It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

• sesamoidectomy recovery--what is too much swelling?

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 07-14-2016, 09:20 PM   #1
    sillybaer
    (female)

sillybaer HB User
    sesamoidectomy recovery--what is too much swelling?

I had a sesamoidectomy 7 weeks ago. Prior to surgery everything I read was about 4 weeks and I would be back at work. My doctor wanted me on modified duty for weeks 5-8 because I'm on my fee a lot. So we (work, doctor, me) ended up deciding that I would just be off for 8 weeks. I'm supposed to go back to work next Thursday.
    I'm worried that I won't be ready so I'm wondering about others experiences post-sesamoidectomy

Starting week 4-5 I've been periodically going out of the house to do something but usually somewhere I can prop my foot up most of the time. (So sitting at a friend's house instead of my own, going to my mom's birthday party, going to a park but sitting on bench with my foot up the whole time, or going with my husband to drop my kids off somewhere but coming right back home.) Up until this week there has always been some swelling when I'm up and about but I put it up and ice it when I get home and it's been pretty much fine by bedtime.
    Last week I even drove myself to the dentist in a regular shoe. It wasn't comfortable but I did okay.
    This week I had a hair appointment. I suppose it's somewhat of a testimony that I'm doing better but I forgot to take my ibuprofen before leaving in the morning. And I was already too far into the appointment when I realized why driving was so much more painful than last week for me just to cancel and go home. (And of course no one had ibuprofen in their purse.) My foot was throbbing by the time I left so badly as my hair sylist was finishing, I was really worried about driving home. It hurt but I could drive safely.
    I took medication as soon as I got home and kept it up for the rest of the night. Yesterday morning it was still swollen. I called my doctor and the nurse relayed that it was probably just too much activity, but other than forgetting the ibuprofen it was less or the same activity than I've done before. I did feel much better by last night.
    I had promised my kids I would take them to an activity today. They had to have an adult present but I could just sit with my foot mostly up. It's really swollen again tonight. I'm hoping resting it a few days will help but now I'm really worried about trying to go back to work in a week.

I see other people talking about mild excercise/walking by this point post-op. Last week I felt fine increasing activity but this week I'm scared to do much of anything. Did you have a lot of swelling when you started activity/walking? My doctor keeps telling me that I need to watch for swelling and take it easy. But the only exact barometer he's given me is if my toe is harder to bend at night when I do range of motion exercises. So far even with the swelling, I haven't had trouble with the range of motion at the end of the night. My doctor is vary "well it just depends on you and how much swelling you have" about anything I ask him if I can do. So it makes it hard for me to figure out when I'm pushing myself too far and what's just a normal part of recovery.

I guess I'm hoping you all will say, that the swelling basically went away overnight and suddenly it was just occasional. But I would love to hear where other people were at 7-8 weeks after a sesamoidectomy and how long until you could be on your feet for a while without feeling like you needed the next day off.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-15-2016, 10:02 PM   #2
    Lje40
    (female)

Lje40 HB User
    Re: sesamoidectomy recovery--what is too much swelling?

Hello sillybaer...
    I had a fibular sesamoidectomy June 8th and I am at about 6 weeks now and know just what you are saying.
    I have not been able to do much of anything but sit or lay around with my foot propped up. But I can't say that, that is even comfortable. My foot aches constantly and I am having a tough time sleeping through the night. The pressure from swelling can drive me nuts.
    I would suggest you make a call to your doctor and let them know about your swelling.
    Last week I was having severe swelling and ended up back in doctors office right away. Mind you, I have a rare autoimmune disease which is causing a slower recovery. But the doctor ended up having to open my incision and get my foot to drain. By the time he was done my foot looked normal he said. Now a week later and doctor talking about going back in for surgery next week.
    I work for school district and need to be back to work August 18th....doubt that will happen especially with another surgery.
    Don't wait too long to contact your doctor and talk with him about your concerns.

Last edited by Lje40; 07-15-2016 at 10:27 PM.

Reply Reply