It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

Posterior tibial tendon surgery

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-13-2015, 12:16 PM   #1
Footpain1
(female)

Footpain1 HB User
Posterior tibial tendon surgery

My daughter is having posterior tibial tendon in three weeks. She is getting the tendon repaired and then some bones cut down. She is 14 and a freshman. She takes all honors courses and is terrified of missing school! I think she should miss two weeks but she wants to go back after a week! She wants to get surgery on the Monday and go back the Friday!
Do you think it would be ok to go back that soon? can anything get damaged from to much swelling?
So how long should I keep her out?
Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-13-2015, 04:28 PM   #2
Cass983
(female)

Cass983 HB UserCass983 HB UserCass983 HB User
Re: Posterior tibial tendon surgery

I'm a 46 year old female and I had the LEFT FDL Tendon Transfer with Medial Displacement Calcaneal Osteotomy on 8/12/15. I was told no weight bearing for 6 weeks after surgery. This is not an easy surgery and recovery. Granted she's younger but still, I think you need to have this discussion with your Surgeon as everyone is different. Good Luck to you both.

Old 09-13-2015, 08:16 PM   #3
left foot
Veteran
(female)

left foot HB Userleft foot HB Userleft foot HB Userleft foot HB Userleft foot HB Userleft foot HB Userleft foot HB Userleft foot HB Userleft foot HB Userleft foot HB Userleft foot HB User
Re: Posterior tibial tendon surgery

She might change her mind once she actually has the surgery. To be sitting straight up all day with minimal elevation at a week is probably going to be very tough, even for a young person. There can be a lot of swelling for the first month, especially if you don't have it elevated high enough, and that can cause a lot of pain.
Is there a possibility of getting a tutor at home for a few weeks so she doesn't fall behind?

Last edited by left foot; 09-13-2015 at 08:26 PM.

Closed Thread

Tags
foot and ankle, foot surgery, posterior osteophytes, posterior tibal tendon surgery, posterior tibial repair