It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board

• things that increase cortisol levels

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-03-2010, 04:25 AM   #1
    rosebuddy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

rosebuddy HB Userrosebuddy HB Userrosebuddy HB Userrosebuddy HB User
    Lightbulb things that increase cortisol levels

We know that cortisol is a bad thing for people with fibromyalgia and that we have high levels of it in our blood. The more cortisol, the more we flare. I read up on it and found that some causes of elevated cortisol levels are:
    Caffeine
    Sleep deprivation
    Hypoestrogenism and melatonin supplementation increases cortisol levels in postmenopausal women
    Burnout
    Severe trauma or stress events
    Anorexia nervosa
    Commuting

I know that avoiding stress and not over-reacting to stressful situations helps me so much in regards to pain flares. I used to be so high strung. I pick my battles now. And I don't do battle very often.

It is also a symptom of sugar withdrawal and causes anxiety which I am going through right now. I feel like I'm having an anxiety attack all day long and I can't sleep. But this won't last long and I will be on the other side soon. I'm also going to cut caffeine out of my diet and start swimming more as proper nutrition and exercise can help stabilize cortisol release.

Cortisol release is more complicated than this, but simplifying it helps me to do what I can to avoid it as much I can. I hope this helps someone out there who is struggling with pain flares.

Rose

The Following User Says Thank You to rosebuddy For This Useful Post:
    thesweetlife (11-03-2010)
    Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-03-2010, 10:01 AM   #2
    thesweetlife
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

thesweetlife HB Userthesweetlife HB Userthesweetlife HB Userthesweetlife HB Userthesweetlife HB Userthesweetlife HB Userthesweetlife HB Userthesweetlife HB User
    Re: things that increase cortisol levels

HI Rosebuddy, thanks for this - it reinforces what I'd kind of guessed in the most parts and is a really good reminder - I have 1 maybe 2 coffees max per day - I do everything I can not to get stressed and when commuting (which is often) take the train instead of the car - the one bit I wasn't sure I understood was:-
    Hypoestrogenism and melatonin supplementation increases cortisol levels in postmenopausal women - do you have any info on what that means - if not I'll research it - I'm not post menopausal yet but at 48 will be in a few years I'm sure!

Closed Thread