It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

Cheilectomy YESTERDAY -- Boot Question

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-12-2015, 01:50 PM   #1
Koorb33003
(female)

Koorb33003 HB User
Cheilectomy YESTERDAY -- Boot Question

Hi everyone,

I had a cheilectomy on my right foot yesterday -- the big toe. I have (had?) hallux limitis.

My doctor sent me home with crutches and instructed me to not use the foot at all. Entirely non-weight baring until day 10 when I see him for a post op visit. He did not give me a boot. As I read about others' experiences, it seems that most people are sent home with a surgical boot and crutches.

Any idea why I wouldn't be permitted to use a boot? I'm going to follow up with my doctor on Monday AM, but it's Saturday now and I'm confused.

Thanks for your help.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-12-2015, 02:44 PM   #2
Titchou
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: Cheilectomy YESTERDAY -- Boot Question

Every doc has their own protocol. Most will allow you to walk on it...at least on the heal. Did oyu use a podiatrist? They seem to be the ones who do not more frequently.

Old 12-12-2015, 05:06 PM   #3
Koorb33003
(female)

Koorb33003 HB User

Thanks. I used an orthopedist, not a podiatrist.

Old 12-12-2015, 10:17 PM   #4
Titchou
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

I had both big toes done as well as eventually one of them fused. In all 3 cases I had a surgical shoe and was allowed to walk out of the surgery center. I'd certainly ask why he's being so conservative.

Old 12-14-2015, 12:59 AM   #5
ManyIdeas
(male)

ManyIdeas HB User

I've had a Cheilectomy on my right toe and now OATS (Osteochondral Autograft Transfer System). When I had my Cheilectomy I had a boot with the standard sterile wrapped dressing that is to be kept on until the follow up. I couldn't walk on it, nor did I want to walk on it since the swelling got pretty intense when bring upright for than a few minutes. I could alos feel the transfer of any weight bearing as well. What I did was take the boot of in bed or when laying down and used it when I was upright. I only used the foot for "balance" but on the heel of the boot. You really should try to get a boot it acts as a place of a rest instead of directly on the foot while upright and it also wraps around the surgical area to protect it!

I am actually into my second week of my OATS (surgery date 12/4) and did the same thing as with my Cheilectomy, except there is an added challenge. A part of the OATS is they had to take cartilage from my right knee to put into my right toe joint, so there has been a lot of swelling, limited movement and weight bearing is a no go either.

Important advice, be sure you are icing your foot constantly, keep it elevated and rest as much as you can. The road to recovery really depends on it.

I wish you the best of luck.

Last edited by ManyIdeas; 12-14-2015 at 01:25 AM.

Closed Thread

Tags
cheilectomy, foot and ankle