It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

• How long out of work?

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 08-10-2016, 10:41 AM   #1
    newt2456
    (female)

newt2456 HB User
    How long out of work?

Since I understand time off work has many variables: procedure, doctors orders, complications, type of work. I'd just like to get a general consensus as to what type of procedure you had, how long you were out of work and type of work (desk vs. walking a lot). Thanks so much and happy healing!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-10-2016, 12:08 PM   #2
    keri445
    (female)

keri445 HB Userkeri445 HB User
    I have had 2 ankle surgeries. Brostrom and scope in 2014 and lateral ligament reconstruction w/ cadaver tendon this year. Both surgeries I was not able to walk without crutches until about 8 weeks out. It made things very difficult.

I was only 15 and 17 when I had my surgeries so even though I told my surgeon I had a job I don't think she really understood how involved I was with it and didn't give me any direct restrictions for it. Ive been a dance and gymnastics instructor since I was 13 and I returned to work 1 week post op for both of my surgeries. My job involves lots of demonstrating, spotting girls on advanced skills and walking/standing. It was very hard for me to go back that soon. I had to choreograph dances while showing them what to do on my knees. There is 3 sets of steps to get from studio A to studio B that I had to crutch up and down 5 times a day. I had to spot and lift 100+ lbs girls while the did a back tuck as I was on my knee. I wish I would have limited myself more or took off until I was able to walk again, but with my job it's not really an option to take 8 weeks off.

So make sure that you are not pushing yourself into work too soon. Good luck

Old 08-10-2016, 02:30 PM   #3
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
    Re: How long out of work?

2 cheilectomies - 5 days each
    1 Morton Neruoma - 1 day
    Big Toe Fusion -2 weeks
    Removal of hardware from big toe fusion - 3 days

All were weight bearing from day 1

Old 08-11-2016, 05:41 PM   #4
    dama
    Veteran
    (male)

dama HB Userdama HB Userdama HB Userdama HB Userdama HB Userdama HB Userdama HB User

my surgery is in my sig. i had a very physical job so i took advantage of a couple months of physical therapy and didn't try and break myself back into that work for about 6 months i think. maybe i could have went back sooner but the process had me freaked out and even with rehab it took me time to get confidence back and it was very obvious i needed to work on proprioception the most and i was still making improvements at a year post op.

if i look back at the recovery part, i think people can do amazing things if they had to. for me i had tons of swelling if i put my foot down even a month post op, yet i was put in a walking boot rather soon and walking just around the house at a few weeks post op when i started therapy. the boot made me feel safe and kept swelling down. they took my pain pills away at 2 weeks post op.

if i had a desk job and would have been able to raise my leg on something i would imagine i could have worked a desk job at a month post op. could have driven as well if it wasn't for my right foot being hurt.

at home i had the luxury of taking breaks and icing, but i was up walking around a bit every hour. they have knee scooters with a basket so you could even get around with your own food containers, etc. if need be. you could take crutches if you needed to as well but i was fully capable at that point to get around and control my body no problem.

Old 08-12-2016, 09:38 AM   #5
    newt2456
    (female)

newt2456 HB User

Thank you all - this is definitely starting to give me a good perspective on what to expect. I do have a desk job but do have to drive 30+ min and walk quite a bit from my car - even with handicapped!! Then get into the building, walk to the elevator, up to the 3rd floor and across a long hallway to my desk! Whew! I am also a little nervous because I'm having my surgery end October (I think) so it'll be right about the time the cold hits and the snow falls here in Buffalo and not looking forward to crutches or knee scooter and ice. I might just take my sweet time coming back to work

Procedure: modified mcbride bunionectomy, proximal metatarsal osteotomy, left ankle ligament reconstruction (using Brostrom), explore/debride peroneal tendon, repair if torn; arthroscopy of joint

Old 08-15-2016, 05:42 PM   #6
    SheltiePupMom
    (female)

SheltiePupMom HB User

Hi newt2456 - I am now 2.5 weeks post-op from flat foot reconstruction and have been able to wean myself off pain meds during the day. Oddly I am still having quite a bit of discomfort at night. My point to share is that I have an arrangement to work from home. Is there a chance you could ask about working remotely? I had my surgery on 7/28 and actually started back to work from my bed today (8/15)! I am taking it slowly - only half days for now. I have 4 weeks ahead of me in a cast NWB before moving to the cam walker. I anticipate the challenge of PT and am fortunate that my "desk job" can be done wherever my laptop is. Check into it. Remember - you don't get anything unless you ask. You never know! Whatever you do - get a scooter. It will be your best friend. I wish you well with your procedure and recovery.

Old 08-15-2016, 07:13 PM   #7
    Lafayette2003
    (male)

Lafayette2003 HB User

I had a major left ankle reconstruction last March (male, 47 yrs old, office work). It was surgery #6 on that ankle: 3 previous reconstruction for torn ligaments/tendons, 1 for neuroma and 1 to remove old hardware that was sticking out.
    Surgery #6 was to rebuild my ATL, and inspect my peroneus brevis: ATL as expected were torn, and the brevis was totally shredded, so the surgeons consolidate it with the longus, while patching up all the previous holes in my bones, and cleaning up all scar tissues. It was a 2h30min+ surgery. I had to be 6 weeks off my foot in a cast and then 6 more weeks in boot. At least coming back in the office with the scooter mid April was easy (especially in California).

Now I am most likely headed for another surgery (#7) after busting my left ankle 3 weeks ago and apparently totally torn my longus (can't be found on MRI). Having tomorrow an ultra sound with the hope that they can locate it.

The following user gives a hug of support to Lafayette2003:
    Justintime44 (08-16-2016)
    Old 08-16-2016, 09:45 AM   #8
    newt2456
    (female)

newt2456 HB User

Lafayette Ė you poor thing! Sounds like a lot of recovery! I never thought about the long term abuse on my ankles and the effect it would have on me. But Iím nervous about my other ankle down the road. Sending you healthy thoughts for your next surgery.

Old 08-16-2016, 10:45 AM   #9
    newt2456
    (female)

newt2456 HB User

Hey SheltiePupMom! I wish I could work remotely! I’m going to try and ask again when I meet with my boss 1 month out. It’s funny ‘cause when I went out last winter for my ankle I was told ‘we don’t do work from home’ but it just so happens a VP that I work with broke her ankle and had to have emergency surgery and guess what?! She’s working from home. So, I might be able to finagle that one  I also thought about trying to work at another location that is literally down the street – I could probably use the knee scooter to get there lol not really but it’s a very short drive and handicapped is 10’ from the door. I’m hoping my boss sees I’m trying to come back asap and frankly there’s no one else to do my job so I think I might be lucky that way too. It sucks though ‘cause I’m trying to push out my surgery but I don’t know if I’m going to make it that long! I’ve been in so much pain over the last few days I can barely stand it! Literally!
    Thanks to you all again for your support!
    Amy

Old 08-16-2016, 05:48 PM   #10
    SheltiePupMom
    (female)

SheltiePupMom HB User

Hi newt2456 - remote working is a real shift in corporate thinking. Unfortunately many professions don't lend themselves to working outside of the workplace. I think many feel they can't adequately manage an employee they can't physically see. The worry is that the employee will be doing things other than the work assigned to them. But when faced with being down one associate in the workplace - it's definitely worth trying the arrangement. Especially since you'll be stuck in bed and can't do much else! I am in a very high stress corporate job with constant urgent deliverables. I really agonized when to leave for the surgery to try and minimize the impact to my team. My short term disability arrangement requires that I completely step away from work. I couldn't even read emails on my phone! So I asked the doctor after my two weeks of lying flat on my back with my "toes above my nose" whether he thought I could return to work on a part time basis so that I could pick up some of the slack at work but be forced to shut down mid day to force myself to continue resting (wow-sorry for the run on sentence). I am concerned about fitting the PT into my schedule. I'm one of those people who are my own worst enemy - I never make enough time for myself. I don't exercise regularly or sleep enough. I worry that I won't make enough time for my PT and recovery.

So I've dragged on. I'm not sure what procedure you are looking at, but bottom line is that I hope you have a good support system at home. Having never injured my ankle or foot before I had NO IDEA how dependent I would be on someone else for help. I am extremely lucky to have an amazing husband who is a great cook and infinitely patient with me and this whole arrangement. He carries two glasses of wine and two dinner plates up and down the stairs each day. Oh - wine is fine if you're on oxycodone but not if you are taking Percocet or Tylenol 3 (nothing with Tylenol in it).

Good luck with everything! I hope you ask and receive good news about trying to work remotely and I hope your surgery and recovery go well! I will check back to see how you're doing.

Old 08-17-2016, 08:07 AM   #11
    newt2456
    (female)

newt2456 HB User

Oh boy SheltiePupMom Ė Can I relate! Well, I used to work for an excellent company that would let you work from home whenever. In fact, they won many awards for work/life balance and even Best Place to work for Single Mothers because they are so accommodating! It was really nice. But here Ė they are very rigid. I too am in a very high stress corporate job with urgent deliverables set by federal and state government. I keep trying to finagle my surgery and planning to move it out, but boy oh boy itís been very painful lately and donít know if I really can put it off. And I do worry about fitting in PT if I go back too soon. Iím a mover and a shaker Ė meaning I CANíT SIT STILL so this is truly going to be an exercise in patience for me.

Iím getting the following done: modified mcbride bunionectomy, proximal metatarsal osteotomy, left ankle ligament reconstruction (Brostrom), explore/debride peroneal tendon, repair if torn; arthroscopy of ankle impingement. Iím so freaked out about the bunion Ė it nauseates me just thinking about it; not to mention increases my anxiety. But all the work is pretty standard and tons of peeps on this site have been through it all and worse so if they and you  can do it so can I!

My husband only works 8hrs a week and heís extremely supportive, just like yours and cooks too. My in-laws and my Dad and Step-Mom plan to stop by too quite a bit. Asking for help is going to be another test for me as I think I can do everything by myself, as Iím sure you can relate. In fact, Iím a Border Collie Mom so weíre high strung together lol!

And thanks for the wine tip! Itíll be nice not to have to give that up  Thank you SO SO much for your support and well wishes!

Old 08-18-2016, 10:45 AM   #12
    BuckyGirl
    (female)

BuckyGirl HB User

Hello -

Had bone spur removed from behind my LT Achilles on 07/26. The achilles was partially detached to get to the bone spur, they also did a procedure higher up to lengthen the Achilles. Was NWB for 2 weeks, PWB since 8/8 with walking boot and cast. I went back to work (desk work) on 08/15 and it feels like I went back to fast. I can crutch around fine, but it's hard for me to get my foot up at my desk. By the time I get home It's sore and swollen (both feet just not the one I had surgery on. I also have a big bruise on my RT foot - it doesn't take much for me to bruise as I am on warfin. I regret going back this soon, but I had no choice, my PTO Time was exhausted and STD wouldn't be enough to cover my bills

Just curious - anyone else here recently have this kind of surgery?

Old 08-18-2016, 01:29 PM   #13
    SheltiePupMom
    (female)

SheltiePupMom HB User

Hi BuckyGirl - I'm sorry to hear about your problem. I think we all have been struggling with STD and PTO and how to balance that with our need to take care of ourselves. It does sound like you unfortunately had to go back a little sooner than would have been advisable. I wish you good luck. I hope you're feeling better quickly!

Old 08-19-2016, 11:14 AM   #14
    newt2456
    (female)

newt2456 HB User

It's really unfortunate how many people can't seem to take care of themselves properly, myself included, because of fear of losing money from their employer. Such a tragic shame! Sending healthy thoughts Buckygirl!

Reply Reply