It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

• can PTTD cause a hip replacement to dislocate

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 09-22-2016, 06:20 PM   #1
    ken4891
    (male)

ken4891 HB User
    Question can PTTD cause a hip replacement to dislocate

I had a hip replacement in 2012 and in 2014 fell from a ladder and caused PTTD (torn tibialis tendon leading to a fallen arch) on the same right side. I have intense pain in my hip replacement and can only surmise that PTTD has something to do with . Anyone have a similar situation.

My gait is outward due to the fallen arch, and my hip clicks often and I walk with a cane.

I am looking at PTTD surgery and hope it will straighten my walk and ease my hip discomfort.

Any thoughts?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-25-2016, 09:44 PM   #2
    JustMeJen
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

JustMeJen HB UserJustMeJen HB UserJustMeJen HB UserJustMeJen HB UserJustMeJen HB UserJustMeJen HB UserJustMeJen HB UserJustMeJen HB UserJustMeJen HB UserJustMeJen HB UserJustMeJen HB User
    Re: can PTTD cause a hip replacement to dislocate

It is possible that taking pressure off one joint can lead to another joint being misused. If you are turning your foot out that might make your hip sore. Have you done PT for the hip? If you haven't it might be good to do some before surgery as your hip has probably weakened and you need to go into surgery with as much muscle as possible since you're going to lose some before you are allowed to start re-building it. Definitely make sure your surgeon is aware. It is best to see an orthopedist with a foot/ankle specialization for surgery so he/she should be able to check the hip out well. IF you are seeing a podiatrist I really recommend finding an ortho. Podiatrists just aren't as thoroughly trained. For example mine wanted to do one surgery on me. I needed 3. He missed 2 of them, including the worst part. He also wasn't projecting nearly enough recovery time. Mine also missed that my MRI report recommended getting a further scan because there was something on the ede of the scan. That was a scar tissue nodule that became very sore and was removed during surgery (so really 4 things were done).

I hope you find resolution.

Old 09-26-2016, 09:39 AM   #3
    teteri66
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User

I usually post on the "back problems" board but my response applies to you too. The feet are the foundation for the human body's structural alignment and posture. I think of it as a series of building blocks that stack. ( feet, ankle, knee, hips and pelvis, shoulders and head.) As one gets pulled out of position, it can effect the blocks above, throwing them out of alignment. When any particular part gets out of whack, it puts additional stress on other parts of the body as they work harder to compensate for this "unbalancing."

The body fights to maintain stability. When something hurts or is injured, the body compensates in an attempt to take pressure of the hurt area. This puts additional stress and work on muscles, tendons and soft tissue. This compensation often results in a change in gait...which changes the mechanics of walking and puts new stress on different parts of the body, often resulting in new muscle spasms, cramps, etc.

It is very probable that hip pain is a result of the foot issue and compensation for that issue.

Old 09-26-2016, 04:35 PM   #4
    ken4891
    (male)

ken4891 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by JustMeJen View Post
    It is possible that taking pressure off one joint can lead to another joint being misused. If you are turning your foot out that might make your hip sore. Have you done PT for the hip? If you haven't it might be good to do some before surgery as your hip has probably weakened and you need to go into surgery with as much muscle as possible since you're going to lose some before you are allowed to start re-building it. Definitely make sure your surgeon is aware. It is best to see an orthopedist with a foot/ankle specialization for surgery so he/she should be able to check the hip out well. IF you are seeing a podiatrist I really recommend finding an ortho. Podiatrists just aren't as thoroughly trained. For example mine wanted to do one surgery on me. I needed 3. He missed 2 of them, including the worst part. He also wasn't projecting nearly enough recovery time. Mine also missed that my MRI report recommended getting a further scan because there was something on the ede of the scan. That was a scar tissue nodule that became very sore and was removed during surgery (so really 4 things were done).

I hope you find resolution.
    A big thank you for the information regarding a podiatrist vs an ortho and then starting at the foot as the building block to other problems I am having.It's funny how pain in the hip can radiate to the knee and vice versa, making decisions about remedy a bit harder

Reply Reply

Tags
    gait, hip, pttd