It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

• Revision after Double Evans Calcaneal Osteotomy Please Help!!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-05-2016, 01:29 PM   #1
    gicki
    (female)

gicki HB User
    Revision after Double Evans Calcaneal Osteotomy Please Help!!

The surgeon that did my surgery in August overcorrected and now I walking on the outside of my foot. He moved my heel over way too far. I had a evans double calcaneal osteotomy.

Has anyone had anything like this happen and if so did you have revision surgery. I also had a lapidus bunion surgery and he also got my first metetarseal too low. So much for his "Ya, I can fix You."

I am so scared and frustrated. I use to laugh and now all I do is cry!! Please help if you can.

Gicki
    7-13-17 Arthrodesis MPJ, Plantar fasciotomy, Achilles’ tendon lengthening, Hardware removal
    9-21-17 Screw Removal
    7-8-19 Subtalar Fusion

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-05-2016, 02:31 PM   #2
    FlatFootPain
    (female)

FlatFootPain HB UserFlatFootPain HB UserFlatFootPain HB UserFlatFootPain HB User
    Re: Revision after Double Evans Calcaneal Osteotomy Please Help!!

yes yes and yes. I know exactly how you feel. I had an overcorrected double calcaneal osteo and a cotton procedure that pushed the first metatarsal too far down.
    I haven't had a revision yet, but I can tell you walking on a overcorrected foot for years has destroyed my knee, hip, and back. before the surgery I had non of these pains.
    Perhaps the feeling of walking on the outside may go away? unless it is clear it is an overcorrection.... Did the surgeon admit to the overcorrection?

The Following User Says Thank You to FlatFootPain For This Useful Post:
    gicki (02-05-2016)
    Old 02-05-2016, 02:47 PM   #3
    gicki
    (female)

gicki HB User

He will never admit he did anything wrong. Everything is my fault. I had another dr. tell me he over corrected me. I am also having lower back and hip problems on top of the nerve damage I am still fighting. I am so much worse off than I was before the surgery. The only thing wrong I did was believing him that he could fix me. What a joke. I am so mad at myself for ever agreeing to have this done. On top of it I have severe anxiety that this will never get better and depression. I was starting to feel like I was the only person that this has happened to. Thank you so much letting me know that I am not alone.

So you have been living this way. Are you considering having revision done? I just do not want to make another terrible decision. Do you have nerve pain as well or did yours go away? I am just little over 6 months post op. I am afraid that I am pushing all my loved ones away. What procedure / procedures would be done to in your revision if you decide to do it?

Thank you my friend!!
    7-13-17 Arthrodesis MPJ, Plantar fasciotomy, Achilles’ tendon lengthening, Hardware removal
    9-21-17 Screw Removal
    7-8-19 Subtalar Fusion

Old 02-05-2016, 03:23 PM   #4
    FlatFootPain
    (female)

FlatFootPain HB UserFlatFootPain HB UserFlatFootPain HB UserFlatFootPain HB User

oh yes, you are speaking my language. I too suffered anxiety and depression. Its the most awful feeling. The worst part about my surgery was that it was never needed to begin with, I later found out that the tendon was only inflamed (as opposed to torn, as the surgeon said) and that simple PT would have solved all my problems. I was traumatized by the whole surgery, so I haven't had a revision yet. Its been years and I'm in pain, but i'm terrified of going under the knife again. I will eventually probably do it, but not sure when. I"m so sorry to hear you are going through this too. Good thing you are taking notice to it now. feel free to send me a private message if you want

The Following User Says Thank You to FlatFootPain For This Useful Post:
    gicki (02-06-2016)
    Old 02-05-2016, 04:58 PM   #5
    xiaojia
    (female)

xiaojia HB Userxiaojia HB User

gickie

I am so sorry you are having to go through this,,,, we had surgery around the same time so I've read your blogs and been thinking of you, this recovery is so long and hard,,, I just had achilles and calcanealsurgery so not as complicated as your surgery but still been pretty difficult,,

I thought your doc wanted to try removing the hardware? He wants to do a whole other surgery? What about your scar on the top of your foot?

My surgeon sure wasn't a man of many words,, I can't imagine if I had really had to discuss problems with him, sheesh

Hoping for your best,, keep us posted,, we are definitely all here for you.

Old 02-05-2016, 05:28 PM   #6
    gicki
    (female)

gicki HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by FlatFootPain View Post
    oh yes, you are speaking my language. I too suffered anxiety and depression. Its the most awful feeling. The worst part about my surgery was that it was never needed to begin with, I later found out that the tendon was only inflamed (as opposed to torn, as the surgeon said) and that simple PT would have solved all my problems. I was traumatized by the whole surgery, so I haven't had a revision yet. Its been years and I'm in pain, but i'm terrified of going under the knife again. I will eventually probably do it, but not sure when. I"m so sorry to hear you are going through this too. Good thing you are taking notice to it now. feel free to send me a private message if you want
    I do not think my surgery was needed either. I just had pain when I was on my foot too long. When I went to see him, he said that people who have as bad of feet as me have them fixed in their 20's and why didnt I. He said I needed to have it fixed or I would not be able to walk when I was older. Basically he scared me into having the surgery. He said that by 5 months I would feel so much better that I would want the other one fixed. What a joke. I am so sorry to hear that you have been in pain for so long. We go to the doctor expecting them to know what is best for us and when they say they can fix us, than that is what we expect to have happen, not cripple us for life. Thank you so much and I hope we all have better days ahead of us.
    9-21-17 Screw Removal
    7-8-19 Subtalar Fusion

Old 02-05-2016, 05:39 PM   #7
    gicki
    (female)

gicki HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by xiaojia View Post
    gickie

I am so sorry you are having to go through this,,,, we had surgery around the same time so I've read your blogs and been thinking of you, this recovery is so long and hard,,, I just had achilles and calcanealsurgery so not as complicated as your surgery but still been pretty difficult,,

I thought your doc wanted to try removing the hardware? He wants to do a whole other surgery? What about your scar on the top of your foot?

My surgeon sure wasn't a man of many words,, I can't imagine if I had really had to discuss problems with him, sheesh

Hoping for your best,, keep us posted,, we are definitely all here for you.
    It is so nice to hear from you again! Yes, he wanted to remove my keloid scar and take out the hardware on the top of my foot and that is what lead me to get a second opinion. The second doctor said, oh my what did he do to you. As a tear ran down my face. He said that yes it is an option to cut out the keloid and I showed him pics of my foot and said the scar is bad cuz the incision was terrible and I was not sewed up correctly and that is why I developed the keloid. At that appointment he said that he way over corrected my heel and lengthened my foot way too much and when he fixed my bunion he fused my first metatarsal way too low. He said that I could do a revision, but with that comes possible complications of more nerve damage. Right now my lower back is really bad and it is causing me to have pain down both of my legs. One thing I know for sure is the surgeon that did my surgery is never cutting on this foot again and there is no way I am getting this done to the other foot.

How are you recovering? Did you experience any nerve pain/damage? I sure hope not, as mine is bad. I am taking 1800 mg of neurontin every day to try and help. I am hopeful that the nerves will repair themselves. The whole side of my foot use to have nerve pain and now it is just half, so I am gaining as far as that is considered. Having a hard time finding any shoes that feel somewhat comfortable. What kind of shoes are you wearing and are you able to walk very far or be on your feet long.

Hope you are doing well.
    9-21-17 Screw Removal
    7-8-19 Subtalar Fusion

Closed Thread

Tags
    flat foot reconstruction, pttd, revision