It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

• PWB To FWB

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-15-2015, 05:10 PM   #1
    Saab21
    (male)

Saab21 HB User
    PWB To FWB

I was told almost a week ago to be PWB (first 3 days, 25% of my weight, then for another 3 days 50% of my weight, then after a week I can use all my weight). When I begin FWB, I want to try to step away from my walker and at least use a cane or some sort. How did you all have confidence to walk FWB with a cam walker boot after PWB? Any of you were scared? Etc...

I am 1 month post-op for peroneal tendon surgery. I had a longitudinal split tear of my peroneus brevis tendon and had it sutured. 23 days I was NWB.

Last edited by Saab21; 07-15-2015 at 05:11 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-15-2015, 05:35 PM   #2
    35stitches
    (female)

35stitches HB User35stitches HB User35stitches HB User35stitches HB User35stitches HB User35stitches HB User
    Re: PWB To FWB

I had a very conservative doctor for my bunion, fusion, hammertoe and metatarsal shortening surgery. I was in three different casts for TEN weeks. When I got my boot on and could heel walk and step sideways on the whole foot I was READY TO RUN! That doesn't mean I did, but I wanted to. My heel hurt like heck from doing nothing and my boot had a rounded bottom so pressure was weird. I used my knee scooter and got off of it at the kitchen counter and tried to balance. Then I would walk sideways facing the counter and holding on. Then I gradually tried to walk a step or two holding on with one hand. It is a slow process and takes time. I would definitely find out how much pain you are supposed to consider normal so you have an idea what to endure and what not to push through. Elevating is still the key and my doc said my scooter was still my best friend. It's a process and fast is not the name of the game. I did not have your surgery so others may have more pertinent advice. Just wishing you well and don't forget to SHOUT OUT when you reach milestones!

Old 07-15-2015, 05:44 PM   #3
    Saab21
    (male)

Saab21 HB User

It sounds like you had one heck of an operation! Hope you are doing better! Yeah, it's just a weird process to me, haha.

Old 07-15-2015, 06:00 PM   #4
    BeeMom
    (female)

BeeMom HB User

When I was allowed to bear weight after 8 weeks, I just did.

If you are nervous, then perhaps a single crutch on the opposite side or a wide base cane might allay your fears.

Old 07-15-2015, 07:17 PM   #5
    Saab21
    (male)

Saab21 HB User

The cane will help with balance that's why I want one. I just have a fear of re-rupturing and such...

You just went full weight bearing without the help of anything?

Old 07-16-2015, 12:47 AM   #6
    noevr
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

noevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB User

Hi are you in a boot, can you get in a tub or have heel pain, what is the status of your foot?

Reason I'm asking there are different things you can do. One crutch, walker with partial weight, if you have heel pain and a boot you can get one of those gel inserts and put it in your boit.

I guess you're going to pt? If you can get in a tub, what about getting in a pool? It realky helped me when I had Achilles tendon done. Chest high water is important. Walking back and forth in a pool. Eventually trying to get the heel toe motion going. Water takes the weight off. Ask PT about it.

Good luck, cathy

Old 07-16-2015, 12:55 AM   #7
    Saab21
    (male)

Saab21 HB User

I am 1 week in the boot. Technically I'm supposed to start FWB today. Not really much heel pain, no.

I start PT in about a week or so, I can't wait.

Old 07-16-2015, 03:40 AM   #8
    BeeMom
    (female)

BeeMom HB User

Yes, I actually did go full weight bearing immediately without anything. I wouldn't say that it would be ideal for everyone, but I had the blessing of my surgeon, and I felt comfortable with it.

If you have access to a pool, doing some water walking can really help with your confidence. I hope PT goes well, and don't blame you a bit for being worried about re-rupture. It is definitely a traumatic experience.

Closed Thread