It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

• Rheumatoid and foot surgery

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 03-14-2016, 03:05 PM   #1
    RA fighter
    (female)

RA fighter HB User
    Thumbs down Rheumatoid and foot surgery

Hello

I am new to the health boards but am looking for people who have had, or may have surgery on the foot. I
    My Right foot is a mess. I can only wear tennis shoes now which I hate. Walking is even painful with those on lately. My foot severely pronates and is completely flat. My surgery option is ... correction planovalgus with hindfoot midfoot fusion, calcaneal osteotomy, ankle ligament reconstruction, possible midfoot osteotomy, ankle arthroscopy, posterior release.

Has anyone had this and what is your experience with it.

Thank you

Last edited by RA fighter; 03-14-2016 at 03:10 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-14-2016, 07:00 PM   #2
    islandbeachgirl
    (female)

islandbeachgirl HB Userislandbeachgirl HB Userislandbeachgirl HB Userislandbeachgirl HB User
    Re: Rheumatoid and foot surgery

RA fighter,
    Welcome! I had a tendon repair , tendon transfer and calcaneal osteotomy surgery four weeks ago. It is a very long recovery and is quite painful for the first week.. You will need lots of help for the first 2 weeks. I have just started back to work this week. Thought I would go back after two weeks but that wasn't happening. I am too early in the recovery process to know if it was worth it but so far I say yes. I still have to elevate my feet above my heart for several hours a day. They swell a lot. There are lots of great ideas and advice on this site. Hope this helps.
    Islandbeachgirl

The Following User Says Thank You to islandbeachgirl For This Useful Post:
    RA fighter (03-17-2016)
    Old 03-17-2016, 01:54 PM   #3
    RA fighter
    (female)

RA fighter HB User

Island Girl

Do you have RA? What caused the problems with your foot. Do you have a photo of your foot before surgery? Was your foot flat? How long was your foot in that condition? Sorry about all the questions. Oh and how are you doing this week?

Last edited by RA fighter; 03-17-2016 at 01:54 PM. Reason: add

Old 05-27-2016, 01:40 AM   #4
    islandbeachgirl
    (female)

islandbeachgirl HB Userislandbeachgirl HB Userislandbeachgirl HB Userislandbeachgirl HB User

RA, sorry I jut saw this post. I do not have RA. I am flat footed. Left worse than right. My real damage to tendon was done 8 years ago due to a bad sprain. I twisted it again this past summer and that tore my tibial tendon. I am 14 weeks post op and still walking very slowly with cane. Some good days, some bad. My recovery took a lot longer than planned as I couldn't get into PT too many patients not enough help....but even with these set backs I am glad had the surgery. How are you doing?

Old 09-07-2016, 07:48 AM   #5
    RA fighter
    (female)

RA fighter HB User

How are you doing Island Beach Girl?

Old 09-09-2016, 12:54 AM   #6
    islandbeachgirl
    (female)

Hi RA fighter,
    Thanks for asking. I have had a couple really tough days. Bed rest, toes above nose and icing for 72 hours, due to working too many hours. Pain went back to where it was post surgery. Got really depressed after that episode but now I feel like I am turning a corner. I still have aches and pains and of course swelling and a slight limp but everyday my gait gets stronger. This recovery is way more intense and extensive than I ever could comprehend. My surgeon scheduled me for 6-8 weeks of PT 2x/week and I have 3 more weeks till I will be discharged. I am almost 7 months post-op and thought I would be normal by 3months according to surgeon. My scars are looking great though can hardly even see them so that is good news. So enough about me. How are you doing?

Old 09-09-2016, 11:17 AM   #7
    RA fighter
    (female)

RA fighter HB User

I am ok. Contemplating surgery. Did you have an injury?

Old 09-10-2016, 05:37 PM   #8
    islandbeachgirl
    (female)

I think you are wise not to rush into this surgery. It is a very painful and LONG recovery. Even though I still am limited in my activities I am glad I had the surgery. I know I will get better with time. If the pain becomes unbearable to walk you will probably want to have surgery but only you will know when time is right. If you do decide to go through with be real by thinking it will be a full year before you are back to "normal". My continues fun worsened after spraining my ankle years ago and then twisting it a year ago. But I always had flat feet that pronated. Let me know what you decide.

Reply Reply

Tags
    ankle ligament reconstruction recovery, calcaneal osteotomy, flat feet, foot fusion surgery