It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

• Partial weight bearing - Your experience - Thanks for the help. PTTD/FLAT FOOT

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-07-2016, 03:09 PM   #1
    AKittyKat
    (female)

AKittyKat HB User
    Partial weight bearing - Your experience - Thanks for the help. PTTD/FLAT FOOT

I am recovering from PTTD surgery and I started PT this last week on week 8. My PT has me hold my foot on a scale reaching 30 pounds for 20 seconds with repeating 5-10 times and then he wants me PTB as much as possible during the day. When i am holding my foot down it feels like my foot is in a VICE! No sharp pain but a horrible squeezing pain. Is this normal in your experience. It is also really exhausting to PWB with my walker and i know I am not meeting my quota for the day. I really want to be FWB so should I suck it up and push myself past the vice pain? How long did this pain last, and what about 60 pounds!? I am supposed to go up next week! Please help and thank you for your comments.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-07-2016, 11:20 PM   #2
    ber237
    (female)

ber237 HB Userber237 HB User
    Re: Partial weight bearing - Your experience - Thanks for the help. PTTD/FLAT FOOT

I used a walker while I was in a cast, and my knee scooter around the house. I found crutches much easier to use when I went to PWB in a boot.
    I got my cast off and went in a boot at 7 weeks (PT started at 8 weeks). I was told I could bear weight as tolerated. I put my foot on the scale at home and could get up to about 45lbs. within a few days. That's what I worked toward while walking with crutches. It does hurt, but it seems to ease up as time goes by. By the next week, I could put about 80 lbs. on it. I'm now 10.5 weeks post op and working at using one crutch. When I bear more weight, I have pain where the peroneal tendon repair is (outside of ankle) and in my heel. I am a little discouraged that I'm having a hard time going to one crutch. I think once you get to one crutch you are nearly to FWB. I do feel like my range of motion and strength are improving. I just keep reminding myself that it takes a long time.

Hang in there. Wishing you all the best healing!

Closed Thread