It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

• Ankle Fracture not healing? :(

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-20-2016, 06:48 PM   #1
    kmutafov
    (male)

kmutafov HB User
    Unhappy Ankle Fracture not healing? :(

Hi there,

I'm looking for opinions online.

Approximately 7 and a half weeks ago, I was rock climbing, and fell 15 feet from a route, onto my ankles. My right ankle landed on flat ground, and it was fine, but my left ankle landed on a rock at 45 degrees, and rolled inwards.

I went to hospital, got X-rays. They told me it was a 'horrific sprain' and sent me home.

Two days later, I go into doctor to get a double-check, and sure enough, he says they misread it, and it's a medial malleolus avulsion fracture.

I am put in a removable air cast, and told not to weight bear for the first 3 weeks. It's torture, because I am a competitive athlete, but I stay off of it, and keep my cast on, except when I sleep. I elevate it, ice it. Didn't take anti-inflammatory pills cause I read they interfere with bone growth.

X-ray at 3 weeks showed no signs of healing. I am told that I can start light walking with the aircast on. I did walk quite a bit with the aircast on, but it was never painful. I go in once for physio, and some simple massages and ultrasound are done.

At 6 weeks, I get another X-ray, and it shows no signs of healing. My doctor says it is most likely a nonunion. My question is WHY??? I am healthy, active, have a great diet, taking calcium supplements.

Now, after 7 and a half weeks, it's still swollen and somewhat painful when I walk on it.

I have been left with some options here. I am doing physio where I do ankle stretches and exercises. I am told I will be referred to an orthopedic surgeon who specializes in this kind of stuff, and can examine my ankle for the possibility of putting a pin in it. But I'm just wondering WHY it isn't healing. Is it anything I did wrong? Very bummed out about this situation - I want to return to running marathons as soon as I can.

Please, if anyone has any input...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-21-2016, 01:35 PM   #2
    Mycats
    (female)

Mycats HB UserMycats HB UserMycats HB User
    Re: Ankle Fracture not healing? :(

I had a medial malleolus avulsion fracture, that was originally diagnosed as a bad sprain. It did not heal after 10 weeks and needed to have surgery to fix it.
    You did nothing wrong, I was told this is common due to lack of blood flow in that area. Hope you get better soon.

Old 04-22-2016, 02:11 PM   #3
    kmutafov
    (male)

kmutafov HB User

Hi there,

thanks for your reply.

How is your ankle now after surgery??

Last edited by kmutafov; 04-22-2016 at 02:11 PM.

Old 04-22-2016, 07:35 PM   #4
    Mycats
    (female)

While other problems arose in my ankle that required more surgeries, four in two years, the medial mallelous fracture has healed nicely and has not had a problem.
    I had a Chrisman Snook procedure in January to fix my ligaments and it seems so far the ankle is stable.

Old 04-22-2016, 08:19 PM   #5
    kmutafov
    (male)

kmutafov HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mycats View Post
    While other problems arose in my ankle that required more surgeries, four in two years, the medial mallelous fracture has healed nicely and has not had a problem.
    I had a Chrisman Snook procedure in January to fix my ligaments and it seems so far the ankle is stable.

When you say 'other problems' are you referring to ligament damage, and was the ligament damage part of the original fracture?

Old 04-22-2016, 09:42 PM   #6
    Mycats
    (female)

*I had a bromstrom to fix ligaments which have been damaged from years of sprains, during original medial mallelous fracture surgery. I was feeling good until, I stepped in pot hole and ended up with talar dome and distal tibia fractures, but ligaments were fine. This was healing nice until I was getting in a car and the driver moved the car and my ankle turned rupturing ligaments, bromstrom revision this time. But the ankle never felt good was in constant pain, i had developed a stress reaction in distal tibia. I got 3 more opions about the ankle but no answers except it needs time to heal and its just pain from scar tissue. After six months I was taking a step up and felt awful pain, ankle was loose again. OS decided to do a Chrisman snook this time and when he went in, found totally shot ligaments and a significant tear in the peroneal brevious tendon which never showed up on any of the MRIs I had done. It did not need to be repaired since he was splitting the tendon and was able to incorporate the tear into split.

Closed Thread

Tags
    ankle, avulsion, fracture, medial, nonunion