It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

• PTTD First few weeks nausea, constipation, failed nerve block, PAIN, Falling on foot

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-23-2016, 04:09 PM   #1
    AKittyKat
    (female)

AKittyKat HB User
    Unhappy PTTD First few weeks nausea, constipation, failed nerve block, PAIN, Falling on foot

Im a 38 year old with ankle and foot problems all my life. I was born with flat feet and I was always spraining my ankles. I acquired PTTD/Flat Foot on my left about a year ago and finally was diagnosed by an orthopedic foot and ankle expert. He recommended surgery and after a second opinion I decided I might as well get this taken care of so that I can go back to a normal life of walking through the streets of Europe.
    I had my surgery about 2.5 weeks ago and I wanted to lend advice to those about to take on this crazy surgery. Firstly, the morning of surgery when the anesthesiologist was performing the nerve block it hurt like hell and made me even more panicked about the surgery. The relaxing medication they gave me did nothing to settle my nerves. I woke up from surgery a few hours later and I could feel all sorts of shocking pains coming from my foot. I asked if I should be feeling all the pain and they said that the nerve block failed. The anesthesiologist was busy for another hour and so I writhed in pain (crying hysterically) for the hour and vomited multiple times due to the extra anesthetic they gave me due to the failed nerve block.
    Once the new anesthesiologist came she figured out that my nerve split into two and the other guy had not seen this split. After she was finished it was completely numb and I was worn out. I was sent home. Over the next day I vomited profusely, found out that I cannot breath when I take Oxycontin, I lost balance and fell on my foot and I was taking anything I could get my hands on for constipation. I finally found the foul tasting milk of magnesia and I can now go to the bathroom every few days.
    My pain was managed by a morphine twice a day while in the splint, but now that I am in the cast my heel is killing me especially at night and the dr gave me hydrocodone which didn't touch the pain last night. Is it normal to have more pain at this point?
    When will I be fairly pain free and when will I be able to leave the house? I live in Santa Barbara and i have an ocean view so I should not be complaining but i am feeling pretty horrid and ready to get out. When I think about leaving I worry about falling again and having my throbbing leg down.
    Am I alone in all of this? Many experiences I have been reading say that after 5 days everything was hunky dory.

The following 2 users give hugs of support to: AKittyKat
    ber237 (02-24-2016),Cass983 (02-24-2016)
    Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-23-2016, 05:44 PM   #2
    DAWN537464
    (female)

DAWN537464 HB UserDAWN537464 HB UserDAWN537464 HB UserDAWN537464 HB User
    Re: PTTD First few weeks nausea, constipation, failed nerve block, PAIN, Falling on f

omg, you poor thing, you are scaring the hell out of me, as I consider what date to schedule the same surgery. Your experience so far sounds far worse than I bet you imagined, right? I can't even imagine the agony you experienced waking and suffering through all that pain for an hour! My heart goes out to you.

The Following User Says Thank You to DAWN537464 For This Useful Post:
    AKittyKat (03-05-2016)
    Old 02-23-2016, 06:42 PM   #3
    Cass983
    (female)

Cass983 HB UserCass983 HB UserCass983 HB User
    Re: PTTD First few weeks nausea, constipation, failed nerve block, PAIN, Falling on f

My experience was nothing like yours at all. I do feel for you. I can say that I did fall on my foot at about the 2 week mark but luckily I didn't damage anything. Did they not send a boot home with you? Crutches? Do you have a scooter? I had to be non-weight bearing for 6 weeks and once I was able to put the boot on after some of the swelling subsided then I wore that to protect the foot in case I fell again. It's a long recovery. I had my surgery last August and was walking by Thanksgiving. Total recovery time can take up to 18 months. Five days is very unrealistic for this type of surgery. Don't rush it. Enjoy that ocean view. . Keep us posted and ask any questions. Edited to add: Keep in mind I'm still in physical therapy and still walk with a bit of a "pimp limp". Just do everything you're supposed to do and don't do anything your not supposed to do.

Last edited by Cass983; 02-23-2016 at 06:45 PM. Reason: To add more and clarify.

Old 02-23-2016, 09:37 PM   #4
    mel g
    (female)

mel g HB Usermel g HB Usermel g HB Usermel g HB User
    Wow what a terrible op experience. The only other thing you needed was to wake up during the surgery...and it sounds like they weren't that compassionate either. Yikes! I'm also in so cal. I had my surgery at cedars about 9 months ago. Where did you do yours?
    Luckily my nerve blocks were amazing and they lasted a while. I did have the problem with the constipation and I also used mom to get things going. I would never have thought that I would be where I am now when I was 3 months, 4 months, or even 6 months out. 2.5 weeks is still in the very early and in the acute traumatic phase of it all. If you are having pain that is not controlled please make sure your doc is taking you seriously. I have read some terrible terrible horror stories of people thinking they were supposed to be in a lot of pain or didn't realize they had such a severe infection bc the meds masked it. If you can't get comfortable I would make sure your surgeon knows and maybe even go in to have them check your incisions!! Any fever?

Old 02-24-2016, 02:49 PM   #5
    AKittyKat
    (female)

AKittyKat HB User

Thanks for the concern and advice. I had my surgery done at the Santa Barbara Surgery center. When the Dr checked my incisions all was well and he said I did no damage with the fall. I have a normal temperature so there is a low chance of infection. I think I may be the unlucky one. Mentally I am having trouble with the fact that tomorrow I will be at 3 weeks and I feel ready to start PT.

Old 02-24-2016, 07:28 PM   #6
    ber237
    (female)

ber237 HB Userber237 HB User

KittyKat...I am so sorry you had such a rough experience. This surgery is certainly not for the faint of heart, but it sounds like yours was especially tough.

I have watched and read so much regarding this type of surgery and I wanted to tell you what I heard in one doctor's lecture. He said that the bones take 6 weeks to heal and the tendons take 8 weeks. With those time frames, I'm not sure how much PT you could do yet. I am under the impression that PT will start when I become partial weight bearing at approximately 6 weeks.

I am 4 weeks post op & had stitches & staples out today and a new cast put on. My foot still feels really strange and sort of numb too. They said everything looked good, but I sure thought it looked awful.

I'm really trying to be patient; but it's hard. I hope we are on the other side of this soon. Best of luck to you in your recovery!

Old 02-24-2016, 08:32 PM   #7
    Flatfoot97
    (male)

Flatfoot97 HB User

I had a horrible experience my first operation, a calcaneal osteotomy. The nurses were very non compassionate. I didn't have a nerve block or anything like that and woke up hysterically crying in agony. The nurse gave me ONE percocet and said that's all I can give you. After 40 minutes my pain had barely subsided but I told the nurse I was pain free so she would allow me to get out of that hell hole. My second surgery I was not about to go through that so I told my surgeon to promise me I wouldn't be dying in pain when I wake up. He took care of it and when I woke up I was given 30mcg of fentanyl iv which helped so much, I couldn't feel a thing. Let your surgeon know how you were treated so they can correct their mistakes. Also purchase or rent a knee walker if you haven't already. I wouldn't have lasted with crutches at all. I couldn't balance on them and fell on my foot 3 times the day of the surgery. The pain will get better through time trust me. If you are not comfortable at your pain med levels you must let your doctor know so they can be increased. For the nausea I recommend getting a script of promethazine it will greatly help. Keep drinking that nasty MOM I know it's foul but you have to get it down. The road to recovery is very long. You will not be pain FREE for up to a year but it gets easier. It will always swell if you do to much so know your limits. Keep icing and elevating, and I hope you're better soon!

Last edited by Flatfoot97; 02-24-2016 at 08:35 PM.

Old 03-03-2016, 12:15 PM   #8
    AKittyKat
    (female)

AKittyKat HB User
    Question Re: PTTD First few weeks nausea, constipation, failed nerve block, PAIN, Falling on f

Thanks for the advice! One month since my operation. Update is that I have given up all my narcotic pain medications and nausea meds. I am in pain, but I think it's worse to mess up my body with pain pills. I have been taking antacid medication and it has really helped. I am not over the rough patch with my stomach but everyday it improves. I have given in to 4 Ibuprofen at night before bed and Tylenol Pm in order to go to sleep. Also, my ice Machine has helped with the burning fiery pain. I am trying to sit more upright for most of the day so acid will not come up and with it my food. I really hope the pain will start to subside especially at night in my heel. Did you all have pain in the back of your heel? I feel like the cast is aggravating the wound and creating the problem. My doctor suggested that we move me into a boot but warned that it is more risky at this stage. Any advice? Thank YOU!

Old 03-03-2016, 05:53 PM   #9
    Annie7679
    (female)

Annie7679 HB UserAnnie7679 HB User

So sorry for your pain. It takes months, but it will get better. Now your concern has to be the healing of your bones. So you have to be in the cast all the weeks necessary to be ready for weight bearing.

Old 03-03-2016, 09:16 PM   #10
    left foot
    Veteran
    (female)

left foot HB Userleft foot HB Userleft foot HB Userleft foot HB Userleft foot HB Userleft foot HB Userleft foot HB Userleft foot HB Userleft foot HB Userleft foot HB Userleft foot HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AKittyKat View Post
    Thanks for the advice! One month since my operation. Update is that I have given up all my narcotic pain medications and nausea meds. I am in pain, but I think it's worse to mess up my body with pain pills. I have been taking antacid medication and it has really helped. I am not over the rough patch with my stomach but everyday it improves. I have given in to 4 Ibuprofen at night before bed and Tylenol Pm in order to go to sleep. Also, my ice Machine has helped with the burning fiery pain. I am trying to sit more upright for most of the day so acid will not come up and with it my food. I really hope the pain will start to subside especially at night in my heel. Did you all have pain in the back of your heel? I feel like the cast is aggravating the wound and creating the problem. My doctor suggested that we move me into a boot but warned that it is more risky at this stage. Any advice? Thank YOU!
    I had a lot of irritation in my heel with my first surgery also. When they took the splint off after the first two weeks I expected my heel to be completely rubbed raw, but it wasn't. I guess all the nerves were irritated from the swelling and pressure. It continued until after I got out of the cast at 6 weeks and into a boot. Once I was able to wash my foot and take the boot off for short periods of time, then it started feeling better and I never thought about it anymore. Hang in there. It can be rough, but this too shall pass. How many weeks are you since surgery?

Last edited by left foot; 03-03-2016 at 09:17 PM.

Old 03-05-2016, 01:11 PM   #11
    AKittyKat
    (female)

AKittyKat HB User
    Unhappy Re: PTTD First few weeks nausea, constipation, failed nerve block, PAIN, Falling on f

Quote:
    Originally Posted by left foot View Post
    I had a lot of irritation in my heel with my first surgery also. When they took the splint off after the first two weeks I expected my heel to be completely rubbed raw, but it wasn't. I guess all the nerves were irritated from the swelling and pressure. It continued until after I got out of the cast at 6 weeks and into a boot. Once I was able to wash my foot and take the boot off for short periods of time, then it started feeling better and I never thought about it anymore. Hang in there. It can be rough, but this too shall pass. How many weeks are you since surgery?

I am 4 weeks and 2 days out. Have you heard of a doughnut being placed inside a cast to keep it from rubbing? I have an appointment on Monday to see what is going on and he said I could go into a boot if I wanted, but he said it was risky.

Old 03-06-2016, 12:46 PM   #12
    Justintime44
    Veteran
    (female)

Justintime44 HB UserJustintime44 HB UserJustintime44 HB UserJustintime44 HB UserJustintime44 HB UserJustintime44 HB UserJustintime44 HB UserJustintime44 HB UserJustintime44 HB UserJustintime44 HB UserJustintime44 HB User

Yes, I've heard of a doughnut or rounded cushion being placed in the heel of the cast. I had many challenges with my casts and ended up having seven casts during the 8 weeks I was casted. The first cast didn't have enough gauze on back of my heel, causing a pressure sore that caused pain and irritation during the next 7 weeks. Also my ankle was bent more than 90 degrees, causing me searing, burning pain in my healing Achilles' tendon. The forth cast finally fixed the angle back to 90 degrees. Once my swelling started to lesson, the cast started moving and rubbing on my heel. They changed it, but the cast tech made it too high, causing pain and deep, dark bruises every time I bent my knee. Then the best cast tech crested a great cast for me.

Luckily, I had a very supportive physician who said if the cast was uncomfortable, it was medically necessary to have it changed. One of the cast techs was amaxingly creative, adding padding in my heel, padding in front of my foot were my foot bent, and even around the edge of my little toe. This extra padding as well as an appropriate angle, length and tightness all made a huge, positive difference to my foot. A good cast makes it much easier to heal, and if it doesn't feel right, ask for a new one!

I hope your recovery continues to improve over time. The first month sounded very, very difficult and painful. My heart and positive thoughts go out to you. Hopefully, that beautiful ocean view of yours is looking better each day.

K

May 2016 - Tarsal Tunnel Release surgery
    July 2014 - Talonavicular Fusion and Achilles Tendon Lengthening, same foot

Old 03-11-2016, 04:43 PM   #13
    AKittyKat
    (female)

AKittyKat HB User

Update: I moved from the boot into a cast today and I am feeling pretty good. He placed more padding at the heel and the cast feels so cool and light. 3 more weeks until it's off and PT begins!

Old 03-19-2016, 08:56 AM   #14
    leeback
    (female)

leeback HB User

Nights are the worst for that heel pain, and my medication made it hard to sleep. I started listening to a hypnosis tape on pain control right before bed, and I've been sleeping through the night.

Old 03-20-2016, 01:12 AM   #15
    AKittyKat
    (female)

AKittyKat HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by leeback View Post
    Nights are the worst for that heel pain, and my medication made it hard to sleep. I started listening to a hypnosis tape on pain control right before bed, and I've been sleeping through the night.

Thanks for the advice...its 12:00am and I am still up with pain but I refuse to take the heavy meds. What is the name of the meditation you use?

Closed Thread

Tags
    flat foot, pttd