helped.
    I can't express how upset I am going thru this process of agony these past 8 weeks to find out I am no better and now on a medication which is causing me even more horror than I had before.
    Biogirl and Zoey I understand your plight as well. My wish is to find a caring man to spend the rest of my life with. How do you do that with this illness. Who will want me. I am grateful for my 3 dachshund (one has your name Zoey) who give me unconditional love and don't leave my side when I am sick. They are so sensitive to my needs.
    Gentle Hugs
    Cheryl

Old 09-20-2010, 12:03 PM   #70
    Zoey1977
    (female)

Zoey1977 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by cherdox57 View Post
    Yes FX150 as a male there is no difference whether male or female on how Fibro hits us. This illness is nondiscriminatory.The medical community must realize this as a fact. I feel your pain for what your going thru and I pray your wife continues with her abundant support for you, because of your love for her. Women tend to have more acceptance on this matter than men. My husband went elsewhere and my 33 year marriage broke up because of this.Not only was it the pain but it was the pain meds which caused my personality to change. I can see that now being on the Suboxone. I am not pleased the way I react to the Suboxone. It is a very powerful opiate blocker and I now experiencing not only my Fibro pain and/or the Hyperagesia but can not stabilize at the 1mg dose. I feel withdrawals every afternoon till I go to sleep. Then I have to take a cocktail of sorts(muscle relaxer, xanax, benadryl, Lyrica, Herbal tea for sleep) so I can go to sleep. The Suboxone makes you so wired. As I said from the pain meds I took in the past I developed Hyperalgesia. When I take my morning dose of this drug I feel it is producing pain on my right side(which for the last 8 weeks going thru the withdrawal process my right side was the one always affected). I had a stroke 4 years ago on the left side of my brain which controls your right side of the body. I feel my receptors on the left side are weak which could be the cause of this phenomenon. Maybe even the Suboxone is producing the Hyperalgesia. I AM A MESS. I feel like I am in limbo and no where to go. I hope the doctor has answers for me. I lose either way whether I stay on this stuff or I go off of it. So far the Lyrica has not helped.
    I can't express how upset I am going thru this process of agony these past 8 weeks to find out I am no better and now on a medication which is causing me even more horror than I had before.
    Biogirl and Zoey I understand your plight as well. My wish is to find a caring man to spend the rest of my life with. How do you do that with this illness. Who will want me. I am grateful for my 3 dachshund (one has your name Zoey) who give me unconditional love and don't leave my side when I am sick. They are so sensitive to my needs.
    Gentle Hugs
    Cheryl
    Cheryl, I totally understand, I have been cycling through withdrawl, stability, withdral, stability for over four years. Different meds (although recently my left side has been worse, sometimes I lose the use of parts of it, toes, foot, hand). You are not alone. Zoey, is actually my pup's name as well, she is my constant companion and best friend. She never judges me...I too wonder if I will ever meet a man who can accept me for who I am. One day at a time...

Gentle Hugs,
    Zoey.

Old 09-20-2010, 10:45 PM   #71
    F150STX
    (male)

F150STX HB UserF150STX HB UserF150STX HB UserF150STX HB UserF150STX HB UserF150STX HB User

To all .. I was neither upset nor hurt by the comment so no need to apologize. What is sad is I think I've only seen one other poster that was male and the rest have been female (just on the threads I've read / posted to). This disease does predominantly affect women, but I believe the ratio of 1 to 10 is wrong. I believe either men do not want to go to the doctor and have the mentality (like my dad of I'll live with it) or they are over looked. I technically do not know if I've been officially diagnosed or not. I have a rheumy who says I have all of the symptoms of fibro, but says it'd be good to get a second opinion because she thinks its odd that at my age I should be in this much pain and need the meds I'm on, but on my STD paperwork my primary care physician puts Cervical Disk Disease and Fibromyalgia. So have I been diagnosed or what .. I get two different messages, quite confusing.

It's weird .. How peoples mindsets are different. My dad has had 2 major back surgeries causing him to have 3 discs fused together with a titanium cage in his back. He has told me he lives with his pain level at a 3 on a good day but averages a 5 year-round and all his neurosurgeon prescribes is 800 mg ibuprofen. I've told him he needs to see pain management but all he says is you've gotta learn to live with it. He has never given me any grief about my meds, but I've told him that God created pain meds for a reason so that people can still enjoy the life they've been given. I've asked ONCE why God allowed me to get this, because I've gone to church my entire life and fully believe in Him, His Son, and His Spirit, but right after I asked I realized the answer. I do not have a right to question God, because I was created to please Him and not Him to please me. Regardless of what happens to me I have to look for the good and trust this has happened for a reason to glorify Him. ANYWAY sorry for the sermon.

I will admit I am on strong medication, but I've tried Savella & Cymbalta and Lyrica has been the only med ive noticed any difference. The only thing it does though is help the burning pain I feel between my shoulder blades, in my shoulders, and hips / buttocks / legs. The only thing that has given me any significant relief have been my pain meds and my wife agreed together that we'd rather me have to rely on pain meds than have a non-existent quality of life. I still hurt, but it keeps my pain between a 3-4, unless I have to be active then under a 6.

Sorry for the long post but good night and God bless!!

Old 09-21-2010, 02:21 AM   #72
    biogirl71
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by F150STX View Post
    I will admit I am on strong medication, but I've tried Savella & Cymbalta and Lyrica has been the only med ive noticed any difference. The only thing it does though is help the burning pain I feel between my shoulder blades, in my shoulders, and hips / buttocks / legs. The only thing that has given me any significant relief have been my pain meds and my wife agreed together that we'd rather me have to rely on pain meds than have a non-existent quality of life. I still hurt, but it keeps my pain between a 3-4, unless I have to be active then under a 6.
    Well said.

Last edited by biogirl71; 09-21-2010 at 02:22 AM.

Old 09-21-2010, 05:02 AM   #73
    F150STX
    (male)

Thank you
    **takes bow and graciously leaves the stage without an encore***

Old 10-03-2010, 09:47 PM   #74
    F150STX
    (male)

To all .. I have an appointment to see a new
    pm doc .. He is kinda new so I just pray he isn't afraid to prescribe what needs to be prescribed and not jerk me around ..

Old 10-04-2010, 02:54 AM   #75
    biogirl71
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

F150, I hope and pray he is the right Dr. for you. When is your appointment???

Closed Thread