It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

• Calcaneus Fracture and Outcome

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-09-2015, 06:26 PM   #1
    Islander777
    (male)

Islander777 HB UserIslander777 HB UserIslander777 HB UserIslander777 HB User
    Calcaneus Fracture and Outcome

Right calcaneus fx on 7/23/15. Surgery on 7/31/15. Booted 8/7/15; non weigh bearing until further notice. Staples come out 8/14/15.

Pain was horrible until after surgery. Now, I am fine. I hate the boot, and having to use my knee scooter/crutches.

BUT- the knee scooter has made me able to get out of the house with my family for trips to the store, or just to walk outside! It has been a large part of maintaining my sanity.

I have been released to go back to work, still non weight bearing, on 9/8. I am a classroom teacher.

After hearing all of the horror stories from my doctor the day of the injury, I had no idea I would be in my right mind and functioning 16 days after the injury.

Yes, I have a long way to go. BUT, I COULD HAVE BROKEN MY BACK, or other bones, still be hospitalized, be in tons of pain....

Some rough days are still to come, I am sure. Look for the positive, people.

TIME and NON WEIGHT BEARING ARE THE KEYS!!!!!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Islander777 For This Useful Post:
    MEllen59 (08-13-2015),Wendy1949 (08-31-2015)
    Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-12-2015, 07:24 PM   #2
    Tigers1852
    (male)

Tigers1852 HB UserTigers1852 HB UserTigers1852 HB User
    Re: Calcaneus Fracture and Outcome

I broke my right calcaneus in January with surgery about 3 weeks later in February. Was non weight bearing till early May and put on a progressive strength program over 6 weeks. I have had no pain since right after surgery and that continues today. Even after all the PT, my foot and leg gets fatigued quicker but I've noticed how that has improved over the last few weeks. I am still very cautious with it as expected but I've gone back to work and it's been ok. Good luck! The ground hog day type feeling gets really frustrating but things will get better. Don't sit around and listen to all the doom and bloomers. Your attitude and how much you want to work to get better determines how you feel!

The Following User Says Thank You to Tigers1852 For This Useful Post:
    Wendy1949 (08-31-2015)
    Old 08-12-2015, 10:36 PM   #3
    Islander777
    (male)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chad K View Post
    This is a long recovery. I'm sure you have read a few horror stories online, don't think that will be you. It takes time to heal and it is important to do a lot of therapy when the time is right and you'll be okay. I am 10 weeks since surgery on bilateral calcaneus fractures and a fractured L2 as well. I've been wheelchair bound since my injury and was lucky enough to walk in a pool for the first time just a few days ago. The boots aren't fun and never really get better but you will get rid of them in a few weeks/months depending on your recovery schedule. Getting out of the house is a huge part of staying sane for me. I set up a schedule for my mornings that is pretty basic, feels a bit like Groundhog Day but I know what I'm going to get each day since I can't drive and can only push my chair around the block a few times. Make coffee, breakfast, wife & kids leave for their day, bone stim while reading on the front porch in the sunshine, an hour guitar lesson and my morning is done. After lunch I work on my computer, upper body workout with passive mobility for my feet (just now getting into basic therapy), a bit more work, and then family time when my wife and kids get home. I've picked up a few new books and a few new hobbies to help pass the time. My job is physical so I'm off from working my regular job but can do some work from home on my computer. I have plenty of free time so it's good for me to have a routine to stay sane.
    You have a great outlook. It could always be worse. You're happy you're not in my position and I'm happy the wheelchair is temporary. There is always a positive side to find. Time is the hard part but it will pass so you might as well make the best of it. Glad you're not in pain. Best of luck and stay strong.
    Dude- thanks for the reply. You are encouraging. Also a key to success is to be very careful on crutches, scooter, etc. Reinjury during recovery stays on my mind.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Islander777 For This Useful Post:
    MEllen59 (08-13-2015),Wendy1949 (08-31-2015)
    Old 08-13-2015, 11:59 AM   #4
    MEllen59
    (female)

MEllen59 HB User

Just joined and saw this post; also just posted my first question.
    Scooter is keeping me sane!!
    Resting, icing, elevating and getting some reading done.
    Appreciate your advice on routine; have found myself not wanting to get out of bed because activities are so very limited. Avid gardener, so going outside is good but frustrating not being able to do anything but look at the flowers! The scooter doesn't go well if not on smooth surfaces; have taken two falls because of that so extra cautious now.
    Thanks for encouraging post!

Old 08-13-2015, 08:39 PM   #5
    Islander777
    (male)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tigers1852 View Post
    I broke my right calcaneus in January with surgery about 3 weeks later in February. Was non weight bearing till early May and put on a progressive strength program over 6 weeks. I have had no pain since right after surgery and that continues today. Even after all the PT, my foot and leg gets fatigued quicker but I've noticed how that has improved over the last few weeks. I am still very cautious with it as expected but I've gone back to work and it's been ok. Good luck! The ground hog day type feeling gets really frustrating but things will get better. Don't sit around and listen to all the doom and bloomers. Your attitude and how much you want to work to get better determines how you feel!
    Keep updating us. While docs want us to know the worst case, I believe most cases are not as severe. Yes, serious and somewhat life altering... But not the end of life as we knew it.

A few days post surgery, my wife heard me getting upset in another part of the house. My emotions blended with anger, sadness, pity, frustration and fear. Being very blunt, she said, "Well, you can sit here and stress over this, but that wont change it." Something so obvious to most people. I needed to hear it. Ive been mentally fine since then.

The Following User Says Thank You to Islander777 For This Useful Post:
    Wendy1949 (08-31-2015)
    Old 08-16-2015, 10:47 PM   #6
    Chad K
    (male)

Chad K HB UserChad K HB UserChad K HB UserChad K HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MEllen59 View Post
    Just joined and saw this post; also just posted my first question.
    Scooter is keeping me sane!!
    Resting, icing, elevating and getting some reading done.
    Appreciate your advice on routine; have found myself not wanting to get out of bed because activities are so very limited. Avid gardener, so going outside is good but frustrating not being able to do anything but look at the flowers! The scooter doesn't go well if not on smooth surfaces; have taken two falls because of that so extra cautious now.
    Thanks for encouraging post!
    I think I was about 6 weeks into healing and began using knee pads to move around the house into areas not wheelchair friendly. I needed a way to get through the baby gates and into a bathroom with a narrow doorway. Knee pads may allow you to get into some areas of gardening. I am at 11 weeks and can crawl quickly indoor to chase my 1 year old daughter. She thinks it's funny that I'm crawling after her so it's not all bad. Picking a few new/old hobbies or chores and giving yourself a daily schedule may seem boring but the predictability of the routine gave me small things to look forward to. I am about to start the home repairs patching nicks in the walls from my wheelchair and painting. That's a knee pad type job and I have plenty of free time at the moment. Good luck with your recovery.

Old 08-31-2015, 02:47 AM   #7
    Wendy1949
    (female)

Wendy1949 HB UserWendy1949 HB User
    Smile Re: Calcaneus Fracture and Outcome

Glad to have found this thread - lots of good advice to keep me motivated!

Closed Thread

Tags
    calcaneus, foot, heel, positive, progress