It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

• Swelling 5 months after flat foot reconstruction

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-16-2015, 09:37 AM   #1
    gicki
    (female)

gicki HB User
    Swelling 5 months after flat foot reconstruction

I am 5 months post op flat foot surgery and bunion surgery. I am still having a lot of swelling under the ball of my foot and feel a lot of discomfort under first and second metatarsal. When I walk it feels like I have a sock bunched under my toes. Will the swelling go away? I am trying to stay hopeful and working really hard on my exercises. At this point I am regretting that I had this done.

Can anyone give me some insight on where they were with swelling after surgery.

Thanks,
    Gicki
    7-13-17 Arthrodesis MPJ, Plantar fasciotomy, Achilles’ tendon lengthening, Hardware removal
    9-21-17 Screw Removal
    7-8-19 Subtalar Fusion

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-16-2015, 06:31 PM   #2
    left foot
    Veteran
    (female)

left foot HB Userleft foot HB Userleft foot HB Userleft foot HB Userleft foot HB Userleft foot HB Userleft foot HB Userleft foot HB Userleft foot HB Userleft foot HB Userleft foot HB User
    Re: Swelling 5 months after flat food reconstruction

I'm at 6.5 months. I still get swelling & have to elevate at the end of the day, but it has decreased in the last few weeks. I think it was about this same time after my first surgery when I began to notice a difference as well. The swelling never completely went away, but by the one year mark it was very minimal.

Old 12-16-2015, 06:38 PM   #3
    Cass983
    (female)

Cass983 HB UserCass983 HB UserCass983 HB User

My Surgeon said the swelling can take up to 9 months to dissipate completely. I still sleep with it elevated and ice when necessary.

Old 12-16-2015, 06:47 PM   #4
    gicki
    (female)

gicki HB User

Left Foot & Cass,

You give me hope and that is exactly what I need. What procedures did you have done? I believe that the bunionectomy and first metatarsal fusion are giving me the most trouble. Did you experience a lot of swelling under you foot. That is where I notice it the most.

Cass, did you say the swelling will never go completely away. My surgeon said I would have swelling for 6 months, so I was hoping it would be better by now that it is. The incision on the calf and the two on the side of foot are really good, but the one on the top of foot is really bad and raised. I am working hard to try and get the incision to lay flat, but that still is a struggle as well. Had I known how hard this would be, I would of never done this. I will continue to work hard and hope that after the year mark I will be happy I had it done. My custom orthotics should be in next week and I am hopeful that will make walking a lot more comfortable. I can walk on my heels but to try and get up on the tippy toes I am still very week.

Thank you so much for making me feel fetter and hopeful for better days to come.
    7-13-17 Arthrodesis MPJ, Plantar fasciotomy, Achilles’ tendon lengthening, Hardware removal
    9-21-17 Screw Removal
    7-8-19 Subtalar Fusion

Old 12-17-2015, 05:40 PM   #5
    Cass983
    (female)

The swelling will go away. Mine is still a bit swollen but it's getting better every day. My surgeon said I could have swelling for up to 9 months but it will eventually go away. It's a long healing process and it's going to take time. (up to 18 months)

Yeah I'm praying my right foot doesn't go bad because I too don't ever want to go through this surgery again. NO WAY!!!

Just keep up with your PT exercises and don't rush it.

Keep us posted.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by gicki View Post
    Left Foot & Cass,

You give me hope and that is exactly what I need. What procedures did you have done? I believe that the bunionectomy and first metatarsal fusion are giving me the most trouble. Did you experience a lot of swelling under you foot. That is where I notice it the most.

Cass, did you say the swelling will never go completely away. My surgeon said I would have swelling for 6 months, so I was hoping it would be better by now that it is. The incision on the calf and the two on the side of foot are really good, but the one on the top of foot is really bad and raised. I am working hard to try and get the incision to lay flat, but that still is a struggle as well. Had I known how hard this would be, I would of never done this. I will continue to work hard and hope that after the year mark I will be happy I had it done. My custom orthotics should be in next week and I am hopeful that will make walking a lot more comfortable. I can walk on my heels but to try and get up on the tippy toes I am still very week.

Thank you so much for making me feel fetter and hopeful for better days to come.

The Following User Says Thank You to Cass983 For This Useful Post:
    gicki (12-18-2015)
    Old 12-17-2015, 06:20 PM   #6
    gicki
    (female)

gicki HB User

Cass,

Thank you so much! It is so nice to hear from other people who have gone and are going through the same thing I am. I know my family is tired of hearing about Frankenfoot. I only wish I would of found these boards before my surgery then I would of been more prepared. I am with you! There is no way I want to go through this again on my other foot. Here I thought labor was the worst thing a person could do through, no way Foot Surgery tops that.

I graduated from PT today and I will continue to do my exercises religiously.
    9-21-17 Screw Removal
    7-8-19 Subtalar Fusion

The following user gives a hug of support to gicki:
    Cass983 (12-18-2015)
    Old 12-18-2015, 08:54 AM   #7
    Cass983
    (female)

Yayy for graduating PT!!!! Yes keep doing the exercises. I know if I don't take the time to do it my foot doesn't feel the greatest the rest of the day.

All The Best,

Cass

Quote:
    Originally Posted by gicki View Post
    Cass,

Thank you so much! It is so nice to hear from other people who have gone and are going through the same thing I am. I know my family is tired of hearing about Frankenfoot. I only wish I would of found these boards before my surgery then I would of been more prepared. I am with you! There is no way I want to go through this again on my other foot. Here I thought labor was the worst thing a person could do through, no way Foot Surgery tops that.

I graduated from PT today and I will continue to do my exercises religiously.

Closed Thread