It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

  • My *** ankle experience

  • Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Thread Tools Search this Thread
    Old 09-17-2016, 11:43 PM   #1
    mbolly's Avatar
    Join Date: Jun 2016
    Posts: 1
    mbolly HB User
    Exclamation My *** ankle experience

    Hi all,

    I just felt it important to share my recent experience with *** (platelet rich plasma injections) so that others who are interested in getting this procedure might have more information. This is simply my experience and I’m sure everyone’s body and injuries would respond differently to the injections than I did. However, after reading a lot of *** success stories, I felt it important to contribute my story so that others may be aware that not all injections turn out successfully. Just for context, I am an otherwise healthy female in my late 20’s. Prior to this injury I was always very active (running, climbing, or yoga 5x a week).

    I fell indoor rock climbing (bouldering) and dislocated my ankle (inversion) by landing incorrectly on the soft mats. I was diagnosed with talar edema and high-grade sprains to the deep deltoid, spring ligament, anterior talofibular ligament, and anterior inferior tibiofibular ligament (these ligaments were partially torn), and tendosynovitis of the posterior tibial tendon. Yes, it was an absolute mess. I never did get surgery as all the tears were deemed non-surgical. I was non-weight bearing for 3 months to allow the talus to heal and was in a walking boot for a total of about 4.5 months. The talus responded really well to the rest and I have had no reoccurring symptoms with regards to the bone edema (thankfully!). I did however have chronic pain with the ligaments, which lead me to seek ***. I was crutch free in the house and for short distances but for anything longer than say ~50 yards I using them to support my weight for going longer distances.

    I got *** injections (with ultrasound guidance) into all of my ligament tears as well as my posterior tibial tendon (about 5 injections total). I was told that I would be in considerable pain for about 72 hours, after which the pain would subside. I was instructed to be non-weight bearing for as long as felt I needed to after the procedure, but that after a few days I should be fine just wearing a soft ankle brace. After a week I should feel as I did before the treatment, and after 2 weeks I should feel the *** start to “kick in”. After 8 weeks, the benefits would be maximized and I should feel all of the strength the *** provided me.

    Turns out that *** only made me worse. As expected, I was in considerable pain for about 72 hours after the injections and my ankle hurt a lot, somewhat like when I originally injured it. All well and good, I expected this. The need to take pain pills subsided after 72 hours and my foot wouldn’t hurt unless I moved it or put weight on it. I didn’t start to transition off the crutches for about a week, after which point I started to realize that something was wrong. As I started to walk again I wore the ankle brace and felt ok for the first day. But as I continued on with my routine of walking short distances in the house and using the crutches for longer distances, everything kind of fell apart. The location where I got the injections really hurt. My range of motion that I had gained since the injury disappeared and my ankle was really stiff again. When I walked through a step, it kind of felt like my arch was collapsing. My ankle which had felt relatively strong before the procedure felt really weak and mushy. My soft tissues ached all day and kept me up at night. I resolved that I would just have to go back on crutches full-time, and stick to mostly non-weight bearing. I was really devastated.

    I started back in to physical therapy 3 weeks after *** as instructed. I followed their treatment plan, I did everything by the book. Instead of 2 weeks, it took about 8 weeks to feel like I did before the procedure. I never felt the *** “kick in”. All it felt like was that I had reinjured myself. It took 2 months to recover from the injections.

    It’s been about 3 months since the procedure now, and I have yet to notice any benefits of ***. I feel like I really just traded the pains I had before the procedure for new pains and I went thorugh a lot of sadness dealing with such a physical, mental and financial set back (my *** cost about $1,500). I’m slowly making improvements with my range of motion and ankle strength, but still have a long way to go until I’m back to walking normally. I don’t think *** helped me at all, but rather delayed my recovery and caused me a lot of grief.

    I’m not saying don’t get ***. What I’m hoping to convey is that it isn’t a miracle cure-all for everyone and that you should seriously consider the side effects before getting injections.

    Last edited by mbolly; 09-18-2016 at 12:07 PM.

    Reply With Quote
    Sponsors Lightbulb
    Old 09-19-2016, 02:06 PM   #2
    mel g
    Senior Member
    Join Date: Sep 2014
    Posts: 110
    mel g HB Usermel g HB Usermel g HB Usermel g HB User
    Mbolly- thanks for sharing! I did not have as much *** as you but I had a couple rounds in my posterior tibial tendon and I also felt like I had reinjured myself and had to start from scratch with PT. I can't imagine how painful and difficult it has been for you with feeling like you went through the same injury twice! I was also really disappointed and extremely frustrated as I was trying to avoid a major surgery. BUT- as crazy as it sounds my tendon started to feel better about 3-6 months after the *** which is a hell of a lot longer than the 6-8 weeks I was also told. I had stopped doing PT bc I decided it was all a waste and I just road a bike and did elliptical to tolerance. So maybe you can still benefit from it I think it just takes so long to heal soft tissue injuries and this is like starting over bc they recreate inflammation. Plus the way they spin the blood can sometimes make a difference.
    I had to be in a boot for three weeks though. I couldn't walk for a few days anyway but I couldn't walk without the boot for snot 4-6 weeks.

    Reply With Quote
    Reply Reply

    ankle, ligament, prp

    Thread Tools Search this Thread
    Search this Thread:

    Advanced Search

    Posting Rules
    You may not post new threads
    You may not post replies
    You may not post attachments
    You may not edit your posts

    BB code is On
    Smilies are On
    [IMG] code is Off
    HTML code is Off
    Trackbacks are Off
    Pingbacks are Off
    Refbacks are Off

    Sign Up Today!

    Ask our community of thousands of members your health questions, and learn from others experiences. Join the conversation!

    I want my free account

    All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:25 AM.

    © 2020 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved.
    Do not copy or redistribute in any form!