It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

• 8 weeks after ankle surgery-colouring of foot/pus under scab on scar area?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-31-2015, 06:30 PM   #1
    Xanet
    (female)

Xanet HB User
    Question 8 weeks after ankle surgery-colouring of foot/pus under scab on scar area?

Hey!
    I'm 18 and I've broken my ankle on 1st of February (trimalleolar fracture) and had surgery the same day, had a plate and couple of screws put in place. I've had a hard cast on for 6 week and I've had it removed and my foot is finally free. Although its been 8 weeks I still cannot walk without crutches and it's concerning me. I also live on my own as my family live in a different country so it has been really hard and I want to get back into 'life' as quick as possible I have had very little swelling generally, my leg/foot looks basically the same as my healthy foot but when I stand it turns a deeper colour and on some days randomly turns somewhat grey/blueish undertones at its' worst but when I sit down or elevate it, it resumes back to a healthy colour almost immediately.

More over, today I poked and took of this small scab on the bottom of my scar where they've inserted the plate to find a small amount of somewhat hardened pus in it just like a pimple or 'white head'. I put hand sanitiser on it and a plaster so it's not in contact with other things but I'm really worried it might mean worse than it seems.

Last edited by Administrator; 03-31-2015 at 08:08 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-01-2015, 04:39 AM   #2
    JustMeJen
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

JustMeJen HB UserJustMeJen HB UserJustMeJen HB UserJustMeJen HB UserJustMeJen HB UserJustMeJen HB UserJustMeJen HB UserJustMeJen HB UserJustMeJen HB UserJustMeJen HB UserJustMeJen HB User
    Re: 8 weeks after ankle surgery-colouring of foot/pus under scab on scar area?

The discoloation when you have the foot down for long is normal and probably has been going on all along but the cast prevented you from knowing. It's because gravity causes blood to pool in the foot when it is down.

I think you should call the dr about the area you found in the incision. That probably needs to be checked or else they'll know what it is and make you feel better. I wouldn't use hand sanitizer on a wound because the alcohol could really irritate it. Probably you shouldn't use anything until checking with the dr. but just keep it covered.

Closed Thread

Tags
    ankle, pus, recovery, surgery