It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

• PTTD 5 months with lots of ankle pain

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 06-27-2016, 01:19 PM   #1
    AKittyKat
    (female)

AKittyKat HB User
    PTTD 5 months with lots of ankle pain

I am coming on 5 months after a Posterior Tendon Transfer. I am unable to walk very far without lots of limping pain and it mostly resides in my inside ankle and sometimes the outside ankle. I am starting to wear an ankle brace when I go out but it still really hurts. The operation did somewhat fix my deformity (ankle jetting out), but it still has a bit of a deformity. My DR says everything is surgically fine but I am wondering how long this ankle pain will last. I am going back to teaching in August and I am terrified of the pain and limping. Is anyone in the same boat? My heel has minimal pain and I am very grateful for that, but I am ready to start walking normally.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-28-2016, 06:03 AM   #2
    connie1962
    (female)

connie1962 HB User
    Re: PTTD 5 months with lots of ankle pain

I to had the same surgery May 26th. So I'm only 1 month into recovery. I'm not weigh bearing yet. I do have a surgical boot. I go back to doctor tomorrow to see whats next. I'm also a teacher and need to be walking by the end of August if not before. I've been moved to a new school building within our district, so I need to set it all up before Sept 8 when we start school. Before my surgery I was told it will take a long time to recover. He even said that I will most likely be wearing my ankle brace. the same one I wore for nearly a year prior to surgery. It was the only way I could stand for more than 4 hours. Teaching is not my only job, I also work at a local grocery store. There I'm only my feet for 4-8 hours. This was the worst.
    Right now I'm just relaxing, icing, since i can't do much else.
    When you started PT what did they do in the beginning. This is the part of my recovery I'm most worried about.

Old 06-28-2016, 10:00 AM   #3
    AKittyKat
    (female)

AKittyKat HB User

Connie,
    I am a little worried about you going back so soon. Hopefully you will be ahead of the curve and in minimal pain. The PT was tough for me. My tendon was not ready to do anything. I would highly recommend PT in a pool. Mine is heated to 90 degrees and I have been getting a great deal of benefit from the pool exercises. You are going to be ready to start PT so you can feel progress. It's a terrifying process and I am still terrified.

Old 06-29-2016, 04:21 PM   #4
    connie1962
    (female)

connie1962 HB User

Well I had my 5 week appointment today. doctor said that I'm healing very good. He even said I'm ahead of most. Said my scar looks better than those in their 20's. Still can't walk on it yet. Go back in 3 weeks. then he will have me start light weight walking.
    I'm going to have to look into pool exercises when I'm told I can start PT. We don't have one at home but there is a school run aquatic center close by. I have to see what they offer. He found and took out a few more stitches- ouch that hurt, and pulled some of the dead skin away for incision area. He told me I can now rub Merdima (sp?) cream on it once a day.

Old 06-29-2016, 05:11 PM   #5
    Peach86
    (female)

Peach86 HB UserPeach86 HB UserPeach86 HB UserPeach86 HB UserPeach86 HB UserPeach86 HB UserPeach86 HB UserPeach86 HB UserPeach86 HB UserPeach86 HB UserPeach86 HB User

I started PT at 6 weeks post op after both my surgeries...I began with ROM exercises then slowly added weight bearing and strengthening exercises. My therapist used an AlterG antigravity treadmill to help with the transition to weight bearing and then to running. The recovery is long and there will be many ups and downs...It helps to measure progress on a weekly (not daily) basis

November 2014
    Left PTTD Reconstruction - same procedures

The Following User Says Thank You to Peach86 For This Useful Post:
    AKittyKat (06-30-2016)
    Old 06-30-2016, 03:42 AM   #6
    connie1962
    (female)

connie1962 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Peach86 View Post
    I started PT at 6 weeks post op after both my surgeries...I began with ROM exercises then slowly added weight bearing and strengthening exercises. My therapist used an AlterG antigravity treadmill to help with the transition to weight bearing and then to running. The recovery is long and there will be many ups and downs...It helps to measure progress on a weekly (not daily) basis

My doctor said he won't start me on any PT until after 7 weeks. I go back for my next visit will be at my 8 weeks post op.

Reply Reply

Tags
    flat foot recovery, flat foot surgery, pttd