It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

• Pain on outside of foot after Flat Foot Surgery

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-24-2015, 04:10 PM   #1
    gicki
    (female)

gicki HB User
    Pain on outside of foot after Flat Foot Surgery

I am 7 1/2 weeks post of from Flat Foot Surgery and the outside area of foot from where my incision ends from the double calcaneal osteotomy up to my little toe the soft tissue is half way numb and very painful. Has anyone else experienced this and if so how long did it last.

I am not sure how long it takes the soft tissue to heal to a point where it does not hurt when you are not walking. Or is what I am feeling nerve pain. I started PT this week and am PWB. My doctor thinks I will be in a shoe in 3 weeks and I don't know at this rate how that could be possible. I am icing a majority of the day for sure after I do my PT exercises.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!
    7-13-17 Arthrodesis MPJ, Plantar fasciotomy, Achilles’ tendon lengthening, Hardware removal
    9-21-17 Screw Removal
    7-8-19 Subtalar Fusion

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-26-2015, 09:47 AM   #2
    Justintime44
    Veteran
    (female)

Justintime44 HB UserJustintime44 HB UserJustintime44 HB UserJustintime44 HB UserJustintime44 HB UserJustintime44 HB UserJustintime44 HB UserJustintime44 HB UserJustintime44 HB UserJustintime44 HB UserJustintime44 HB User
    Re: Pain on outside of foot after Flat Foot Surgery

I can understand the pain you're feeling, as I had it too. If it's nerve pain, some benefit from taking Neurontin or Lyrica. I take Neurontin, but it's a medication you have to gradually build up to for the proper dosage. Some take 600 - 1,800+ per day. I have read that Lyrica can cause more serious side effects such as deep depression and possible loss of vision.

It's possible that you Sural nerve was damaged or nicked during the surgery. It makes the outside of your heel and about half way to your little toe numb and sometimes painful. It can extend somewhat into your little toe, as the nerve is connected to a second nerve that goes to your toe. Damaged nerves grow very slowly, 1 mm per day or about an inch per month. From the point of incision or surgery to the nerve, measure the distance to see how many inches -- which relates to how many months it may take to heal. It is still early in your recovery, so it could definitely get better over time.

You may wonder why I know about this. Well, my sural nerve was nicked when I had the Achilles' tendon lengthening part of my surgery. After ten long months of having solid numbness with no changes, I requested a nerve conduction study with a neurologist. Sure enough, the study confirmed that I had Sural nerve damage. My surgeon apologized and explained it is a sensory nerve that does not affect function/motor skills/ walking. However, my PT explained that numbness can affect walking, which has been my experience. It only somewhat affects me, but I do notice it daily. The Neurontin seems to help with the shooting pains.

I sincerely hope that with time and possible medication, it will improve over time. Try your best to be positive and hope for the best outcome. It can take time to walk without so much pain. Listen to your body along the way and go at your own pace. I hope you are seeing a physical therapist as well, for they can be a tremendous support teaching you exercises to strengthen your foot and help with your walking along the way.

K

May 2016 - Tarsal Tunnel Release surgery
    July 2014 - Talonavicular Fusion and Achilles Tendon Lengthening, same foot

Old 09-26-2015, 01:09 PM   #3
    Avson
    (female)

Avson HB UserAvson HB UserAvson HB UserAvson HB User

Hmm, I'm 3 weeks post op from flat foot surgery and am still in a cast. I, too, am experiencing pain (its a constant tingling pins and needles feeling 24/7) running along the outside of my foot up to my little toe and I'm not even walking. I wonder if it could be the same situation (nicked Sural nerve). Since I'm still non weight bearing could I still experience pain because of it? Definitely going to write this down and ask my doctor about it at my next appt.

Gicki - how have you adjusted from going from NWB to PWB? And if you happen to work outside your home has it been easy enough to return to the work force?

Last edited by Avson; 09-26-2015 at 01:11 PM.

Old 09-26-2015, 02:47 PM   #4
    mel g
    (female)

mel g HB Usermel g HB Usermel g HB Usermel g HB User
    I have had some pain in the soft tissue on the outside of my foot running from my little toe to my heel incision. It was very sore and painful throbbing when I first started bearing weight even in the boot. My PT said it was my peroneals and my doc said it was from doing too much too soon. Since the tendon from the surgery hasn't healed and is still weak I was using this tendon more and sometimes I was walking on the outside of my foot even in the boot. It has gotten better as I have been able to wAlk through my foot more normally but it still acts up from time to time. I do also have some blunted feeling and numbness around my heel but it's not too bad. ThT is prob my sural nerve being irritated from the surgery or scar tissue. I think yours might be either one.

Old 09-27-2015, 02:03 PM   #5
    gicki
    (female)

gicki HB User

Justintime44,

Thank you so much for your response. My Primary Doctor did put me on Neurontin to help with the pain while my foot is healing. I am currently taking 600 mg 3 times a day and the shooting tingling pain as decreased, however I am still experiencing the numb/pain on the side of the foot. I have hoping the more I am able to walk that this will decrease. I am trying to stay as positive as I can. However there are days that I get depressed and cry as I just want my life back. At this point I am disgusted with my self for even considering to have this surgery. But today is a good day and I am trying to stay positive as much as I can.

I have had 2 PT visits last week and they were relatively short. I do have spot on the side of my deal from the double Evans Calcaneal osteotomy where it feels like my incision is stuck to the bracket and my heel and this area of my foot is really pulling when I do my stretches. I am thinking it could be scar tissue, so I will ask my PT about that tomorrow.

Thanks Again!
    7-13-17 Arthrodesis MPJ, Plantar fasciotomy, Achilles’ tendon lengthening, Hardware removal
    9-21-17 Screw Removal
    7-8-19 Subtalar Fusion

Last edited by gicki; 09-27-2015 at 02:16 PM.

Old 09-27-2015, 02:15 PM   #6
    gicki
    (female)

gicki HB User

Avson,

I too experienced the pain/numbness and tingles on the side of the foot at the same stage you are at. I am staying hopeful that this will pass for both of us really soon. Please let me know what your doctors says at your next appointment. I do not see my surgeon again until the 27th. I am sure I will have 3 pages of question for him then. I am afraid after my next appointment which will be 12 weeks post op that I will not get to see him again till 6 month check up.

As far as the transition from NWB to Partial Weight Bearing goes I have had good and bad days. The worst part is going form elevating and icing 23 hours a day to not needing to ice/elevate anymore according to the surgeon to going to putting my foot down and stepping on it. I must have looked at him like he was crazy. He said the icing and elevating is just for my comfort now. I am icing about 4 or 5 times a day and trying to put my foot down as much as possible. Today I have been doing really well and I am just now icing for the first time. He is thinking that I should be in a shoe in 3 weeks. Not sure how that is going to happen as tomorrow I am just 8 weeks out. I am working really hard on my exercises and trying to walk as much as possible without doing it too much to cause me discomfort.

Keep your chin up and I am always here for you.

Happy Healing!!
    9-21-17 Screw Removal
    7-8-19 Subtalar Fusion

Old 09-27-2015, 02:21 PM   #7
    gicki
    (female)

gicki HB User

Mel,

Thank you so much! Your response really does help me stay hopeful that it will resolve soon. I know the doctor said it can take a year for recovery and I am still early in the game. I just did not realize it was going to be this hard of struggle.

I am a single mom of an 11 year old and I am so use to taking care of everyone else and this is taking me some getting use to.

Thanks again!
    9-21-17 Screw Removal
    7-8-19 Subtalar Fusion

Old 09-27-2015, 03:59 PM   #8
    Avson
    (female)

Gicki,

I will definitely ask the question this Tuesday (Sept 29th) when I see my doctor and will report back to you what he says. Meanwhile, last night the outside of my foot was driving me batty so really out of frustration I took a super long-handled CLEAN eye shadow brush put some lotion on the brush then rubbed it inside the cast over that area. I didn't try cramming the brush into the cast any further then I could comfortably and just moved the brush/lotion around a little bit. I swear that gave me some relief. It only lasted 15-20 minutes so I did it several more times. I also ran the brush inside the top of my cast to lotion the skin as much as I could. My Dr is allowing me to get a cast replacement every Tuesday during these miserable 6 weeks of confinement. He said I can wash my leg and foot, apply some (dr approved) lotion before they put the new cast on. This too has been such an answer to prayer. I feel claustrophobic in this thing so having one week goals to get through versus 6 weeks in one cast has given me such peace of mind. While healing from these procedures we have to do/take whatever bits of comfort we can grab.

And Gicki I feel you on the elevating/not elevating dilemma. I told my Dr last week that if I could put and leave my foot behind my head I would. I can hang my leg down and walk a little distance with the walker and not have pain but I don't try pushing it too much. For the most part I use a scooter to get around and if I think about it my leg isn't really elevated on that thing either. But when I'm sitting (which is most of the time) my leg is up, up, up.

I hope I'm not over presuming here but you sound like me. We are struggling with the baby steps that are necessary to go through during our recovery. I cannot wait to just get on with my life.

Thanks for all your info on your experience. As you know reading the journey others have taken truly help us to find a better way to handle ours.

Old 09-29-2015, 06:29 PM   #9
    Avson
    (female)

Gicki,
    I had my drs appt today and the pain I'm experiencing on the outside of my foot is due to a large "hot spot" being caused by the cast (runs the length of the outside of my foot). In fact, I have several hot spots. Since it was very obvious that was causing my discomfort I didn't bother to ask any questions about the Sural Nerve.

So sorry I don't have any insight to your dilemma. I hope whatever is causing your discomfort gets resolved quickly. Getting our ankles/feet to heal is enough to endure. Its slightly unfair to have other issues piled on us as well.

Andrea

Old 09-29-2015, 06:38 PM   #10
    gicki
    (female)

gicki HB User

Avson,

Thank you so much for reporting back and I am happy to hear that yours if from a hot spot and not the nerves. Right now the pain is more noticeable when I touch the side of the foot and not very noticeable in my boot. The pain that I have now, yes it moves around oh Joy!! in on the side of my big toe joint where they did the silver bunionectomy. Not sure if this is normal or not. I am a bit disappointed with my PT as she has not had me working my big toe at all and it is stiff as she said she does not know where the pins and screws are and do not want to hurt me. Seriously she doesn't know where they are she is suppose to help me. Needless I am going back to see the doctor on Tuesday and I am not a Happy Camper about her lack of knowledge when I specifically asked for someone that experience in my foot procedures. Sorry to vent, but this is our feet that we are talking about.

Hope your numbness resolves soon.

All the Best!
    9-21-17 Screw Removal
    7-8-19 Subtalar Fusion

The following 2 users give hugs of support to: gicki
    Avson (09-30-2015),Justintime44 (09-30-2015)
    Old 12-23-2015, 01:38 PM   #11
    Gcbible
    (female)

Gcbible HB User

I'm so glad for this forum. I just had foot Surgery on 12/18 for nerve damage, torn ligaments, flat foot, and Kidner procedure. I wasn't expecting this type and level of pain. I have learned some much from reading other's feedback. I have non-stop tingling and numbness in my toes and shooting pain through the bottom of my foot. I made an ER visit due to not being told that my wrapping may need loosened from excessive swelling (pain was unbearable and was up all night in tears). I feel I need to request additional medication for spasms and numbness. Unfortunately, the office was closed today to start the holiday vacation. I just hope I last until next Tuesday.

Last edited by Gcbible; 12-23-2015 at 01:53 PM.

Old 12-23-2015, 02:47 PM   #12
    Justintime44
    Veteran
    (female)

Justintime44 HB UserJustintime44 HB UserJustintime44 HB UserJustintime44 HB UserJustintime44 HB UserJustintime44 HB UserJustintime44 HB UserJustintime44 HB UserJustintime44 HB UserJustintime44 HB UserJustintime44 HB User

You may want to start your own thread/question. The ER should be able to prescribe you medication such as Flexeril, a muscle relaxant, or Valium, and one thing for pain such as Norco/vicodan an to get you through to Tuesday. I also took Neurontin for nerve pain, but you have to start slow and gradually build it up, as there are often some initial side effects such as dizziness. Your doctor may choose to prescribe you Dilaudid for break through pain, but this is a stronger pain killer that only a surgeon can prescribe.

Please remember to elevate your foot above your heart, which may mean laying in bed with your leg on 4-5 pillows or a large wedge from a medical supply store. I also used gel ice packs under my knee and on my foot around the clock, having the ice changed by family every 2-3 hours. It does bring the swelling down over time. Any time you need to get up to use the bathroom may bring on more pain and swelling, so please try to take it easy and rest/sleep extra.

I wish you well in your healing.

K

Old 12-23-2015, 05:01 PM   #13
    gicki
    (female)

gicki HB User

Gcbible,

I am so sorry to hear you are having a hard time. What all procedures did you have done? When I had the surgery, I knew it was going to be painful, but I don't think any of use were expecting this kind of pain. I did not have good luck with pain killers as they did not knock me out so I could sleep as they have done for other. I was prescribed Valium for muscle spasms and Neurontin for nerve pain. I am now 5 months out and I plan to stay on the Neurontin until I reach the year mark. I have had set backs along the way. I fell one time while trying to get up and on the knee scooter. Went to the ER and everything was okay. Be very careful when you get up to not take a spill like I did. Do not be afraid to ask friends and loved ones for help.

I found the ice machine to be very beneficial, I went through around 30 lbs of ice a day. Elevate and ice consistently. It is a long road, but we will get there.

I was unfortunate to get an infection in my incision on the top of my foot and have developed a keloid scar as a result. I just had some cortisone injections to see if the scar will flatten out and if not, then I will go in for surgery to have the scar and hardware on my first metatarsal removed. I do not want to have more surgery, but do think some hardware removal will be helpful.

Just remember you are not alone. We are all here for you and know exactly what you are going through.
    9-21-17 Screw Removal
    7-8-19 Subtalar Fusion

Old 12-23-2015, 05:10 PM   #14
    Gcbible
    (female)

Gcbible HB User

Thank you for the feedback. I will definitely take your advice. I need to ice more. I just can't get ahead of the pain and of course, lack of sleep is an issue. Thanks again!

Old 12-23-2015, 05:49 PM   #15
    gicki
    (female)

gicki HB User

If you find your self getting Depressed as I did, dont be afraid to ask for something to help you. What helped me was keeping a journal and soon you will be able to look back at how far you have come. You will not notice the improvement on a daily basis, but on weekly or every 2 weeks you will see a difference. There are mini goals. First it is getting through the initial pain, then it is getting out of the cast or splint, whatever you are in and then on to the boot. Then come being able to keep your foot down, transitioning to boot and then PWB and FWB. Watch movie and try take your mind off the foot it is hard, but you will make it.

Ask questions as we are here to help each other.
    9-21-17 Screw Removal
    7-8-19 Subtalar Fusion

Closed Thread

Tags
    foot surgery, pttd