It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

• Had My surgery on the 6th

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-15-2015, 01:49 PM   #1
    tf664
    (female)

tf664 HB User
    Angry Had My surgery on the 6th

Hello everyone,
    I had my ankle surgery on July 6th and I am non weight bearing for 2 in a half weeks to heal....on the 23rd I go to the doctor to get some stitches out and then get put into a hard cast. I feel like I have been losing my mind all I do is move from my bedroom to a chair in the living room, can't do too much on my own and the pain is horrible. How did you guys get through this pain? I have a very small craft business and I haven't really been able to work on anything cause of the pain, I take the Lora tabs and I end up sleeping the day away. If it wasn't for my Mother in law (also the person that caused the crash that put me here) orders wouldn't get filled and our page wouldn't get updated and checked. I don't know what to do I feel so damn alone and whenever I do talk about how I am feeling I get the same old oh you will be alright or in time you will feel better. Hell my 35 birthday is on Monday and I can't even get happy about it. I feel like I have hit an emotional wall and I am lost.

The following 2 users give hugs of support to: tf664
    Justintime44 (07-16-2015),left foot (07-15-2015)
    Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-15-2015, 04:29 PM   #2
    left foot
    Veteran
    (female)

left foot HB Userleft foot HB Userleft foot HB Userleft foot HB Userleft foot HB Userleft foot HB Userleft foot HB Userleft foot HB Userleft foot HB Userleft foot HB Userleft foot HB User
    Re: Had My surgery on the 6th

Quote:
    Originally Posted by tf664 View Post
    Hello everyone,
    I had my ankle surgery on July 6th and I am non weight bearing for 2 in a half weeks to heal....on the 23rd I go to the doctor to get some stitches out and then get put into a hard cast. I feel like I have been losing my mind all I do is move from my bedroom to a chair in the living room, can't do too much on my own and the pain is horrible. How did you guys get through this pain? I have a very small craft business and I haven't really been able to work on anything cause of the pain, I take the Lora tabs and I end up sleeping the day away. If it wasn't for my Mother in law (also the person that caused the crash that put me here) orders wouldn't get filled and our page wouldn't get updated and checked. I don't know what to do I feel so damn alone and whenever I do talk about how I am feeling I get the same old oh you will be alright or in time you will feel better. Hell my 35 birthday is on Monday and I can't even get happy about it. I feel like I have hit an emotional wall and I am lost.
    We're here for you. It's is tough. Those first couple of weeks are the worst because you're dealing with so much stuff all at once. Just keep it elevated as much as you can because that will help ease the swelling, which will in turn hopefully help with the pain a bit. I know what you mean about the pain medicine making you sleep the day away. I hate that stuff, but sometimes it's the only thing that helps. Do you have some good movies, books, or computer games to help pass the time? Will you get to start weight bearing when you get your hard cast on? That will make things easier. I know this sounds trivial, but hang in there, it does get better. Keep in touch and let us know how it goes for you. We've all been there in one way or another and we can help you through it, even if it's just a listening ear so you can vent.

Old 07-15-2015, 04:39 PM   #3
    tf664
    (female)

tf664 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by left foot View Post
    We're here for you. It's is tough. Those first couple of weeks are the worst because you're dealing with so much stuff all at once. Just keep it elevated as much as you can because that will help ease the swelling, which will in turn hopefully help with the pain a bit. I know what you mean about the pain medicine making you sleep the day away. I hate that stuff, but sometimes it's the only thing that helps. Do you have some good movies, books, or computer games to help pass the time? Will you get to start weight bearing when you get your hard cast on? That will make things easier. I know this sounds trivial, but hang in there, it does get better. Keep in touch and let us know how it goes for you. We've all been there in one way or another and we can help you through it, even if it's just a listening ear so you can vent.

Old 07-15-2015, 04:45 PM   #4
    tf664
    (female)

tf664 HB User

I have a few movies to watch the problem is I keep falling asleep before I finish watching them. I don't have a sleepy books yet, working on that. It is just so hard not being able to do things for myself. I won't know if I will be weight bearing till my appointment on the 23rd. I am really hoping that I will be able to walk a bit...they gave me a walker so I most be using that soon.

Old 07-16-2015, 02:47 PM   #5
    dama
    Veteran
    (male)

dama HB Userdama HB Userdama HB Userdama HB Userdama HB Userdama HB Userdama HB User

what did you have done?

Old 07-16-2015, 03:04 PM   #6
    tf664
    (female)

tf664 HB User

They put 2 pins in my ankle to realign my bones and they repaired torn ligaments and tendons on the inside and ouside of my right foot

Old 07-16-2015, 09:37 PM   #7
    Justintime44
    Veteran
    (female)

Justintime44 HB UserJustintime44 HB UserJustintime44 HB UserJustintime44 HB UserJustintime44 HB UserJustintime44 HB UserJustintime44 HB UserJustintime44 HB UserJustintime44 HB UserJustintime44 HB UserJustintime44 HB User

Ouch! That does sound painful. I hope they have given you enough pain medication to manage the pain. Elevation above your heart ("toes to the nose") and ice packs can help with the pain. I used gel-type ice packs, and my family brought new ones for me every 2-3 hours. I took my pain medication on a timer (phone alarm) around the clock for the first 2-3 weeks or more.

I watched some movies I had seen in the past that made me laugh, smile, or take me away from the pain, so if I fell asleep, it wouldn't matter. I already knew the ending. The first few weeks and the level of pain can make it very difficult to concentrate for very long. Try to get some fresh air or sit near an open window with a breeze. I liked watching the birds nest and fly outside my window. find positive things to think about or do, if possible.

It's probably hard to be reminded daily that your mother-in-law caused the crash. It's also frustrating that she is not as understanding or empathetic as you might hope and need during this difficult recovery. Hopefully she can help you with food, chores around the house and shopping. Try to be thankful for the little things she does to help you as you heal. You may need her help a lot longer than you planned. Holding in your own anger and resentment over the crash may be difficult. Please "vent" as Left Foot said here on this forum, so those possible negative emotions don't pull you down. Recovery is tough. Sadness, anger and frustration are part of the process. Hang in there each minute, hour and day. Gradually you will get better. We are here to listen and support each other along the way.

I wish you well in your recovery.
    K

May 2016 - Tarsal Tunnel Release surgery
    July 2014 - Talonavicular Fusion and Achilles Tendon Lengthening, same foot

Closed Thread