It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

• Foot Recovery

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-15-2015, 03:34 PM   #1
    AllAmericanFoot
    (male)

AllAmericanFoot HB User
    Foot Recovery

Well, I pulled the trigger and had my foot rebuilt on September 10, 2015. I was extremely nervous, yet looking forward to getting it done. Surgery took a couple of hours, recovery took about 4 hours, then I was home late afternoon on Thursday the 10th. Amazing that you can have this done "outpatient". I don't have a clue what all was done, other than the works. My surgeon said that things went really well and that I had a great looking foot on the table when she was done. She then proceeded to tell me not to mess it up. First post op visit will be on September 23, right now in a splint.

For those of you, like I was, who are concerned regarding the procedure, pain management, etc. Don't drive yourself crazy. So, far, and I'm only on day 5, the pain management side of things has not been too bad. The worst, absolute worst, thing I have dealt with is the constipation. Things just were not moving well the first couple of days. My primary gave me some samples of Movantik 25 mg to take for the Opioid Constipation. Until today, day 5, they really did not do much other than turn me into a huge ball of gas for a couple of hours each day. Things were moving, just not to a satisfactory volume. Now today things are moving quite nicely. Along with the Movantik, I have eaten high fiber, pushed fluids, and tried to move as much as possible. Bottom line, Opioid constipation sucks.

Back to the day of surgery. Surgery always blows and this one is no exception to the rule. When you think about being NWB for 2 to 3 months and all the changes that have to occur it can be a bit overwhelming. I showed up at the surgery center as instructed, and I know that was a shock to my wife. I'm confident that she would have bet the farm on the fact that I would not go through with this. I was stretched out on the table at 8:30 in the morning and woke up in the PACU around 11 am. Recovery rooms are not fun, always feels like a three ring circus. I had one nurse in PACU and she pretty much sat by my side the entire time. She was fantastic. There was debate over nerve blocks and if they were going to give me the one for the inside of my foot or not. I was kind enough to pipe up and demand the block. When it was all said and done I had a block in my inner thigh that played defense on the inside of my foot, one down the outside of my shin that ran defense for the outside of my foot, and an indwelling that I came home with that blocked my heel. The indwelling was in the outside of my thigh, just a bit higher than my knee. I had no idea if the indwelling was doing a thing, other than getting in my way, until I had to remove it on Saturday at Noon. By 1:00 pm on Saturday I knew exactly what the indwelling was blocking and wished that I could have it back.

Due to the second nerve block I spent an extra hour in the PACU before I was transferred to the regular recovery room. For being at the "fancy out patient surgery center" some things were really lacking. The room they had me in only had a recliner. I'm 6'3", so normal recliners mean my feet hang way off of the foot rest. They didn't really have any plan for elevating my foot in the chair, it was a bit of a mess. Eventually someone brought in some foam pads and a couple of pillows and I was set. Around 3:30 I was discharged.

I had done a couple of trial runs with the car and knew exactly what I wanted where for pillows and supports and had a solid entry and exit strategy for the car. I had my foot propped up above my nose for the ride home. The ride home was a bit of a blur, hopefully I was not too much of a back seat driver. I had two plans for getting into the house. Always good to have plan A and plan B. Plan A was to crutch up the back steps. I got to the steps and decided quickly that trying to hop up a step with my crutches in my drugged up state was a bad plan. On to plan B, crawl in the back door and pull myself up once in the house. Plan B was a success.

The rest of my surgery night was spent in a drug induced state. I watched some TV, ate some comfort food, and drifted in and out of sleep. I feel bad for women that have to go through this process. Let me say one word to sum that up, "urinal". That first night my wife got a work out running up and down the steps to empty my urinal. Somewhere around midnight the gates flew open and the Pee Train came to town! Making frequent stops for the next 12 hours.

I had the surgeon provide my prescription before I went under for surgery so my wife could pick up the meds before we headed home. Surgery night meds were every three hours, both my wife and I sat alarms to wake me up and give the dose. Meds are Oxy 5mg, up to three tabs, every 3 hours. The first day we did the 3 every 3 hours. We started a notebook to keep track of med times and how many.

Surgery Day Pain Level? Not bad at all, pretty much loaded all day on meds. I will say that when your leg is numb from the blocks it is a bit awkward moving it around. And, I will point out that once again my wife was correct, I should have been doing some heavy duty core workouts before surgery. My Abs were killing me the first 3 days from all of the "leg lifts".

Last edited by Administrator; 09-19-2015 at 07:11 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-16-2015, 09:32 PM   #2
    Cass983
    (female)

Cass983 HB UserCass983 HB UserCass983 HB User
    re: Foot Recovery

The best thing for the constipation is good old Metameucil. Worked like a charm for me. I had a LEFT FDL Tendon Transfer with Medial Displacement Calcaneal Osteotomy on August 12th. I've been non-weight bearing since then and see the doc next Tuesday for my 6 week check-up. Good Luck on your continued recovery! I'll keep checking in on ya. ;-)

Old 09-17-2015, 08:39 PM   #3
    AllAmericanFoot
    (male)

AllAmericanFoot HB User

Good luck with your recovery. My first post op is next Wednesday, I think i'm going straight to a boot, but who knows. Right now the NWB part isn't bad at all. I can't imagine putting any weight on it at this stage in the game. I'm getting around fine with crutches, knee walker, and my pirate leg. I use the pirate leg more than anything. How long will you be NWB?

Last edited by Administrator; 10-06-2015 at 11:22 PM.

Old 09-17-2015, 11:25 PM   #4
    Cass983
    (female)

Six weeks NWB, next Wednesday will be a full six weeks but I see the Doc on Tuesday. That's been the hardest. My hands are so sore from the walker, I'm not comfortable with crutches but I get by. I fell off my roll about/scooter about 3 weeks into recovery and used my surgically repaired foot to break my fall. Quite terrifying but seems that all is good. I called the office when it happened. As long as there was no pop it should be fine. No pop just a pulling sensation. They said I'd know if I damaged it. Seems like these last few weeks the foot is feeling a lot better. Still swollen but each day it gets better and better. I'm still icing every night after taking the cam walker off. There isn't pain now, just a lot of tightness and pins and needles sensation. The only pain I feel at this point is if I bump it on something.

Last edited by Administrator; 10-06-2015 at 11:30 PM.

Old 09-18-2015, 03:29 PM   #5
    AllAmericanFoot
    (male)

AllAmericanFoot HB User

.I have a 3 wheeled knee walker that is suppose to be "all terrain", but I can see how it can throw you. I don't use it much. I use my pirate leg more than anything. Its so nice to be able to stand in the bathroom to brush my teeth, walk around outside, go up the steps, etc. Did you go straight from your splint to your cam boot? I think that's the direction I'm heading next week at my first post op. I keep mine elevated the majority of the time and I can't really see it, so I have no clue how swollen it gets. I'm probably better off that way. I really haven't had an enormous amount of pain and I hope it stays that way!

Last edited by Administrator; 10-06-2015 at 11:26 PM.

Old 09-18-2015, 04:17 PM   #6
    Cass983
    (female)

There was some confusion about the cam boot once I was out of the splint. When I fell they had asked if I had the cam boot on and I said no and that's when they said I was supposed to be wearing the cam boot for protection if I was going to be out of bed so since that happened I've been wearing it.

It was brutal in the beginning to wear it because my foot was still so swollen. I had to start out slow, 2 hours and then increase the time each day. Now I wear it for 8-10 hours. I feel like I'm ready to try and take some steps and I know that's what they'll test next week so I'm right on track with healing.

I go back to work next Wednesday but will be working from home until I'm able to walk with at least a cane since I don't trust myself on the crutches.

Last edited by Administrator; 10-06-2015 at 11:30 PM.

Old 09-19-2015, 03:13 PM   #7
    AllAmericanFoot
    (male)

AllAmericanFoot HB User

I agree gicki, it is great to know there are others out there dealing with the same issues.

Gicki, I completely understand your hesitation to begin the PWB. The thought of having any weight or pressure on my foot right now just turns my stomach.

I practiced quite a bit the past couple of months prior to surgery with my crutches, the knee walker, and my pirate leg so I'm pretty confident on any of the three. Going up/down the stairs with crutches still freaks me out a bit. Its that first step up with the crutches that is always the mind battle on my end. I know I can make it, its just a mind battle to get my good foot off of the ground and moving upward. I still pick the pirate leg over any of the three.

Has anyone found a trick to help with the nerve pain from the blood rushing to your foot when it dangles from the crutches? I have tried everything I can think of. I will transition down to the ground slowly, back and forth, etc., but nothing seems to help. The best I can come up with is to bite the bullet and just do it.

Old 09-19-2015, 03:34 PM   #8
    gicki
    (female)

gicki HB User

I saw the pirate leg on ****** and thought it looked really cool, but was not sure I was coordinated enough to use it. I am the kind of girl that can trip on her own shadow.

Today my son took me out of the house for a little road trip in the car, as I needed to get out and about. I have about 12 steps to deal with and scooted up and down on my butt. I did manage the rest of the way to the car and back on the crutches with gently placing my walking boot on the ground as I take a step. Not putting any pressure on the foot just placing in on the ground. I managed the trip pretty well but was ready to be able to ice my foot as soon as I got back. The good thing about being in the boot is having the ability to take your foot out and ice it. I am searching for a good compression sock to use. What they gave me at the clinic is a joke, they just cut it off a big roll, I believe it is what they use when they put you in a cast.

My doctor prescribed me Neurontin to aid with the nerve pain as that is my biggest complaint right now and it does seem to help. I still get the pins and needle feeling in my heel when my foot is down, but not like it use to. It may be worth taking to your doctor about. The hardest thing is the pain and pulling in the back of the heel and calf from the muscle that I had lengthened. Need to work on stretching that out, which I am sure that PT will help me with on Monday.

It is nice to see someone on the boards that is close to my home and I live in SD as well, just on the other side of the river.

Sending healing thoughts your way!

Closed Thread