It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

posterior tibial tendon reconstruction with fdl transfer

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-01-2016, 07:59 PM   #1
rbrunner2
(male)

rbrunner2 HB User
posterior tibial tendon reconstruction with fdl transfer

I recently had posterior tibial tendon reconstruction with fdl transfer surgery, and am in my 4th week of recovery. I am planning to get my other foot done after 11 weeks, and wanted to know if anyone else who had this surgery thinks that is too aggressive? I just don't know if I'll ever have another time as convenient as it is right now to be off my feet for this long again. My biggest concern is that right now I'm working my non-operated on foot so much with the other foot being in a cast, that I don't know if I could handle only having my newly constructed foot to stand on while the other is in a cast. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-08-2016, 10:51 PM   #2
Cass983
(female)

Cass983 HB UserCass983 HB UserCass983 HB User
Re: posterior tibial tendon reconstruction with fdl transfer

Well here's my take on it. I had my left foot operated on back in 2015 (in signature below). My right foot is fine and I intend to keep it that way, lol. Knowing how rough and long the repair is on one foot, I myself couldn't even imagine having the other foot done so soon. Hopefully someone else will chime in but myself, i couldn't do it. I'd have to have some time in there, but that's just me.

Good Luck to you

Old 11-09-2016, 06:29 PM   #3
rbrunner2
(male)

rbrunner2 HB User

Thanks for your input. I've been thinking the same thing. But I've also been thinking, if it's a year before it starts getting back to normal, and I wait a year for the other foot, I'm looking at 2 years of having only one good foot. So it's either 6 months of hell followed by 6 months of frustration, or 2 years of frustration. I have an appointment Monday where I (fingers crossed) get this cast off and switch to the boot, and I have to give him my final decision then.
So now that you're at about a year and three months, are you pretty close to back to normal? Do you remember when it stopped being painful to walk on? I've read some posts about it still hurting on the outside edge when they walk after six months. And all in all, are you happy with your results?

Old 11-10-2016, 12:01 AM   #4
Cass983
(female)

Cass983 HB UserCass983 HB UserCass983 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbrunner2 View Post
Thanks for your input. I've been thinking the same thing. But I've also been thinking, if it's a year before it starts getting back to normal, and I wait a year for the other foot, I'm looking at 2 years of having only one good foot. So it's either 6 months of hell followed by 6 months of frustration, or 2 years of frustration. I have an appointment Monday where I (fingers crossed) get this cast off and switch to the boot, and I have to give him my final decision then.
So now that you're at about a year and three months, are you pretty close to back to normal? Do you remember when it stopped being painful to walk on? I've read some posts about it still hurting on the outside edge when they walk after six months. And all in all, are you happy with your results?
Yeah, I get what you're saying. I don't think my family would've been able to go through it so soon for the other foot, lol.

I have to say I feel for those who had to have a cast on after surgery. I had a soft cast for I believe 7 days after surgery and then they took it off and I used the boot. However, in all honesty, my foot was way too swollen to be in the boot for a while but they wanted me to put it on as best as I could just to protect the foot. Wish I would have listened as I ended up losing my balance on the scooter and used the repaired foot to break my fall. Not fun but luckily no damage was sustained.

I'd say it stopped being painful (for the most part) by Christmas of last year. The worst is when all the nerves are waking up. That is brutal, at least it was for me. Do you have staples? I have really bony feet so when those staples came out, OMG, I thought I was going to pass out, very painful. (Hope I'm not scaring you, it's not my intention)

I am pretty much back to normal on that foot. I'm still not able to fully stand alone on that foot on tip toes but it's getting there. Yes the outside of the foot and mid foot still bothers me to this day. My take on it is it's the screw that's in there. When I went for my year check up he said I could have it removed at any time. I said I'd give it a bit to see how it feels but I think I am going to have the screw removed. Sometimes if I step or flex just right it zings me pretty good and then I start spewing obscenities so I think it's time for it to come out.

Keep me posted on your appointment!

Old 11-10-2016, 03:03 PM   #5
rbrunner2
(male)

rbrunner2 HB User

I had the soft cast for the first 10 days, and then went to the hard cast at my first follow-up on day 10. He said the purpose of the hard cast was not only for protection, but so he could position the foot in a way to keep the tendon tight and I couldn't try and wiggle it around to stretch it. So it's actually angled inward and down a bit, which is very uncomfortable. But the fact that I can't take it off is probably good, because I've fallen off my scooter at least 5 times. The cast is really heavy too, so when I fall, I fall hard. But no damage since the cast is solid, except for maybe the tips of my toes get banged.
I also had staples, they came out at that first appointment when the cast went on. The ones that were really bad were as they started to get up around the ankle, and on the back of the heal. Each one was like getting stung by a hornet. I had the intense pins and needles and spasms a lot that I think are the nerves coming back last week, but have been a little better this week. But I'm sure I still have a long time left of them since a lot of the outer side, including my pinky toe, are still really numb. Christmas time would have been about 4 1/2 month for you I think, so that's encouraging. Means I'll have about a month and a half of overlap with the pain.
I've never heard of getting the screws out, but then again I never thought to ask about that. That's interesting, I hope that's something I am able to do someday down the road as well. I have some tiny screws in my jaw that don't bother me, but the ones they used in our feet look pretty massive. I'm actually pretty curious about how they'll look in the x-ray I get Monday. Let me know how that goes with getting them removed.

Reply Reply

Tags
fdl tendon transfer, foot and ankle, posterior tibilal tendon reconstruction