It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

• Peroneal Tendon Surgery - How much time to plan to be out of work?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-05-2016, 10:17 PM   #1
    EskiLvr
    (female)

EskiLvr HB User
    Peroneal Tendon Surgery - How much time to plan to be out of work?

The ironic thing about me asking for feedback is that I just *had* peroneal tendon surgery on my left foot 3.5 years ago.

Now I'm waiting on results from an MRI. Ortho asked me flat out if there were good or bad dates for surgery yesterday, so I know what I should be anticipating. I've gone through PT for 6 weeks already, and the pain, bruising, and swelling aren't getting any better (if anything, they're worse).

Here's my conundrum: last time around, I didn't have the luxury of choosing to wait to have surgery, and I was in the middle of a major implementation - so I rushed back to work. Went back to work full time from my couch 8 days post-op, and I can honestly say that I barely remember anything that happened that whole week. Wound up working from home for the next two weeks after that (transitioned into my cast by that point from a splint) as well, because my foot wasn't tolerating the long drive into my office in the cast.

For those of you who have had Peroneal (or ATFL - that's a potential issue he's looking at in addition to the Peroneals) work done: how long did you take off of work post-op? I'm an analyst by trade, so I do have a desk job - but I have to be able to think clearly and make sense out of lots of data. I'm thinking 2 weeks this go round - am I nuts for thinking that's doable?

Thanks for your feedback.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-06-2016, 07:46 AM   #2
    willoween
    (female)

willoween HB Userwilloween HB User
    Re: Peroneal Tendon Surgery - How much time to plan to be out of work?

I also have a desk job. I was off two weeks. And for those two weeks, I elevated all the time. I think this helped tremendously with the swelling and pain later on. I was also able to get off the percocet within 6 days. So I had another week to get all those pain meds worked out of my system.

When I went back, I started at 4 hours a day for one week, then 6 hours for a week, then back to 8 hours. I will say that I was ready to go home that first week at 4 hours. I was tired and I needed to elevate. I could elevate at work somewhat, but not as well as at home.

Old 04-06-2016, 09:50 AM   #3
    britin
    (female)

britin HB User

I had my surgery at the end of January and I am not given the all clear to go back to work till the beginning of May. I have to be on my feet all the time at work though so it is a bit different. Kind of wishing I had a desk job now though.

Well wishes.

Old 04-07-2016, 02:16 AM   #4
    dama
    Veteran
    (male)

dama HB Userdama HB Userdama HB Userdama HB Userdama HB Userdama HB Userdama HB User

i had my surgery and life revolved around it and getting better with months of pt so its hard for me to relate.

i quit the pain meds at 2 weeks post op and was very surprised to find that was doable but 95% of the time around the house i was using RICE

i wasn't even able to put my bare foot down on the ground for a month post op, it would flush and swell and hurt too much.

i had an anatomical repair luckily with all my damages using my own parts.

i went from splint early on to the boot and started walking on it just around the house after 3 weeks. i was able to get around for extended periods weeks after that but would definately get fatigued and needed to be carefull.

i say why not use crutches or better yet a wheelchair to keep you safe and mobile at work.

for me the rice was definately a must to keep pain down. i did not have a pleasant experience trying to use the computer at 2 weeks with my foot and boot raised a bit to the side or in front of me. i definately had to keep going back to lying down with the ice. when i look back and think about doing a full shift like you are talking about i would be scared and could see the pain and throbbing stopping me.

even at a month after surgery for me after walking in boot for a while, if i took it off and layed my foot down it would swell too much.

everybody is different though. for me the boot contained the swelling and kept my foot safe which was real nice. i think the early walking helped me.

i don't know about the pain meds after the narcotics, i think some are frowned upon for healing of tissue after repairs so talk to your doctor about that.

if you can't get an ice pack directly over area, take a few and rotate them if possible and put under your knee every hour or so. take an ice chest full of them if you don't have a freezer at work.

my gut says go with the wheelchair to stay safe, do the other stuff i mentioned and hopefully you can try things out. if i were in your shoes and the doc let me try i would probably be trying to tough it out as well and i'd imagine you will get through it ok, although i don't think neglecting swelling is best for your recovery. talked to lots of people in pt with worse situations and i think allot of people are used to rushing back to work, etc.

i never got a cast so don't understand how all that works compared to the boot and of course if your doc will let you walk on it and when.

Old 04-07-2016, 07:51 PM   #5
    EskiLvr
    (female)

EskiLvr HB User
    Thanks for the feedback...

MRI results came back today - I've done a number on this one (which is not really a surprise). ATFL is torn, retinaculum is torn, and the peroneals have swelling (which is funny, because it wasn't anywhere close to being as swollen as it can be when I had the MRI done), indicating likely damage present there as well.

Ortho confirmed it will be the same protocol for post-op as last time: 4 weeks NWB (Splint Wee 1, New Splint Week 2, Cast Weeks 3 and 4), then a CAM walker for 4 weeks, followed by a full time ASO for 4 weeks - and *then* he lets me start PT. I had been thinking about asking for 2 weeks off - your feedback just confirmed that for me. I may also arrange to work in office half day and from home half day for the first couple of weeks back - I can get decent elevation going in my home office (had lots of issues with swelling the last go round - I got good at finding creative ways to make a ticked off ankle happier.) I'll have a knee scooter rented until I ditch the CAM walker. We have four dogs - it's a lot easier for me to use that around them than crutches... ;-)

Thanks again!

Old 05-06-2016, 11:44 AM   #6
    NCgirl96
    (female)

NCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB User

I took a week off, then worked part time (half days) the second week. That said, I work from home, so it's easier for me to keep it elevated while I'm working. I can prop a whole bunch of pillows on the sofa, throw my leg up on it, and sit with my laptop relatively comfortably. If I needed to go into the office, I would likely have taken a full two. Like you, I work a desk job, but i need to be able to think clearly, so for me as long as I can keep it comfortably elevated, it's more about how long I need pain meds for. I cannot function or think clearly with prescription pain meds, so I tried to plan it so I didn't have to work until I was done with the pain meds, at least during the day.

Old 05-09-2016, 02:41 PM   #7
    Mombyrd
    (female)

Mombyrd HB User

I read these replies and have to say THANK YOU to you all....
    I am scheduled for an AFTL repair AND a microfracture of my right ankle.

I plan to take 2 weeks off...I work at a desk at home...I need to have my head clear of the pain meds to function.

I'm feeling more comfortable now, reading that 2 weeks is the "norm" for desk work. It was suggested to me to return to work for 4 hours for a week to help adjust to the cast and swelling so we will have to see how that works out...

Closed Thread

Tags
    atfl, peroneal tendon