It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

• Major foot pain a year after surgery (and two years after bunionectomy)

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 08-22-2016, 01:14 PM   #1
    diagoro
    (male)

diagoro HB User
    Major foot pain a year after surgery (and two years after bunionectomy)

Iím now 49, and up to a few years ago was extremely active. I was playing soccer up to four times a week (and in a competitive menís league), along with basketball, cycling and hiking. In December of 2013 I had my first foot surgery. I was diagnosed at Kaiser with a bunion, and had a bunionectomy on my right foot. They cut a v shape and inserted several screws. After a few months I started to experience pain that was very similar to before the surgery. Saw several Kaiser doctors through 2014, all of whom basically said to wait for extended time periods (that were growing longer with each visit) for the swelling to go down, and healing to finish. I eventually saw the department head, who expressed regret for my treatment, but would never give specifics, nor offer any treatment. He basically said ďthis is the way youíll be foreverĒ, which meant no longer playing sports.

I decided to leave Kaiser for that reason (and a few other similar instances). Within a month I was seeing a new podiatrist. He immediately diagnosed my issue as osteoarthritis from x-rays (which was never mentioned at Kaiser). A few months later I had my second surgery. He cleaned up the joint, removed the screw from the prior surgery, and placed a 1st MTP Joint Silastic Implant in the joint of the big toe. The foot seemingly healed well, per the follow up visits. And while the toe remained extremely stiff, there was no pain as before, just normal swelling.

I should add that I also had my left meniscus cut (not repaired) a two months later, in October 2015.

So, a year out from the second foot surgery and Iíve now developed a major pain issue. Iíve developed an extremely sore lump under my second two (next over from big one). Originally it only hurt after playing soccer, but would be fine with a day of rest. Gradually itís grown to be a painful at all times, and bad enough that I can barely walk. The first podiatrist said it was due to the joint taking all the pressure of walking, that my only option was surgery to shave down a bit of the bone. I had a second opinion who agreed with the diagnosis, but said that surgery would only push the pain to the next joint, and so on. He suggested a bone fusion. Both also suggested custom orthotics, which each sold for $450 (which insurance wont cover).

So (and apologies for the long winded story), has anyone else had this kind of issue? Iím usually good at researching online, but canít find any relevant/similar experiences. I should say Iím extremely worried. It looks like this is the end of my active life, which is highly ingrained with my social life. Iíve also lost a lot of confidence in the medical profession, at least after my experience with Kaiser.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-22-2016, 06:48 PM   #2
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
    Re: Major foot pain a year after surgery (and two years after bunionectomy)

Well, the first thing I'd do is ditch the podiatrists and find a Foot & Ankle Board certified ortho...preferably one in a sports medicine practice. You need a more experienced opinion. Have you actually seen your x rays?

Last edited by mod85; 08-22-2016 at 11:32 PM.

Old 08-23-2016, 08:20 AM   #3
    diagoro
    (male)

diagoro HB User
    Re: Major foot pain a year after surgery (and two years after bunionectomy)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
    Well, the first thing I'd do is ditch the podiatrists and find a Foot & Ankle Board certified ortho...preferably one in a sports medicine practice. You need a more experienced opinion. Have you actually seen your x rays?
    Thanks for the suggestion. My insurance/medical group is rather limited in who they will allow me to see. I've gone through serious hurdles with my current knee issue (having a second meniscus 'fix' surgery next month). Will look into a more sports oriented doctor.

I've seen the x-rays, and have the MRIs at home, but don't really know what I'm looking at.

Reply Reply

Tags
    bunionectomy, foot pain, lump, osteoarthritis