It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

• RA and foot/ankle surgery

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-22-2016, 07:21 PM   #1
    RA fighter
    (female)

RA fighter HB User
    RA and foot/ankle surgery

As I am reading about all the foot surgeries I have to wonder if most of you have rheumatoid arthritis. A foot surgeon is recommending... correction planovalgus with hindfoot midfoot fusion, calcaneal osteotomy, ankle ligament reconstruction, possible midfoot osteotomy, ankle arthroscopy, posterior release. My foot is a mushy flat pronating mess. Cant wear any nice shoes. Anyone here have RA and foot surgery?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-22-2016, 11:30 PM   #2
    mel g
    (female)

mel g HB Usermel g HB Usermel g HB Usermel g HB User
    I had flat foot surgery almost a year ago and about 5 months ago I started to feel like crap. I also have a history of pathology in other joints. Some are just painful. Some I've had surgery on for various things. Anyway my hands started to really bother me so I finally went to see a rheumatologist (it had been recommended to me in the past but I never went). My blood work has come back with a positive Ana, elevated RA factor, one of my immunoglobulins and also the ssa antibody. I think for now the doctor is calling it an undifferentiated mixed connective tissue disorder bc I think I'm still considered subacute. I had a delayed union at my graft site but I'm doing ok. I have read of others on different forums who had a terrible recovery or non-unions most likely due to autoimmune issue and/or not stopping meds early enough.

The Following User Says Thank You to mel g For This Useful Post:
    RA fighter (03-23-2016)
    Old 03-23-2016, 01:07 PM   #3
    Peach86
    (female)

Peach86 HB UserPeach86 HB UserPeach86 HB UserPeach86 HB UserPeach86 HB UserPeach86 HB UserPeach86 HB UserPeach86 HB UserPeach86 HB UserPeach86 HB UserPeach86 HB User
    Re: RA and foot/ankle surgery

I don't have RA, but I was diagnosed with a seronegative inflammatory arthritis earlier this year (psoriatic/ankylosing spondylitis)...I don't know if it caused my foot problems, but it certainly seems like it could have at least been a contributing factor.

The Following User Says Thank You to Peach86 For This Useful Post:
    RA fighter (03-23-2016)
    Old 06-27-2016, 10:00 PM   #4
    mel g
    (female)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by RA fighter View Post
    As I am reading about all the foot surgeries I have to wonder if most of you have rheumatoid arthritis. A foot surgeon is recommending... correction planovalgus with hindfoot midfoot fusion, calcaneal osteotomy, ankle ligament reconstruction, possible midfoot osteotomy, ankle arthroscopy, posterior release. My foot is a mushy flat pronating mess. Cant wear any nice shoes. Anyone here have RA and foot surgery?
    I did! I had flatfoot reconstruction a year and a couple of months ago and I am newly diagnosed with RA. But mine is not very advanced.

Old 06-28-2016, 01:25 PM   #5
    danabarb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

danabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by RA fighter View Post
    Any doctor who recommends all that surgery, I would run away from as fast as possible!! Years ago, I was fitted to orthotics because my feet were so flat and all they did was make the muscles much, much weaker. I did have bunion surgery and had I known then what I know now, I never would have let the surgeon near me. Many years later, my feet started getting bad again and I was afraid I was in for another surgery. My ankles were so weak that my feet were rolling in. To cut a story short, I found a man who has worked and worked with me and I now have a beautiful arches and toes are much straighter. Look up strengthening exercises on the Internet and work like like doing them or find someone who specializes in this and you may not need all that. It's common to have these problems because of weakness in hips, legs, ankles and feet. In my experience surgery is not the answer nor are orthotics. l would stay clear of any podiatrist or orthopedic doctor that suggests cutting .

Last edited by Administrator; 06-29-2016 at 07:09 AM.

Old 06-28-2016, 05:08 PM   #6
    RA fighter
    (female)

RA fighter HB User

My feet and ankles are very damaged from rheumatoid arthritis. It's not just flat feet.

Last edited by Administrator; 06-29-2016 at 07:14 AM.

Old 06-28-2016, 09:15 PM   #7
    mel g
    (female)

Get different doctor opinions to decide is best for you! I had an extra bone running through a bad tendon and it was never going to reattach bc it was connected by cartilage not bone. It had to be removed if I wanted any chance to regain function and strength. My foot is more stable but I still have a lot of pain and swelling from the autoimmune stuff. I have other tendons that have cysts from being chronically inflamed. Do you have any issue with that? Chronic tendonitis or cysts in any tendons?

Last edited by Administrator; 06-29-2016 at 07:10 AM.

The Following User Says Thank You to mel g For This Useful Post:
    RA fighter (06-29-2016)
    Closed Thread

Tags
    calcaneal osteotomy, flat foot reconstruction, rheumatoid arthritis