It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

PTTD Surgery 2 years ago, and calves!

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-30-2015, 05:53 PM   #1
punkin77
(female)

punkin77 HB Userpunkin77 HB Userpunkin77 HB Userpunkin77 HB Userpunkin77 HB Userpunkin77 HB Userpunkin77 HB Userpunkin77 HB User
PTTD Surgery 2 years ago, and calves!

Okay, had the full PTTD surgery two years ago. Plenty of ongoing issues since then, ie pain on the inside of my ankle where my peroneal tendon used to be, bone spur, and claw toes. But one other odd thing, my calves are distinctly different sizes. I thought they looked weird and so today I meausred them for comparison. A difference of 2 inches smaller in diameter on the operative leg. I know your muscles can atrophy as you heal, but post that period, I am plenty mobile and did the gym thing too for a while, before deciding to back off to protect my foot. Anyone else notice this?

Going to the ortho tomorrow to see about my claw toes and tendon issue, and will ask him about this as well.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-07-2015, 12:21 PM   #2
punkin77
(female)

punkin77 HB Userpunkin77 HB Userpunkin77 HB Userpunkin77 HB Userpunkin77 HB Userpunkin77 HB Userpunkin77 HB Userpunkin77 HB User
Re: PTTD Surgery 2 years ago, and calves!

Okay, maybe nobody has had this problem, as there were no replies. So here in short is what I have learned so far.

The symptoms, ankle pain, toe curled sideways and painful, and my calf is 2 inches smaller than my other leg. Of course after having full PTTD surgery, you would think it is somETHING mechanical, ie tendon or ligament issue. My ortho thinks it is instead caused by the nerves in my foot not responding to flex my toes, which puts stress on my ankle, causing the soreness. And ultimately the reason he thinks is possibly due to a neurological problem as opposed to the foot being the problem, and that may be causing the calf to shrink.

Kind of u believable, and I am not sure he is correct. But off to see what the neurologist thinks. I do have a minor disk herniation so it is vaguely possible.

Stay tuned. I will update this in the interest of somebody else having the problem....and it still may be simple foot mechanics after all.

Old 10-07-2015, 12:56 PM   #3
gicki
(female)

gicki HB User

Punkin,

I am only 9 1/2 weeks post op, so I can not offer you information but I can wish you my best! Those darn nerves can definitely mess us up. Have you always had the toe claws or was this just since your surgery. Did it happen right away after surgery or did it come on later after your recovery?

Sending you good vibes for some answers.

Hugs

Old 10-07-2015, 01:46 PM   #4
punkin77
(female)

The toe was not a claw toe or crooked before all this surgery. If the nerve to flex the toe upwards isn't working, the tendon pulling it down will exert continual pressure. It is especially strong while sleeping, without the countering effect of the upward nerve. So my toe is shaped like a C and also turned sideways. I am hoping there is a way to uncurl it because it hurts all the time.

Old 10-07-2015, 02:06 PM   #5
gicki
(female)

gicki HB User

Punkin,

Thank you so much for explaining that to me. Was PT able to help you with this at all? I hope that you are able to get some answers from the neurologist.

Thinking of you!

Old 10-07-2015, 11:08 PM   #6
Justintime44
Veteran
(female)

Justintime44 HB UserJustintime44 HB UserJustintime44 HB UserJustintime44 HB UserJustintime44 HB UserJustintime44 HB UserJustintime44 HB UserJustintime44 HB UserJustintime44 HB UserJustintime44 HB UserJustintime44 HB User

I am very interested in your post, as I am experiencing similar issues. My second toe became a mallet toe right after surgery, and that mystery has not yet been solved. My calf is also about two inches smaller, with definite atrophy in it. The bottom of my foot has been mostly numb since surgery, and at first they thought it was related to my Sural nerve bring nicked during the surgery. I had a nerve conduction study with a neurologist in May, but he only tested my foot and ankle.

Now, five months later (and nearly 15 months since my surgery), a second doctor/opinion tested and noted that my entire calf is also numb. I didn't even realize this. So now I'm going back to have a second EMG/nerve conduction study, and the same neurologist will be testing me from the low back all the way down to my feet, both feet, for comparison purposes. I was shocked and surprised when the neurologist said, "Oh, I guess I should have tested you up higher." I was quite upset, but chose not to say anything.

The hard part is that I may have nerve damage from the popliteal block they put in my leg after surgery to manage the pain. I was in a lot of pain, do I needed that and a second saphanenous artery nerve block for 7 days. The neurologist commented last week that if the nerve was nicked and hadn't yet healed, it may never heal. On the other hand, if the anesthesiologist cut the popliteal nerve (by accident, of course), then there is a chance it could be surgically repaired and I might heal over time. My EMG is next week, so I'll see what he finds out. I need to do my best to remain positive, hoping things can still improve.

Please keep me posted as to your progress. I do take Neurontin for nerve pain, which does help. But I'm hoping they find the cause and that it can be repaired. Your foot and calf are like a puzzle they have to solve, and sometimes the answer is not always what we think it may be. Your toe pain concerns me, too. I hope they figure that out as well. I wish you good luck!

K

Old 01-12-2016, 08:16 PM   #7
gicki
(female)

gicki HB User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justintime44 View Post
I am very interested in your post, as I am experiencing similar issues. My second toe became a mallet toe right after surgery, and that mystery has not yet been solved. My calf is also about two inches smaller, with definite atrophy in it. The bottom of my foot has been mostly numb since surgery, and at first they thought it was related to my Sural nerve bring nicked during the surgery. I had a nerve conduction study with a neurologist in May, but he only tested my foot and ankle.

Now, five months later (and nearly 15 months since my surgery), a second doctor/opinion tested and noted that my entire calf is also numb. I didn't even realize this. So now I'm going back to have a second EMG/nerve conduction study, and the same neurologist will be testing me from the low back all the way down to my feet, both feet, for comparison purposes. I was shocked and surprised when the neurologist said, "Oh, I guess I should have tested you up higher." I was quite upset, but chose not to say anything.

The hard part is that I may have nerve damage from the popliteal block they put in my leg after surgery to manage the pain. I was in a lot of pain, do I needed that and a second saphanenous artery nerve block for 7 days. The neurologist commented last week that if the nerve was nicked and hadn't yet healed, it may never heal. On the other hand, if the anesthesiologist cut the popliteal nerve (by accident, of course), then there is a chance it could be surgically repaired and I might heal over time. My EMG is next week, so I'll see what he finds out. I need to do my best to remain positive, hoping things can still improve.

Please keep me posted as to your progress. I do take Neurontin for nerve pain, which does help. But I'm hoping they find the cause and that it can be repaired. Your foot and calf are like a puzzle they have to solve, and sometimes the answer is not always what we think it may be. Your toe pain concerns me, too. I hope they figure that out as well. I wish you good luck!

K
Good Evening!

I just wanted to touch base and see how everyone is doing. Did you get your results from the neurologist? I am curious how you came out as I too am having nerve issues and taking neurontin. Mine is from the sural nerve on the outside of the foot. I think I am healing as it use to be the whole length of my foot and now it is only half.

Sending healing thoughts everyone's way!

Old 01-12-2016, 11:09 PM   #8
Justintime44
Veteran
(female)

Justintime44 HB UserJustintime44 HB UserJustintime44 HB UserJustintime44 HB UserJustintime44 HB UserJustintime44 HB UserJustintime44 HB UserJustintime44 HB UserJustintime44 HB UserJustintime44 HB UserJustintime44 HB User

It sounds like you are doing well and your nerve issues are improving. The neurologist said that nerve heal about 1 mm per day or about 1 inch per month. If they are gradually improving, that is a great sign for you. I am happy for you!

Thank you for your recent post. I had a second nerve conduction study and an EMG. It showed permanent Sural nerve damage which, if it hasn't healed by now, won't heal. My leg below the knee and 2/3rds of the bottom of my foot are still numb and unchanged. The neurologist said it was too late/ too long since surgery, and thus the peripheral nerve neurosurgeon would not see me, as the condition cannot be reversed.

My regular surgeon for my foot still hopes it will improve. He thinks I have Tarsal Tunnel Syndrome and that tarsal tunnel surgery may help. I had two cortisone shots in my tarsal tunnel area three months apart-- both of which helped for 15-20 days. Much of the numbness and pain temporarily resolved but then returned when the cortisone wore off. I see him later this week for another consultation. I am concerned that this possible second surgery may cause more problems and may not be worth the risk. However, after 1.5 years, I still need to wear a CAM boot most of the day every day.

I take it one day at a time and do my best to remain positive. I have a great job and a loving family. Hopefully I won't need to hobble around the rest of my life.

Best wishes for continued healing.
K

Old 01-13-2016, 12:45 PM   #9
gicki
(female)

gicki HB User

Justintime,

I am trying to stay positive that everything will resolve and that I will get some sort of a normal life back. I am so sorry to hear about your nerve damage. I will be thinking of you for continued healing and that all will resolve.

Have you ever had hardware removed? My surgeon would like to take out all the hardware on the top of my foot and clean out the scar tissue. I have developed a keloid scar on the top of my foot from the lapidus bunionectomy and the first metatarsal fusion. How my foot feels now, I am scared for more surgery but I know having the hardware out would be better. I am having discomfort around the big toe joint. I had 6 cortisone injections along the scar about 5 weeks ago to see if it would soften up the scar tissue and help it lay flat. I go back on the 26th to see what he thinks. He said if there is no improvement he recommend scar revision and as long as he is in there he would take out the plate and screws. My bones are completely healed. He said they hardly ever take out the hardware on the side of my heel. I have 2 plates with 4 screws each from my double calcaneal osteotomy.

I knew this was a long journey but did not realize it would be this miserable.

Sending hugs to you!!!

Old 01-13-2016, 04:48 PM   #10
ginger62
Senior Veteran
(female)

ginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB User

Hey Punkin!
I remember you! I am having surgery on my other foot next week so I will be back on the boards a bit. I have nerve issues too from arthroscopic knee surgery I had (I fell out of bed the first night and landed right on my incision). One thing I found that seems to help a bit is something called "Correct Toes". It's a toe separator that I wear to bed at night under socks. It seems to help some. Ideally you wear them while weight bearing but not if you use orthotics, which I do. Maybe it would help you?

Ginger

P.S. Mods...sorry, I can't remember if it's okay to post brand names. Please let me know if it's not and I'll edit.

Old 01-13-2016, 09:57 PM   #11
Justintime44
Veteran
(female)

It is a long journey. You're just over five months out, right? I encourage you to create a new post asking about hardware removal. Many of our foot buddies have had this done. I am used to hearing about hardware removal at 9-12 months, so five months sounds a little early perhaps. But if you developed a keloid scar that bothers you or your surgeon, perhaps he/she is being proactive by taking the steps you mentioned. Please post a question titled hardware removal and learn of others' experiences.

I only have three titanium screws that don't bother me, so I think I'll have them for life. But at one year, if they had bothered me, my surgeon would have removed them. Some hardware can be very heavy and cumbersome and painful. My would healed beautifully, luckily.

I hope you continue to heal and get better each day.

K

Old 01-18-2016, 11:41 PM   #12
punkin77
(female)

I am interested in correct toes and whether they would help with my toe curling issue. It's really uncomfortable to walk on it. I do stretching every day to keep my tendons from putting extra pressure on it but at this point logically I think I need something very firm. The ortho had me get an mri but the report was pretty useless as it showed mostly that there had been surgery on the tendons. Duh.

The ortho had in mind lots of surgical procedures prior to the MRI results but I am pretty hesitant. I don't have the nerve damage some of you are reporting thankfully.

The calves problem is strange and it's not a big deal if the bad leg does not have further atrophy, but I do find it is weaker also than my other leg.

Ginger, San you tell me a little more about your experience with the toes product? How it is helping? I'm sorry you are going back in for surgery; it's so unpleasant to endure the long healing period and immobility.mdrove me flat out crazy to see dust bunnies across the room and not be able to vacuum them up.

Old 01-19-2016, 05:31 PM   #13
ginger62
Senior Veteran
(female)

ginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB User

I will PM you.

Old 02-17-2016, 11:54 PM   #14
Tranquil1920
(female)

Tranquil1920 HB User

I am new to this site. I had tendon transfer and osteotomy surgery on January 13th, which is just over a month ago. I am concerned with what I believe is severe atrophy, as my calf looks like a prune! And my cast feels like it's getting heavier every day. Is this normal? Did anyone else experience this? If so, how long did it take to regain the muscle in the calf? Thx!

Closed Thread