It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board

• Electric blankets for fibromyalgia!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-26-2011, 11:31 AM   #1
    brokenandtired
    (female)

brokenandtired HB User
    Talking Electric blankets for fibromyalgia!

I checked and these are mentioned in a few posts, but to me, this has made a huge difference.
    We bought electric blankets this past winter to turn the thermostats down and save some money on heating. However, as the time I would usually start flaring-up started, I wasn't hurting or sore or stiff nearly as much as I had been expecting.
    The one change I had made was the electric blanket. When I'm wrapped up in it, the muscles are kept warm, and while it's not the ideal "damp heat" like a long soak in the tub is, it really helps especially with stiffness in the morning.
    I've had fibromyalgia for 14 years, diagnosed for 11 years and none of the medications or other treatments I've tried help as much as this simple thing. I'm kicking myself for not having tried sooner, or having made the connection.
    However, not even the "natural cure" sites seem to talk about this that I've seen - maybe because it isn't a source of income?

I don't know what I'll do during the summer, mind you (though even the summer can be pretty chilly up north here), but for fighting the spring weather flip-flops, I've got a new, effective tool.

Have other people had luck with these? Not the heating pads, but the gentle heating electric blankets that can be wrapped all around the body, shoulders downwards.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to brokenandtired For This Useful Post:
    caribear (04-26-2011),pa235 (04-29-2011),quiltedgarden (04-26-2011)
    Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-26-2011, 02:01 PM   #2
    tmrots
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

tmrots HB Usertmrots HB Usertmrots HB Usertmrots HB Usertmrots HB Usertmrots HB Usertmrots HB Usertmrots HB Usertmrots HB Usertmrots HB Usertmrots HB User
    Re: Electric blankets for fibromyalgia!

I have never tried this, but it sure sounds like a wonderful idea. I feel better just thinking about it. Thanks for the tip, next winter, I am getting me one of these!!!!!

Old 04-29-2011, 07:57 AM   #3
    pa235
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

pa235 HB Userpa235 HB Userpa235 HB Userpa235 HB Userpa235 HB User

I have FM since 1982 and never ever thought about a Electric blanket, I am glad you posted this. It is getting too warm for one now but I am going to buy one so I have it for next winter.

Thanks for the idea, Linda

Fibromyalgia
    Myofascal pain syndrome
    Costochondritis
    Arthritis, cervical and thorastic

Old 04-29-2011, 11:29 AM   #4
    bluelakelady
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

bluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB User

welcome to the boards,
    giggle, i have an electric blanket and an electric mattress pad. love them both. only downside is i can feel the lumps from the wires on the mattress pad. i use mine even in summer, just turn up the cooler so i can. also a heating pad for my desk chair so i can sit here and chat with you all. helps my fanny bunches.
    thanks for saying something. i have been using mine for several years. i have a hot tub too. i am a heat junkie! giggle!
    what is the name of yours? sounds easier than what i do. is it a robe type blanket? can i plug it into my car, giggle, have a heated seat pad there too! use it all summer with the a.c. going.
    peace,
    bluelakelady

Old 04-29-2011, 12:12 PM   #5
    pa235
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Gee Blue, sounds like you like to keep that butt warm We have heated car seats and when we go away that we are in the car for over an hour, I turn mine on, it does help with that butt and low back pain also helps with the stiffness getting out of the car.

I just looked at some sale circulars in our paper and the one store has 50% all electric blankets. I am going to buy one.

Wanted to ask you blue, does Tommy still talk to you on the mountain?

huggie buggies, Linda

Fibromyalgia
    Myofascal pain syndrome
    Costochondritis

Old 04-29-2011, 01:49 PM   #6
    bluelakelady
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

bluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB User

yes linda he does. they all do. i love not being alone in that way. go get that blanket. and yea, keeping my fanny warm is #1 priority, giggle.
    peace,
    blue

Old 04-30-2011, 06:08 PM   #7
    Glojer
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Glojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB User

We had an electric blanket years ago. I always like the heat. However now I like a lot of weight on with the covers. Strange, I use extra cover on my side to feel the weight of the warmth. By the way, gave up the electric blanket because it was getting a little old and we had a friend who's family member was burned severely when his blanket caught on fire because of faulty wiring. That was many years ago, and at that time I just couldn't talk myself into another blanket. I know they have to be better made these days. Hope I didn't scare anyone. That warmth surrounding you does sound good.

Glojer

Old 05-01-2011, 06:52 AM   #8
    bluelakelady
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

glojer,
    they have them with auto shut off and sensors that only warm where you are. depends on how much you want to spend. unless you wash/dry it wrong they are much safer now. i can't have weight on me at night. i wake up achy if i do.
    peace,
    blue

Old 05-01-2011, 06:57 AM   #9
    pa235
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

I am the same way Blue, I can't even stand a heavy sweat shirt or coat on. I buy the columbia jackets they are light weight, but warm. The sweatshirts with the decals on hurt my chest. Crazy disease

Linda

Fibromyalgia
    Myofascal pain syndrome
    Costochondritis

Old 05-02-2011, 06:30 AM   #10
    brokenandtired
    (female)

brokenandtired HB User

bluelakelady, mine is just a Sunbeam microplush. Doesn't plug into the car or anything. Family members have the under mattress pad, but it doesn't appeal to me the same way. I sleep alone, and the blanket is queen sized so I could wrap underneath as well, but I think the wires would bother me.

And also, Glojer, ditto on the being much safer now. Mine shuts off at 10 hours no matter what, and at its highest temperature against my bare skin isn't uncomfortably hot.
    The throw-size is what my daughter has, and hers I find gets much, much warmer - but its auto-shut off is at 3 hours.

The issue of the weight of the covers is an interesting one, maybe for some of us, a solid light pressure by a lot of covers helps, for others it hurts. Sometimes, it would be nice to have a condition where the same thing helped everyone!

Last edited by brokenandtired; 05-02-2011 at 06:36 AM.

Old 05-02-2011, 07:27 AM   #11
    pa235
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

That would be great if there was just one answer for every thing we get and have problems with dd, but we are all different, respond different so we need input from different people to find some relief. I never even thought of a electrric blanket. That is what make these boards so great, there is always someone that can relate to our questions and give helpful advice.

Linda

Fibromyalgia
    Myofascal pain syndrome
    Costochondritis

Closed Thread