It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board

• rectocele repair

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-07-2013, 03:42 PM   #1
    debs321
    (female)

debs321 HB User
    rectocele repair

Hi, I really hope someone will read this and be able to help or advise me. I am 5 weeks post surgery tomorrow, (Tuesday) having had a rectocele repair. I was scheduled for a hysterectomy with rectocele repair as I was told I had a prolapse. When I first went to see my doctor I had been having pain, especially during intercourse with my husband and also pain if I even got aroused! I had a hysteroscopy 2 years ago to see what was causing the pain and was told I had a prolapse with a large rectocele. They said I needed a hysterectomy with repair to the rectocele. When I came round after the operation 5 weeks ago I was told that they didn't do the hysterectomy as they said it was being held up by scar tissue. They only repaired the rectocele. I feel all this was for nothing as I am still experiencing sharp stabbing pains in my abdomen area. Do you think it's the scar tissue that is still causing my pain? Even if my husband and I have a cuddle and I get aroused I can still feel the pains!! Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks, Debs.

The following user gives a hug of support to debs321:
    WhistleDixie (10-07-2013)
    Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-07-2013, 05:12 PM   #2
    WhistleDixie
    Inactive
    (female)

WhistleDixie HB UserWhistleDixie HB UserWhistleDixie HB UserWhistleDixie HB UserWhistleDixie HB UserWhistleDixie HB UserWhistleDixie HB UserWhistleDixie HB UserWhistleDixie HB UserWhistleDixie HB UserWhistleDixie HB User
    Re: rectocele repair

I am so sorry for your suffering. I, like you, do not understand why they did not perform the hysterectomy. It seems as though they would remove the "scar tissue holding up the uterus" and remove the uterus during the same procedure. That's only my opinion, for whatever it's worth. Did your surgeon have any theory as to the cause of the scar tissue? I only ask because I had (have) stage 4 endometriosis. Although I had complete removal of uterus and ovaries in 1994, I still suffer extreme pelvic/rectal/vaginal pain. The doctors tell me "it's probably adhesions", but surgery to remove them would only create more adhesions. Endometriosis can cause all of the symptoms you described, including painful intercourse. I hope this helps.

The Following User Says Thank You to WhistleDixie For This Useful Post:
    debs321 (10-08-2013)
    Old 10-08-2013, 04:38 AM   #3
    debs321
    (female)

debs321 HB User

Hi whistledixie, Thanks so much for responding to my query. You have been very helpful. I am sorry you are suffering still with your problems. It's no fun being a female sometimes! I had 2 c. sections the last one 28 years ago so I think maybe the scar tissue is a result of these. However I have often thought about the possibility of endometriosis as you said. I really appreiciate your reply and I will certainly be asking questions when I go for my review in 2 weeks time. God Bless.

The following user gives a hug of support to debs321:
    WhistleDixie (10-08-2013)
    Old 10-08-2013, 11:25 AM   #4
    WhistleDixie
    Inactive
    (female)

WhistleDixie HB UserWhistleDixie HB UserWhistleDixie HB UserWhistleDixie HB UserWhistleDixie HB UserWhistleDixie HB UserWhistleDixie HB UserWhistleDixie HB UserWhistleDixie HB UserWhistleDixie HB UserWhistleDixie HB User

I just realized you're in Ireland. Were you born there or are you an ex-pat? Just curious=)

As for the scar tissue....yes, it could very well be from your C-sections. I still don't understand why they didn't perform the hysterectomy. PLEASE DO ask questions in regard to the possibility of endometriosis when you go in for your follow-up. I would like to hear back from you when you get some answers. I hope this helps=)

Old 10-08-2013, 04:48 PM   #5
    debs321
    (female)

debs321 HB User

Yes I was born in Northern Ireland. Are you originally from here? Thanks for your reply once again. I am annoyed they didn't do the hysterectomy as it would have solved a lot of my problems!! I will let you know how it goes at my review on the 24th. Take care.

Old 10-08-2013, 06:31 PM   #6
    WhistleDixie
    Inactive
    (female)

Please DO let us know how things work out, Debs. I pray that you'll get some answers.

No, I was born and raised in Mississippi...just a "southern" girl. I've traveled around the U.S., but never abroad. I've always wanted to travel oversees, but I will never be able to. Ireland seems so beautiful from afar=)

It's good to talk with you.

Old 10-08-2013, 07:28 PM   #7
    Cher45
    (female)

Cher45 HB User

Hi,

I feel so bad for you and what you are going through. I had a hysterectomy when I was 30 and ever since have had bad lower pelvic pain on top of the scar. Scar tissue can cause many problems and pain especially if your body creates too much. On both of my arms where they take blood draws are so scared the lab or nurses have a heck of a time taking my blood tests. I've had around 14 operations all created too much scar tissue.

Like the others said, they should have atleast removed the scar tissue but maybe didnt due to it might have just grown back worse. What ever the reason they should have told you. It's a shame they didnt do the hysterectomy and clean out the old scar tissue atleast then you'd have some relief. Yes some would form back, I've been told in the past thats why some doctors dont remove scar tissue. They dont know if it comes back weather or not it will be worse then what it was before they took it out. I had my tubes tide in my early 20's and they found endo way back then so god knows how much has spread.

What kind of shape is your uterus in? Did they say? I hope they looked at the whole uterus. My doctor didnt and at first only removed the cysts and "cleaned it up". After 6 months I was still bleeding non stop and had the same pain, she went back in and found a large tumor on the back of the uterus, she then did a complete hysterecomy (ovaries too had small tumors). When I woke up she apologized many times for not "listening" to me the first time. I knew in my gut it was causing my non stop bleeding and other pain. Then like I mentioned I formed too much scar tissue so there was a downside to the surgery also. It's been many years now and the pain is still there and my endo has spread. I'm glad though that I did the hysterectomy and dont have to deal with the other problems I was having.

Getting doctors to listen can be very hard, we know our bodies better then anyone else. We know when something isnt right and our gut is usually right about whats wrong. After spending 3 days in the ICU a few months ago and almost not making it I now take control over my health care. I make sure the doctors listen and if something isnt going right I take control of my health and body. If I get a new doctor and go in for a consult I interview them as much as they do me. I got tired of them being in control when it should be a joint relationship between a doctor and the patient. I use to tip toe around some of mine, not anymore I still respect and listen to them but when a line is crossed or I'm not being "listen" to then I let them know. Yes, it's there speciality but it's our bodies and they are not walking in our shoes.

Sorry for ranting there, it saddens me to know your in pain and you were told one thing but ended up getting something else. I look forward to hearing how your visit goes on the 24th, I hope you get the answers you deserve and whatever is needed to get rid of your pain.

Old 10-08-2013, 09:17 PM   #8
    WhistleDixie
    Inactive
    (female)

Cher,

Our situations seem similar with our endometriosis issues. I would like to talk you more about your treatments for the pain, even after removal of uterus and ovaries, correct?
    I am running out of options and spend at least 1/2 of every month in a fetal position in pain. Have you found anything that relieves even some of your pain? Thanks.

Old 10-09-2013, 05:47 AM   #9
    WoodsWalker
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

WoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB User

Hi, i so get the pain you are in. I also am loaded with scar tissue.
    The likely reason for not going ahead with the hysterectomy is the density of
    The scar tissue. In my case it was so thick and everyplace they did not know
    Where other organs were exactly because they were so covered. They needed to do imaging to find things like my kidney and kidney tubes so they did not damage them. Good luck, i opted out and decided to live with the scar tissue and its pain. Hell, whats
    one more pain to join the party

The following user gives a hug of support to WoodsWalker:
    WhistleDixie (10-09-2013)
    Old 10-09-2013, 07:37 AM   #10
    WhistleDixie
    Inactive
    (female)

Hello WW,

Did endometriosis or previous surgeries/injuries cause your scar tissue? I'm curious because at the time of my hysterectomy w/ovary removal, the lesions of endometriosis and adhesions encompassing those lesions had "encased" every vital organ in my abdominal cavity. That was in 1994. But as I stated in previous post, I still suffer such debilitating belly pain and constipation. I'm sorry to know that you suffer, too, but it's good to talk to you.

Old 10-09-2013, 05:58 PM   #11
    WoodsWalker
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

WoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB User

Hi dixie, back in the late 70s I had a large grapefruit sized abcess that was on 1 ovary and tube that burst and leaked bacteria all over inside me.
    They removed the ovary,tube and abcess and vacuumed the abcess debri from my whole abdominal cavity. Spent a week on IV antibiotics and several more weeks of oral. Like you I'm loaded with scar tissue to the point that other organs can't easily be found.

The constipation, OMG that hurts so bad. Since I don't get any more periods, the scar tissue pain has decreased a little bit..not sure why that is tho.

The following user gives a hug of support to WoodsWalker:
    WhistleDixie (10-10-2013)
    Old 10-09-2013, 07:01 PM   #12
    WhistleDixie
    Inactive
    (female)

Hi WW,

Oh my word, I so understand about the pain and agony of constipation. If you're like me...long suffering with GI issues, you've probably tried everything. Just in case, though I want to share this with you and the others to whom are reading...Magnesium Citrate is a clear liquid @ less than $2 per bottle OTC. A wise and merciful RN once recommended this to me. Just pour the citrus flavored liquid (about 1/3 bottle) over crushed ice and drink whenever you're feeling bloated and stuck. You will get relief within hours with a minimal amount of cramping. The RN brought me 2 bottles of this MC and 5 Dulcolax pills for colonoscopy prep, after an hour of projectile vomiting of the "standard procedure" prep. I HAVE TO HAVE a colonoscopy yearly because of the ever-present danger of this CRAZY disease (for 20 years now) SO, any shortcut to achieve the same results is always welcomed in my world of hurt. I hope this is helpful to you as well=)

The Following User Says Thank You to WhistleDixie For This Useful Post:
    WoodsWalker (10-11-2013)
    Old 10-12-2013, 01:54 PM   #13
    Cher45
    (female)

Cher45 HB User

I'd love to help in anyway I can. I've been sick in bed for the last few days with GI and my other problems. Once I'm a little better I'll write more but wanted to atleast write you today to let you know I am here The only thing that releives my pain is dalaudid, a strong pain medication. I still have a huge lump of scar tissue where the stomach and esphogus meets (from a different surgery) so eating is hard on top of the endometreosis and scar tissue from my hysterectomy. My pancreas issues is from infections that destroyed it's ability to function. Even though I have scar tissue in my lower pelvic from the hysterectomy I'm still glad I had it done for it got rid of the awful pain & bleeding it was causing. For me I have to stay away from high acid foods, it really irrates my gi from top to bottom.

with bodies like ours it's a catch 22. Now my doctors say they cant do any surgeries for I wouldnt survive post-op infections, I have zero immune system due to no IGG or cortisol.

I'll check back in when I can, hopefully in a day or to before my IVIG infusion which knocks me out for 3-6 weeks.

The following user gives a hug of support to Cher45:
    WhistleDixie (10-12-2013)
    Old 10-12-2013, 03:34 PM   #14
    WhistleDixie
    Inactive
    (female)

Oh Lord, Darlin, I SO UNDERSTAND. I'm glad at least the dilaudid works for you. Ironically I gave in and got my script filled (written by my ortho on Tuesday for a few 2 mg for me to try). I took the first half of the tiny little pill with no problem. I ate a cracker and took the other half. I was shrieking with gas in my chest for over an hour. Now I know we can X that one, too. I should be a veteran at this after 20+ years of suffering with belly/pelvic and multiple bone injuries from car accidents during my teen years/early adulthood. NO ONE understands that even though they can identify/advise on bone and joint issues...stage 4 endometriosis is a whole separate MONSTER that ravages parts of my body I never knew existed.

Please FEEL BETTER, friend, and keep in touch.

Closed Thread