It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board

• After so many years of tests I wonder if it's Fibro

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 03-19-2015, 07:40 PM   #1
    CML1980
    (female)

CML1980 HB User
    After so many years of tests I wonder if it's Fibro

So this is my first post and i'd like to say Hi! to everyone Guess I'll start with a bit of health history.

From 2007-2010 the rental unit I lived in had a leaking roof which eventually caused a horrible infestation of mold, the mold was believed to be stachybotrys, aspergillus and possibly another type (not sure since no testing was done). Around this time I developed sore, irritated skin, dry red rashy skin, burning eyes, joint pain, headaches, sinus pain, muscle pain, IBS, fatigue that I could have never imagined. There was also tingling type nerve sensations, bad back pain, really tight and spastic leg pain.

After realizing these symptoms were a result of mold from a leaky roof, I moved out right away. That was in 2010 and since then I've lived in healthy environments free of mold and water damage. Unfortunately even though I left and moved out, my symptoms persisted and still do today.

In 2011 I saw an osteopath who put me on a mold treatment program designed similar to Richie Shoemaker's protocal. That didn't help at all so I thought, "well maybe something else is going on." For years now I've seen rheumatologists, neurologists, 2 osteopaths, dermatologists, and a GP. After all these years of testing, I still have no answer.

So my question is, could I have fibromyalgia caused by mold exposure? My symptoms mainly right now are very stiff muscles, cramping, spasticity, parasthesia (feels like bugs crawling under my skin) sometimes I lose feeling in my calf muscles and drag my feet when I walk. I also am exhausted all the time, paying attention is tough, sometimes I lose thought mid sentence. Sinus headaches are frequent, also get the feeling like the left side of my face is burning even though there's no redness. Basically I'm just always tired and in pain, but what's frustrating is that the pain keeps me from falling asleep easily. I'm also unable to work because of my health

Thanks for any insight or advice you can provide. I feel like I'm at my wits end with drs. right now, I haven't gotten any help and some even have the nerve to say it's psychosomatic.

editing to add tests perfomed to date:

Multiple hypothryoid tests, on meds and further tests show I'm within range.

Vit D low but am taking a daily supplement and getting sun when I can

B12 also low and have been supplementing

Calcium within range

Magnesium within range

CBC (includes diff/plt) within range

Comprehensive metabolic panel within range

Folate/serum within range

Copper within range

Vit E within range

ANA (lupus, sjogren's test?) within range

Cortisol stress test salivary
    4 vials were taken. morning test was within range and 3 vials throughout the day were elevated

2 Urine cortisol tests were performed as a result and those came back within range.

Blood cortisol test performed and was within range

Assay of ACTH within range

Prolactin within range

DHEA within range

Insulin fasting and non fasting within range

Progesterone within range

Glidian (one of the tests for gluten intolerance) within range

Cholesterol levels normal

Tested for leaky gut syndrome and candida overgrowth, those tests came back without any abnormalities

ESR normal

CRP normal

Rheumatoid Factor normal

CCPab normal

Hepatitis B and C tested negative

HLA B27 normal

Multiple Myeloma test showed no abnormalities

Echocardiogram and EKG performed and no abnormalities

Brain mri w/without contrast performed and no abnormalities found

X-ray of spine and hips no abnormalities found other than slight hardening of bone on L2 region

Last edited by CML1980; 03-19-2015 at 07:54 PM. Reason: adding test info

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-20-2015, 07:23 AM   #2
    momzworkin
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

momzworkin HB Usermomzworkin HB Usermomzworkin HB Usermomzworkin HB Usermomzworkin HB Usermomzworkin HB Usermomzworkin HB Usermomzworkin HB Usermomzworkin HB Usermomzworkin HB Usermomzworkin HB User
    Re: After so many years of tests I wonder if it's Fibro

Sounds like the tests haven't been very helpful. Have you had an MRI to rule out any spine problems? That could explain some of your symptoms, but not nearly all of them.
    I have never seen any studies linking mold exposure to fibro, and since you went through a protocol to remove it from your system it doesn't sound like would be a reason.
    Anyone else in your family suffer from fibromyalsia?
    09/2011: re-tore shoulder in PT- lost 30% function in shoulder
    06/2013: diagnosed with failure of L2-L3-L4

Old 03-20-2015, 12:15 PM   #3
    CML1980
    (female)

CML1980 HB User
    Re: After so many years of tests I wonder if it's Fibro

Hi,

After the x-ray showing sclerosis, I'm scheduled for an MRI of L2/L3 region. No one in my family has fibromyalgia or really another other health issues aside from some delevoping diabetes later in life.

I did go to a neurologist around december and after only seeing him for one visit, he referred me to a rheumalogist thinking it was fibromyalgia. That rheumatologist ran tests checking for rheumatoid arthritis and ankylosing spondylitis and when those came back clean along with the x-ray,I was told that I no longer needed to see him again because I don't have rheumatic disease. I don't think he addressed whether or not I have fibromyalgia during the 2x I've seen him. His advice was that I would benefit from a good exercise routine and to get plenty of sleep.

So now after seeing 7 drs. (pcps, 2 neurologists, 2 rheumatologists, an endocrinologist, 2 osteopaths, 3 dermatologists) I really don't know at this point where to turn and who can help. It's all so frustrating

Reply Reply