It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board

• Fibro & stress fractures -does anyone else have them

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-06-2010, 04:33 AM   #1
    dcarbs
    (female)

dcarbs HB User
    Smile Fibro & stress fractures -does anyone else have them

Back in june I had knee surgery which I recovered from quite well. then six weeks later I had incredible pain in the same knee. Result was a stress fracture of my femur. Have done some research & have found they are linked to fibro. I've had a whole lot of blood tests & they are normal, bone scan last year was normal so no osteoporosis. Very painful, added to the fibro pain--ouch. Will be seeing orthoeadic surgeon in a few weeks to make sure nothing else is going on. I would like to hear if anyone else has this complication?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-23-2010, 03:34 AM   #2
    dcarbs
    (female)

dcarbs HB User
    Re: Fibro & stress fractures -does anyone else have them

Just for those who read my post. Turns out my stress fracture not related to my fibro but is a rare complication of having had meniscectomy[cartildge removed] This is very painful as the femur fracture causes pain plus all the tissues of the bone swell and guess what -cause pain. Back on crutches.

Old 10-23-2010, 07:37 AM   #3
    Sunsetnan
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Sunsetnan HB UserSunsetnan HB UserSunsetnan HB UserSunsetnan HB UserSunsetnan HB UserSunsetnan HB UserSunsetnan HB UserSunsetnan HB UserSunsetnan HB User

I am sorry that you are in so much pain. Your post got me wondering about my own situation.

I have Lupus and FMS and mild osteopenia. I have had at least four documented cases of spontaneous rib fractures. The doctors say that the osteopenia is not that bad and couldn't find any reason for the fractures. I have had 6 more episodes with similar pain, but only the four showed up on scans, which leads them to think that I may have re-fractured some of them. Also, could have just been muscle strains, but they were of a similar location and amount of pain.

I have a long history of being on Prednisone, which has been known to cause osteoporosis, once in very high doses for my Lupus. I was taking Actonel to prevent this, but apparently it wasn't working. Had to end up giving myself daily injections of Forteo for two years, and luckily haven't had any fractures since. This even puzzled some very knowledgable experts, and yet you have mentioned that FMS could be a cause.

Where have you found this link of a stress fracture to FMS? I would be interested in reading more about it.
    My best to you in your recovery,

Old 10-23-2010, 07:03 PM   #4
    dcarbs
    (female)

dcarbs HB User

I hadn't found any information --I just had the stress fracture. It was a month later I found out it was related to my surgery I had on my knee. A rare complication of my menisectomy[cartildge removed]. My surgeon had never seen it before & it has just been recognised in the medical field.
    Sorry this doesn't really help you but for me it ruled out alot of nasty diseases it could have been.
    thanks for answering my post

Deb

Old 10-24-2010, 01:12 AM   #5
    biogirl71
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

biogirl71 HB Userbiogirl71 HB Userbiogirl71 HB Userbiogirl71 HB Userbiogirl71 HB Userbiogirl71 HB Userbiogirl71 HB Userbiogirl71 HB Userbiogirl71 HB Userbiogirl71 HB Userbiogirl71 HB User

That sounds really painful! You would think that the fibro pain would be enough. Can anything be done for this?? Hope you get better!

Old 10-24-2010, 03:16 AM   #6
    dcarbs
    (female)

dcarbs HB User

Not that I know of. I have been on crutches & have just recently weened off them. My ortho surgeon said it was OK to go back to work last
    thursday. By Friday I was back in major pain & on my crutches. Over the weekend I have iced & used crutches---waiting to see if I can tolerate work without crutches.
    Deb

Old 10-24-2010, 10:59 AM   #7
    Sunsetnan
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Sunsetnan HB UserSunsetnan HB UserSunsetnan HB UserSunsetnan HB UserSunsetnan HB UserSunsetnan HB UserSunsetnan HB UserSunsetnan HB UserSunsetnan HB User

Oh, I guess I misunderstood your question. I thought you had found some literature linking the two. Oh, well. I guess my rib fractures were a mystery, along with my stroke, and now my lung nodules. If anyone else has anything about this, I'd appreciate any info.

My best in your recovery,

Closed Thread