It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

• 8 months post ankle Brostrom procedure

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-25-2015, 09:33 PM   #1
    murrala
    (female)

murrala HB User
    8 months post ankle Brostrom procedure

Hello. I had my right ankle repaired via brostrom surgery in December. I had completely torn a ligament, and had another loose one, along with bone spurs and scar tissue repaired. It's been nearly 8 months and I've begun to get back to normal exercise: running, cycling, Pilates and tennis (which is how the sprain occurred). I have no instability, but still have discomfort in the front of my ankle. Especially when I wake up and after exercise. It's mostly a tightness and almost feeling like it needs to be popped. Anyone have a similar experience? How long till I'm back to normal?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-28-2015, 02:03 AM   #2
    dama
    Veteran
    (male)

dama HB Userdama HB Userdama HB Userdama HB Userdama HB Userdama HB Userdama HB User
    Re: 8 months post ankle Brostrom procedure

i had brostrum for ripping everything up on outside of ankle including peroneal and its cover in april 2014

still not normal and i experience a side to side tightness, feels like repairs are getting pulled on when im sitting indian style. repaired foot definately has different range of motion.

still get aches and pains daily but they got better over time.

i can do a wobble board for example and real world type activities ok except i still lack proprioception.

i sometimes get pinching pain on lower rear of outside ankle bone many months after i finished physical therapy.

i notice little quirks in the range of motion if i think about things too much, so i just try and keep it simple with my real world activities and naturally adapt i guess.

Old 07-30-2015, 01:02 PM   #3
    JustMeJen
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

JustMeJen HB UserJustMeJen HB UserJustMeJen HB UserJustMeJen HB UserJustMeJen HB UserJustMeJen HB UserJustMeJen HB UserJustMeJen HB UserJustMeJen HB UserJustMeJen HB UserJustMeJen HB User
    Re: 8 months post ankle Brostrom procedure

My ankle constantly wants to be popped. It pops a lot if I just flex and extend it several times. This seems to come from inside the joint and I assume it is related to having a lot of cartilage removed via scope. Sometimes it feels like it wants stretched and to pop sort of like it did before surgery with the peroneals wanting a big stretch. I stretch them and expect a pop but it never happens. I still stretch a LOT at 13 months post-op. I do it unconsciously at times and other times I do it because I feel tight and the stretching helps. I make sure to stretch well every day but I add in stretching throughout the day as I move through the things I need to do. However I still pop the joint numerous times per day and sometimes wish the peroneals would just pop and get it over with. I'm not sure what causes the desire to pop the peroneals (I don't mean the popping out of place like when they were torn, just the pops that come with a good stretch that I can no longer achieve) but it is there sometimes.

My only suggestion is to keep stretching and see if keeping the joint as loose as possible helps.

Closed Thread

Tags
    ankle, brostrom, foot, ligament